[WE Council] How do we address the now for embedding links to 3rd party media?

Wayne Mackintosh

May 8, 2010, 7:59:54 AM5/8/10
to wikieducator-co...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leigh (& Council members)

WikiEducator is an open source project committed to the free cultural works definition.

Nonetheless, the OER Foundation is committed to lowering the barriers for educators around the world to participate in using free file formats irrespective of the technology choices they make. I agree that we should find creative and more easy ways to convert files into free file formats without the user needing to worry about this. We aim to achieve this goal.

I've been working hard at researching and finding a solution that will work now to embed 3rd party media, without compromising WikiEducator core values.

I've posted a demo of my findings and experiments so far -- sure there is room for improvement, but at least we know that we can embed links to 3rd party video that uses open file formats -- see:

http://wikieducator.org/Community_Council/Meetings/Third/Guidelines_for_embedding_links_to_third_party_media#How_do_links_to_3rd_party_free_format_file_video_work_in_WE.3F

(I used one of the Khan Academy Videos for this experiment.)

Sadly the proprietary BlipTV example, despite advertising conversions to free file formats on the Archive have not materialised, despite waiting for 11 days. I'm still getting the message:  It looks like we're still in the process of distributing your file to Internet Archive. Hang tight, this could take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes."

I'd prefer to rely on trusted partners in the free culture.

Cheers
Wayne

On 8 May 2010 18:42, Leigh Blackall <leighb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oh dear.. apology NOT accepted - because one is not needed! Enabling MP3 and FLV was the right decision. It seems to me that the dogged adherence to free and open file formats, when (let's be honest) free and open multi media formats leave us VERY short is just a rediculous reason to avoid using media now. The MP3 and FLV were enabled for a very good reason. To helped make those WE Help pages as good as they are! And without those Help pages, Wikieducator wouldn't be where it is today, and thousands of people would be clueless about MediaWiki.

I can't believe I let myself get dragged into this age old debate again. If only the rest of the Council was vocal on this obvious practical step forward! Keep MP3 and FLV in WE. Work to getting the free and open alternatives in there too (evidently though, the demand has been low over all these years, but still..), enable the embedding of 3rd party media now, get a working party onto finding the tool that will assist people creating those free and open format derivatives.

Alternatively, delay the vote long enough to see Leigh's resignation through.. then avoid using media further with a Working Party who will discover we should have done it years ago, and that we will have to support proprietary right along side free if we really care about inclusion and usability.

But best this conversation continue on the wiki, although I've obviously said my piece!

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Wayne Mackintosh <mackinto...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Leigh,

Was a good match (our team won :-)) -- It's a pleasure to watch seniors play soccer -- you get to see the ball because 20 players are not swarming around the ball!

Leigh, thank you for raising a significant point of order. I agree that the use of encumbered file formats (like MP3 and FLV) does draw Wikieducator's current status into question. Clearly, this is a transgression of our policy to adhere to free cultural works licensing.

You are right that installing the MP3 and FLV player extensions was my decision. I've explained the background in the wiki --

http://wikieducator.org/Community_Council/Meetings/Third/Guidelines_for_embedding_links_to_third_party_media#Point_of_order

However, I must offer a public apology to the WikiEducator community for not ensuring that a free file format of these resource would be available in addition to the encumbered formats on the site. I take full responsibility for this error, and I will personally work at converting each MP3 and FLV file on the wiki so that we have also have an free file format equivalent available. (I hope that I'll get a little help otherwise I'm going to be pretty busy these coming weekends ;-))

I trust that the Council and community will accept my apology for transgressing our community policy.

Cheers
Wayne

On 8 May 2010 09:58, Leigh Blackall <leighb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wayne, I've requested a point of order from you regarding the discussion between Kim and I on the motion for the 3rd Party Media.

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 6:31 AM, Wayne Mackintosh <mackinto...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

We're making progress and thank you for your patience. Almost there.

Voting is now active on the motion relating to advice and recommendations on WikiEducator's privacy policy. See:

http://tinyurl.com/26b5sxc

Please take a look and  cast your votes.

Cheers
Wayne

--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,

Leigh Blackall
+61(0)404561009
skype - leigh_blackall
leighb...@gmail.com
http://leighblackall.blogspot.com

[...]

Leigh Blackall

May 8, 2010, 5:40:33 PM5/8/10
to wikieducator-co...@googlegroups.com

I have a few hundred videos on archive that were sent through blip.tv perhaps if you contacted blip and archive and told them you are looking for a partner..

Wayne Mackintosh

May 8, 2010, 6:11:50 PM5/8/10
to wikieducator-co...@googlegroups.com
Leigh,

That's a good suggestion and consider working this into Straw Dog 3.

It would be good to keep these discussions in the wiki -- so that all the points, ideas and suggestions are recorded in the same place.

Cheers
Wayne