[WE Council] What would an improved "consensus" proposal for 3rd party media look like

Wayne Mackintosh

May 14, 2010, 2:39:21 AM5/14/10
to wikieducator-co...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Been thinking about what an improved  "consensus" consensus proposal for 3rd party media might look like in an attempt to bring together the thoughts and contributions from the meeting. That is trying to find a solution where everyone wins and gets more than we had before without compromising our values:

See:

http://wikieducator.org/Community_Council/Meetings/Third/Guidelines_for_embedding_links_to_third_party_media/Straw_Dog_3#Fourth_alternative_--_a_possible_.22consensus.22_ammendment.3F

I think this draft overcomes two major limitations of the current amendment on the table:

  • Immediate implementation is not possible -- the technical team needs a little time to sort out templates and implementation detail.
  • Full implementation of the Widget extension would not be procedurally correct as Council has not had the opportunity to discuss the relevant agenda item (The Widget extension is configurable for specific sites -- therefor it can be enabled for the sites we approve.
  • It creates a mechanism to limit embedding to 3rd party links to sites which support Creative Commons License Tags and provide down loadable source files (both proprietary and free format source files)
  • It enables a pathway to work towards automated conversion of files into free file formats
  • It creates opportunities to educate users about free file formats
  • Unfortunately, it doesn't provide an immediate solution to guarantee links to free file formats in the short term, but does not compromise our policy commitment to free cultural works licensing in the medium term.
Take a look -- see what you think. How do we improve this?

Assuming this is a productive way forward -- we have a way to get this approved during this meeting session.

  • A majority "disapproval" of the current amended motion (http://tinyurl.com/27dcqbp)
  • Will enable the improved "consensus" proposal to be tabled as an amendment and voted on.
Can this work?

Cheers
Wayne

--