Best wishes (somewhat belated) for 2011!
I'm planning to convene the next Council meeting for May 2011 (exact dates to be confirmed.). Sooner would be better, however the preparatory work required for the next meeting (see below) combined with two large community initiatives early in the year (the OER University planning meeting and Open content for Educators inaugural workshop) do not afford the time to schedule a meeting before May 2011.
Preparatory work for next meeting
In preparation for the meeting:
- We need to collaborate on a the development of a "code of conduct". Kim has taken initiative to get the ball rolling. Thanks Kim. We encourage you to sign up as participants of this workgroup, see: http://wikieducator.org/Workgroup:Code_of_Conduct
- We need to develop guidelines for fair use and fair dealing in WikiEducator -- We've made good progress on the building blocks that are necessary for implementation of the guidelines.
- The new tutorials on Why open matters in Education, Copyright, and Creative Commons Licensing (with acknowledgement to funding support from the UNESCO Office for Pacific States), will be a valuable community resource in supporting the guidelines for fair usage. fair dealing.
- On the technology front, Jim has implemented solutions for free cultural works licensing alternatives on WIkiEducator pages which do not use the default CC-BY-SA license. See Public Domain and the Copyright page.
- We need to establish a workgroup to determine procedures for nominating nominated members of Council. This is both an important but complex task given the intent of the Open Community Governance Policy to plan for continuity::
- "The terms of the Council members shall be staggered, so that the terms
of fewer than one-half of the Council expire in each year. With the
exception of the 2nd community election where the Council will have
discretionary authority to achieve continuity by determining the optimal
number of electoral positions based on the composition and performance
of the Council members and strategic progress of the WikiEducator
- The terms of elected and nominated members are determined "by the dates of the annual Council meetings and until their successor
shall have been elected and qualified, or until their earlier
resignation, removal from office, or death."
- The effective date of the first constituted council is 22 September 2009, the adjournment of the 2nd meeting (the first full Council meeting.)
- The 2nd Community Council Elections should therefore be competed by 22 September 2011.
- The term of nominated members and the Officers of Council are determined by the dates of the meetings and these members hold their positions until their successors have been elected by Council, which will take place at the next meeting,
- To facilitate planning and development of the procedures for nominating members, I request by positive return email if any nominated members are willing to consider a second term (if approved by Council.)
We have a few busy months ahead of us, but I sense that 2011 will be a quantum shift year for the mainstream adoption of OER around the world.
-- Wayne Mackintosh
Director OER Foundation
Director, International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Founder and elected Community Council Member, Wikieducator
Mobile +64 21 2436 380