WikiEducator activity chart

Jim Tittsler

Jul 13, 2013, 4:07:33 AM7/13/13
to wikieducator-tech
A new widget showing a user's recent activity in WikiEducator, built
with the d3 data visualization library and metadata.
http://wikieducator.org/User:JimTittsler#My_Recent_Contributions

--
Jim Tittsler Te Anau, NZ
http://OERfoundation.org/

Luis Miguel Morillas

Jul 13, 2013, 4:21:53 AM7/13/13
to wikieducator-tech
Cool! Is it possible to add this widget to es.wikieducator.org ?

Regards,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)

2013/7/13 Jim Tittsler <j...@oerfoundation.org>:

Randy Fisher

Jul 13, 2013, 5:10:27 AM7/13/13
to wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Does it automatically launch - where does it display - in the User Profile?

- Randy
--

- Randy

________________
Randy Fisher, MA, Organization Development (Fielding)
Specializing in Learning, Performance & Evaluation

Ottawa Learnery - http://ottawa.learnery.org

+1 613.722.5577 (EST, GMT - 5) - home/office
+1 613.899.0475 (EST, GMT - 5) - cell (seldom on, I do not check messages frequently)

iCentro Learning - http://www.icentro.ca
Open to consulting, marketing, mentoring and coaching opportunities.

Free E-Book: Visit: www.CommunityEngagementExpert.com

Skype: wikirandy
LinkedIn Profile
Wordle
Yoga Flowers.ca

Luis Miguel Morillas

Jul 13, 2013, 5:17:02 AM7/13/13
to wikieducator-tech
2013/7/13 Randy Fisher <wiki...@gmail.com>:
> Does it automatically launch - where does it display - in the User Profile?

Where you add the widget:

{{#widget:WikiEducatorActivity|user=Username}}

Regards,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)

Jim Tittsler

Jul 13, 2013, 6:55:45 PM7/13/13
to wikieducator-tech
On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Luis Miguel Morillas
<mori...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool! Is it possible to add this widget to es.wikieducator.org ?

This is just a prototype of a number of data visualizations I would
like to do... so it seems a little early.

But I've copied the widget to es.WE. Expect changes.

vtaylor

Jul 14, 2013, 2:28:04 PM7/14/13
to wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jim

Very clever. Is this processing intensive? Can I use it as "decoration" on my user page? Half the height (or less)  would make a nice "banner" without taking up too much page real estate.

What other visualizations are you considering?

Jim Tittsler

Jul 14, 2013, 9:03:46 PM7/14/13
to wikieducator-tech
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 6:28 AM, vtaylor <vta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very clever. Is this processing intensive? Can I use it as "decoration" on
> my user page? Half the height (or less) would make a nice "banner" without
> taking up too much page real estate.

It isn't *too* bad, and there are some things I could do to mitigate
the processor load if necessary. Thanks for the feedback. I'll
investigate adding a size parameter.

> What other visualizations are you considering?

This is very simple minded, counting all edits as equal... which is
clearly bogus since there are some people that use the 'Save' button
in cases where others use 'Preview' (and as an OERf employee, I
really want to encourage the use of 'Preview' since 'Save' costs us
more money :-). I am tempted to use contribution size, but that is
also easy to "game."

I am also interested in showing more of *what* I am working on
(instead of *when*), and who I am collaborating with... but this was
the easiest to implement so decided to start here.

vtaylor

Jul 15, 2013, 12:06:25 PM7/15/13
to wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Guilty - while I appreciate the difference, I normally just Save. Often I think I am done, then realize that something needs to be changed.

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:03:46 PM UTC-4, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> there are some people that use the 'Save' button
in cases where others use 'Preview'  (and as an OERf employee, I
really want to encourage the use of 'Preview' since 'Save' costs us
more money :-).

Interesting - would be nice to "see" examples of collaboration and focus.

I know for myself that I tend to work in a couple of areas and not touch others for long periods. Network diagram of my space with areas where there has been activity highlighted? Intensity? Over time? Just thinking what would be nice to know.

Jim Tittsler

May 21, 2014, 3:49:54 AM5/21/14
to wikieducator-tech
On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Jim Tittsler <j...@oerfoundation.org> wrote:
> A new widget showing a user's recent activity in WikiEducator, built
> with the d3 data visualization library and metadata.
> http://wikieducator.org/User:JimTittsler#My_Recent_Contributions

The widget was not handling crossing the year boundary gracefully. I
*finally* got around to fixing it (after stumbling on the script while
looking for something else). The version on en.WE and es.WE has been
updated.

http://WikiEducator.org/User:JimTittsler/Blog/2013#WE_Activity_Chart

--
Jim Tittsler Tokyo
http://OERfoundation.org/

Jim Tittsler

Oct 5, 2015, 10:31:15 AM10/5/15
to wikieducator-tech
This weekend I noticed that the WikiEducator activity chart was
rendering some events wrong when displayed in Chromium/Chrome. A bit
of poking around showed that current versions of Firefox and Chromium
disagree about the parsing of dates (without times), so the chart
widget now appends a 00:00:00.000 timestamp to ensure consistency.