Taking OER remix to new levels: WikiEducator, Connexions and Mediawiki

4 views
Skip to first unread message

Wayne Mackintosh

unread,
Nov 17, 2009, 6:50:51 PM11/17/09
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

With generous funding support from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the OER Foundation is pleased to announce that we are able to take OER interoperability and remix potential to new levels.

Collaborating with OER projects which subscribe to licenses which meet the requirements of the free cultural works definition, WE aim to provide educators with greater freedom of choice to mix and match the best of two OER worlds, namely "producer-consumer" models with more traditional work flow approaches and commons-based peer production. This is an exciting project to build import export capability between the Connexions and WikiEducator/Mediawiki platforms.

WE need your help in building better OER futures.

  1. Please visit the project planning node to find out more about the project: http://wikieducator.org/CNX-WE
  2. WE extend an open invitation to all Connexions authors, WikiEducator authors, editors of the Wikimedia Foundation Projects to help us achieve success with this project.
  3. WE will use the Connexions mailing list on Google Groups for our discussions -- Join the list if you're interested (http://groups.google.co.nz/group/connexions-community )
  4. Visit the mini SWOT analysis page on WikiEducator and help us understand the context and remix needs of educators and OER authors (http://tinyurl.com/yakk4vm)
  5. Consider joining our open planning team or list of active contributors (http://tinyurl.com/yed7erx )
Gee -- you gotta love open philanthropy! Let's make OER remix and interoperability futures happen for education.

Cheers
Wayne



--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,
International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Board of Directors, OER Foundation.
Founder and Community Council Member, Wikieducator, www.wikieducator.org
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg

Wong Leo

unread,
Nov 17, 2009, 7:43:03 PM11/17/09
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, WikiEducator
Tks Wayne for this , does this Connexions have anything to do with OCLC ?

2009/11/18 Wayne Mackintosh <mackinto...@gmail.com>



--
Leo Wong
--------------------------------------
http://helpsuzhou.blogbus.com/ HELP
There is something very special and powerful about engaging directly with the real teacher and real Kids

Steve Foerster

unread,
Nov 17, 2009, 7:44:39 PM11/17/09
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, WikiEducator
Wayne wrote:

> With generous funding support from the William and Flora
> Hewlett Foundation, the OER Foundation is pleased to
> announce that we are able to take OER interoperability
> and remix potential to new levels.

That's very exciting! I've been thinking about something not unrelated
to this. I hope that as a movement, that OER people and those producing
open learning mangement systems like Moodle can work more closely
together on releases of our content that can be dropped into their
systems. More about what I mean is here:

http://tinyurl.com/ydlxwgp


> Collaborating with OER projects which subscribe to licenses
> which meet the requirements of the free cultural works
> definition, WE aim to provide educators with greater
> freedom of choice to mix and match the best of two OER
> worlds, namely "producer-consumer" models with more
> traditional work flow approaches and commons-based peer
> production.

I'm glad there's an effort for producers with compatible licenses to
cooperate, although I can't help but think that it partially serves to
highlight the absurdity of needing licenses at all, especially for
educational use.

-=Steve=-


--
Stephen H. Foerster
http://hiresteve.com
http://hiresteve.com/blog
http://wikieducator.org/steve

Wayne Mackintosh

unread,
Nov 17, 2009, 7:57:33 PM11/17/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leo,

I'm not sure -- but don't think so. Connexions is an OER project that has been going for some time, based out of Rice University:

See: http://www.cnx.org

Cheers
W

2009/11/18 Wong Leo <leol...@gmail.com>

jkelly952

unread,
Nov 18, 2009, 10:24:02 AM11/18/09
to WikiEducator
If there is a lesson in CNX that we want to bring into our WE page is
it better to copy and paste the lesson into our WE page, or to set up
a link to the CNX lesson (both with the proper credit being given ) ?
The later I did with http://wikieducator.org/ACUTE_ANGLE_%28k-12math.info%29
, but now having second thoughts.

Jim kelly
http://wikieducator.org/User:Jkelly952


On Nov 17, 3:50 pm, Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> With generous funding support from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation,
> the OER Foundation is pleased to announce that we are able to take OER
> interoperability and remix potential to new levels.
>
> Collaborating with OER projects which subscribe to licenses which meet the
> requirements of the free cultural works definition, WE aim to provide
> educators with greater freedom of choice to mix and match the best of two
> OER worlds, namely "producer-consumer" models with more traditional work
> flow approaches and commons-based peer production. This is an exciting
> project to build import export capability between the Connexions and
> WikiEducator/Mediawiki platforms.
>
> WE need your help in building better OER futures.
>
>    1. Please visit the project planning node to find out more about the
>    project:http://wikieducator.org/CNX-WE
>    2. WE extend an open invitation to all Connexions authors, WikiEducator
>    authors, editors of the Wikimedia Foundation Projects to help us achieve
>    success with this project.
>    3. WE will use the Connexions mailing list on Google Groups for our
>    discussions -- Join the list if you're interested (
>    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/connexions-community)
>    4. Visit the mini SWOT analysis page on WikiEducator and help us
>    understand the context and remix needs of educators and OER authors (
>    http://tinyurl.com/yakk4vm)
>    5. Consider joining our open planning team or list of active contributors

Wayne Mackintosh

unread,
Nov 18, 2009, 4:19:16 PM11/18/09
to WikiEducator
Jim,

Good question -- I think that depend on your objectives. Do you want
to adapt, modify and encourage collaborative authoring? If so, then
better to copy & paste the text over.

If you want to use the lesson as is -- then it would be easier to link
to CNX.

Good news -- in the future, once we have built the CNX-Mediawiki
import export feature -- you will have the best of both worlds. Click
a button and you'll be able to pull / push WE /CNX content in both
directions :-)

If you have an interest in this sort of thing -- please feel free to
add your thoughts here:

http://tinyurl.com/ye6aycx

or join our planning group -- these way the functionality we build
will be user driven :-)

http://tinyurl.com/yed7erx

Cheers
Wayne

On Nov 19, 4:24 am, jkelly952 <jkelly...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> If there is a lesson in CNX that we want to bring into our WE page is
> it better to copy and paste the lesson into our WE page, or to set up
> a link to the CNX lesson (both with the proper credit being given ) ?
> The later I did with  http://wikieducator.org/ACUTE_ANGLE_%28k-12math.info%29
> , but now having second thoughts.
>
> Jim kellyhttp://wikieducator.org/User:Jkelly952

simonfj

unread,
Nov 27, 2009, 7:22:00 PM11/27/09
to WikiEducator
Leo,

I'm intrugued as to why you ask. I've been trying to get OCLC involved
in the OE world forever. Considering we have so many duplications of
(free) edu/research archives and only one webbed world, where OCLC
members do most of the physical classifying, they would seem an
influntial partner. I'll just mention http://orweblog.oclc.org/

But tell us, why OCLC?

On Nov 18, 11:43 am, Wong Leo <leolao...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tks Wayne for this , does this Connexions have anything to do with OCLC ?
>
> 2009/11/18 Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com>
>
>
>
> > Hi Everyone,
>
> > With generous funding support from the William and Flora Hewlett
> > Foundation, the OER Foundation is pleased to announce that we are able to
> > take OER interoperability and remix potential to new levels.
>
> > Collaborating with OER projects which subscribe to licenses which meet the
> > requirements of the free cultural works definition, WE aim to provide
> > educators with greater freedom of choice to mix and match the best of two
> > OER worlds, namely "producer-consumer" models with more traditional work
> > flow approaches and commons-based peer production. This is an exciting
> > project to build import export capability between the Connexions and
> > WikiEducator/Mediawiki platforms.
>
> > WE need your help in building better OER futures.
>
> >    1. Please visit the project planning node to find out more about the
> >    project:http://wikieducator.org/CNX-WE
> >    2. WE extend an open invitation to all Connexions authors, WikiEducator
> >    authors, editors of the Wikimedia Foundation Projects to help us achieve
> >    success with this project.
> >    3. WE will use the Connexions mailing list on Google Groups for our
> >    discussions -- Join the list if you're interested (
> >    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/connexions-community)
> >    4. Visit the mini SWOT analysis page on WikiEducator and help us
> >    understand the context and remix needs of educators and OER authors (
> >    http://tinyurl.com/yakk4vm)
> >    5. Consider joining our open planning team or list of active

Karen

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 5:16:11 PM12/4/09
to WikiEducator
Wayne,

This sounds like an excellent project. Thanks for making your proposal
publicly available. It was thought-provoking to me as I've been
thinking about some related work of porting content between open CMSs
and LMSs (possibly Connexions and Moodle).

I will follow the development of your project with interest.

Regards,

karen
--
Karen Fasimpaur
K12 Open Ed
www.k12opened.com
* Help build the future of open education at http://dictionary.k12opened.com

Samuel Rose

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 5:37:56 PM12/4/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wayne and WikiEducator!
This sounds amazing!

http://forwardfound.org is working with http://appropedia.org and
http://p2pfoundation.org on some perhaps related media wiki
interoperability (some of it based on http://flows.panarchy.com spec)

I will pop back into this thread and detail when I have more time.
But, just wanted to comment that this looks fantastic. Thanks!

--
--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samue...@gmail.com
http://socialsynergyweb.com
http://forwardfound.org
http://socialsynergyweb.org/culturing
http://flowsbook.panarchy.com/
http://socialmediaclassroom.com
http://localfoodsystems.org
http://notanemployee.net
http://communitywiki.org

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human
ambition." - Carl Sagan

Wayne Mackintosh

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 5:56:36 PM12/4/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen,

The OER Foundation practices open philanthropy --- all our strategic plans, funding proposals etc. are developed openly and transparently in the wiki -- this way we can avoid unnecessary duplication. Together WE achieve far more than working alone :-)

You may be interested in the work we are doing here in New Zealand's national OER commons for the school sector (http://nz.wikieducator.org/New_Zealand_Schools_OER_Portal).

We are also working with the approved vendors to improve integration of WikiEducator content with  LMSs and Moodle is one of the approved vendors.

Watch this space and help us make the future happen.

Cheers
Wayne






2009/12/5 Karen <kmfas...@gmail.com>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "WikiEducator" group.
To visit wikieducator: http://www.wikieducator.org
To visit the discussion forum: http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator
To post to this group, send email to wikied...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
wikieducator...@googlegroups.com



--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,
International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Board of Directors, OER Foundation.
Founder and Community Council Member, Wikieducator, www.wikieducator.org
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
User Page: http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages