Easy to use platform

Joyce.M...@esc.edu

Feb 11, 2010, 10:28:11 AM2/11/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, Joyce.M...@esc.edu, Frank.Va...@esc.edu

Hi folks. Some colleagues and I at SUNY/Empire State College are
interested in a platform that does the following inexpensively or free. We
thought that perhaps someone out there might have some suggestions...it
would be especially good if this could hook in well to wikieducator as we
want to eventually share our resources.

1. Easy navigation (e.g. no multi-level clicking to get to content)
2. Easy drop-in and drop-out so students can take part in the learning
when they have time.
3. multiple learning projects to take place at once, and be started
whenever the interest arises
4. transfer to an e-portfolio
5. robust, intuitive discussion spaces
6. some sort of archiving function so that a student's work over a certain
period can be reviewed for PLA credit

Samuel Rose

Feb 11, 2010, 10:38:48 AM2/11/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, Joyce.M...@esc.edu, Frank.Va...@esc.edu
Joyce, given my experience here so far Wikieducator community is a
great place to get many valuable answers to this question

we have some of this integrated into open source
http://socialmediaclassroom.com/community/ platform, FYI.

I hope to help create a bridging relationship between
http://socialmediaclassroom.com/community/ and the Wikieducator
community over time, as there are many areas of overlap.

The media wiki platform in use in wiki educator community could also
really be a powerful, flexible, adaptable choice for doing everything
you describe below. I could see a pathway with media wiki and
extensions, and the way they are used in wikieducator to do
practically everything you describe.

> --

Sam Rose
Forward Foundation
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samue...@gmail.com
http://socialsynergyweb.com
http://forwardfound.org
http://socialsynergyweb.org/culturing
http://flowsbook.panarchy.com/
http://socialmediaclassroom.com
http://localfoodsystems.org
http://notanemployee.net
http://communitywiki.org

ambition." - Carl Sagan

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 11, 2010, 11:05:34 PM2/11/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, Joyce.M...@esc.edu, Frank.Va...@esc.edu
Hi Joyce,

A few random thoughts ...
  • Going with an open source software solution will increase future flexibility and freedom of choice  --- if you don't like the technology, its easier to change ;-) However, looking at the range of things you would like to do -- there are excellent open source solutions covering the full range of requirements to suite your needs.
  • Wiki's are a great technology for a wide range of applications --- the power to innovate is in the hands of the user. So be sure to have a wiki somewhere in the solution mix.  -- On that note, WikiEducator is free both in terms of cost and freedom of speech. So you are free to use WikiEducator :-D.  In addition we provide free training support for educators -- at least one free workshop every month. We're a friendly bunch of educators form around the world and WE would love to help and support colleagues at Empire state.
  • Don't fall into the "Leatherman trap" --- That is a technology that attempts to be all things to all people. You end up with a device that has every conceivable tool, but none of the tools really do what you want them to do because they weren't designed for the job.
  • Technology will change -- there was life before Google, and Wikipedia. Therefore it's plausible to assume that there will be life after Google and Wikipedia. In short, community is more important than technology and learning to deal with technological change is an important life skill in a connected world.
We'd be happy to share thoughts and ideas from our experiences if that's any help for your team @ Empire State.

Education is about sharing knowledge freely --- that's what WE do!

Cheers
Wayne

Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,
International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Board of Directors, OER Foundation.
Founder and Community Council Member, Wikieducator, www.wikieducator.org
Mobile +64 21 2436 380