nagging users to create profiles (user pages)

Jim Tittsler

Mar 1, 2015, 6:00:42 AM3/1/15
to wikieducator-tech
I have created a "user profile" gadget that has two functions:

1. If the logged in user has not populated their user page, it nags them with a notification.

2. If they visit their empty user page, they are presented with a form that will create sort of a bare minimum user profile. They can always manually edit the page later to refine it, but at least we get to know a little bit about the users.

3. Users can disable the nagging by visiting the Gadgets tab of their Preferences.  (This may also speed up response for users that have completed their page by a mS or two. The gadget may become self-aware enough to disable itself in that case.)

Feedback (and refinements) welcome.

--
Jim Tittsler                 Tokyo
 http://OERfoundation.org/

Wayne Mackintosh

Mar 1, 2015, 5:30:30 PM3/1/15
to wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

I like this gadget!

Have just tested with a new account and everything worked as expected.  With the upcoming DS4OER course where I anticipate a number of new account holders - we should get a feel for how the new gadget impacts on new account behaviour.

Nice one!

Wayne Mackintosh
Director OER Foundation
UNESCO/COL/ICDE Chair in OER