Re: Tectonic Shift Phase 2 / Tech

Erik Moeller

Feb 12, 2008, 1:11:21 AM2/12/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
On 2/9/08, mackiwg <WMack...@col.org> wrote:
> I really like the idea of a dedicated technical track as well, and it
> would really be great if we could bring together some of the future WE
> server admin team together with the MW gurus @ WMF. Thinking hard
> here ... I could probably get some funding together to cover travel
> and accommodation of the WE related team -- my limitation, as a
> Commonwealth agency is that I would need to host the technical track
> in a Commonwealth country. Preferably a location where I can optimise
> travel costs.

Let's look at where people are. From our side, we'd probably want:

- Brion Vibber, myself: San Francisco
- Tim Starling: Sydney

It would probably also make sense to fly in 1-2 people from PediaPress
if possible (Germany).

Who from the WikEd techie folks?

> COL head office in Vancouver is naturally available -- but not sure if
> this is the optimal environment for a hackathon.

Hackers aren't picky - if that's what works best in terms of getting
funding, we'll take it. :-)

Cheers,
Erik
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

mackiwg

Feb 12, 2008, 2:20:22 AM2/12/08
to WikiEducator
Hi Erik --

In terms of wishlist from the WE side in terms of the sysadmin folk --
I would like to have:

1) Wen Chen Hol -- Auckland (NZ)
2) Brent Simpson - Auckland (NZ)
3) Jim Titsler (NZ)
4) Rob Kruhlak -- Vancouver, (CA) -- depending on timing this could be
NZ
5) Jibril Touzi -- Cameroon.
6) Philip Serracina Inglott - Malta

I've not spoken to any of these folk on above yet -- so this may be a
surprise and all of this is budget willing etc.

In addition I think we try and get a good techie rep from Connexions
and also someone from Educommons.

We start getting these folk together -- we're on the path to creating
a tectonic shift ....

Have we forgotten anyone off the list?

Wayne

Leigh Blackall

Feb 12, 2008, 2:34:18 AM2/12/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Kaltura developers

Peter

Feb 16, 2008, 5:15:48 PM2/16/08
to WikiEducator
Is there an agenda forming for this Tectonic Shift?

I'd like to request an agenda item, if someone doesn't already have an
answer (solution) for this...

I'm wanting to "subclass" a module I created without making change the
original. I also don't want to have to change the whole module. More
like an override than a subclass... To put it into context I created
CCNC Module 5 (http://www.wikieducator.org/CCNC/CCNC_Module_5) for
OpenOffice 2.0 and now I want to create a version for OpenOffice 2.3
without impacting the 2.0 version of CCNC. And I don't want to make a
complete copy of the 2.0 version and alter it for 2.3 I want to only
change the pieces that need to be changed... I also think this has an
application for localizing any module within WikiEducator... Only
localize what you need. the rest stays the same, and if someone makes
a change to the parent this is automatically a part of the
"subclassed"...

Cheers,

Peter

Peter

Mar 13, 2008, 2:18:47 PM3/13/08
to WikiEducator
Wayne, Eric, & Leigh,

This thread went quiet. I certainly hope this discussion didn't go
"underground" as openness is a key to success...
Anyhow... I am curious as to the agenda for the second tectonic think
tank for I'd like to know the status of feature requests made last
year and as an OER content creator I'd like to have a chance to
influence the direction of discussion. I often find these sort of
workshops focus to much on the technology and not enough on pedagogy
and content creation.
My $0.02

Peter

mackiwg

Mar 14, 2008, 11:16:48 PM3/14/08
to WikiEducator
Nope -- not going underground here ... it's not the WE way.

Arrangements are very much in the conceptual phase. We've got to find
the money, place and location for the event.

Rest assured that when Tectonic 2 takes place -- everything will be
done on the wiki, so you'll get more than your $0.02 cents worth!

Cheers
Wayne