Delay on New WikiEducator Accounts?

Steve Foerster

Feb 23, 2019, 4:11:44 PM2/23/19
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know whether there is a human approval component to new accounts being established on WikiEducator, and if so who those humans are? A colleague has tried to create an account, has confirmed his email address, but has not received his password and it’s been a couple of days.

Thanks,

--
Steve Foerster
President | New World University

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 23, 2019, 8:55:11 PM2/23/19
to WikiEducator
Hi Steve,

Sadly we needed to introduce a human approval loop for new accounts a few years ago to manage spam more effectively. There are only two of us overseeing new accounts and sometimes we fall a little behind. The outstanding account requests over the last week have been approved and I apologise for the delay in approving your colleague's account.

Best wishes
Wayne

Wayne Mackintosh
Director OER Foundation and OERu facilitator
UNESCO - ICDE Chair in OER

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WikiEducator" group.

Steve Foerster

Feb 24, 2019, 12:15:34 PM2/24/19
to WikiEducator
Many thanks, Wayne.

Deterring spammers through verification is entirely reasonable! Do you want help? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be happy to lend a hand.

Cheers,

-=Steve=-

Declan

Mar 2, 2019, 8:44:16 PM3/2/19
to WikiEducator
Hi Wayne and Steve

I'd also be happy to screen a few.  Also I have a project cooking and I'd like to be able to approve new users for that purpose if that is possible.  I guess I'm a Sysop and Wikiambasador....is user creation within my mystical powers?  And if so....is there a Wikimedia instruction page I can follow?

Cheers

Declan

Sarthak Bisht

Mar 16, 2020, 12:48:28 PM3/16/20
to WikiEducator
Hi Wayne,

Which tool are you using to approve requests and create new user accounts? Would it help to port it to a mobile platform for manual approvals and automate the rest?

Thanks & Regards
Sarthak Bisht