Python problems (again) under Mint LMDE 4 Debbie

JensG

May 30, 2020, 4:26:41 AM5/30/20
to wikidpad-devel
Hi,

I had wikidpad running quite successfully under Mint LMDE 3 Cindy for a while and found wikidpad to be a great tool.

Few days ago I ugraded my system to Mint LMDE 4 Debbie and can't use wikidpad since. From what I have found out so far it seems that wikidpad absoluetly wants wxgtk2.8, which is no longer available and has been replaced by wxgtk3.0 in the packet sources. Unfortunately, wikidpad does not run in that combination.

Is there a way that allows a normal user of the software to get a running wikidpad again, without needing additional Python knowledge or the need to study the source codes and trying to fix it myself?

I think wikidpad is a great tool and I would really love to use it, It also runs great under Windows, never had problems there. I had it almost instantly running under LMDE 3. But under LMDE 4, as it is, I am out of my wisdom and I spent already a couple of hours on that issue without much success.

Current situation:
  • I have Py2 and Py3 installed,
  • for Py2 I have wxgtk3.0 available
  • for Py3 wx seems not installed at all

$ ./wikidpad
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning: g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion 'g_type_from_name (name) == 0' failed
  from gtk import _gtk
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning: g_type_set_qdata: assertion 'node != NULL' failed
  from gtk import _gtk
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning: cannot register existing type 'GtkWidget'
  from gtk import _gtk
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed
  from gtk import _gtk
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning: cannot register existing type 'GtkBuildable'
  from gtk import _gtk
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning: g_type_interface_add_prerequisite: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INTERFACE (interface_type)' failed
  from gtk import _gtk
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed
  from gtk import _gtk
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:40: Warning: g_type_register_static: assertion 'parent_type > 0' failed
  from gtk import _gtk

 *

Christian Ziemski

May 31, 2020, 3:28:33 AM5/31/20
to wikidpa...@googlegroups.com
On 30.05.20 at 10:26 JensG wrote:

> I had wikidpad running quite successfully under Mint LMDE 3 Cindy for
> a while and found wikidpad to be a great tool.
>
> Few days ago I ugraded my system to Mint LMDE 4 Debbie and can't use
> wikidpad since. From what I have found out so far it seems that
> wikidpad absoluetly wants wxgtk2.8, which is no longer available and
> has been replaced by wxgtk3.0 in the packet sources. Unfortunately,
> wikidpad does not run in that combination.

I just tried it with an almost fresh install of Linux Mint Xfce (not LMDE).
The only package needed to be additionally installed was python-wxgtk3.0.

Wikidpad is running. Only the already known refreshing problem is
immediately visible. But this can be made "gone" for now by making the
"Tree view" visible (Ctrl-T).

On my main system (Fedora) WikidPad is running with wxgtk-3.04 too.

So wxgtk-3.0 doesn't seem to be the stopper here.

I'm using Wikidpad 2.3rc02. What's yours?

Christian

JensG

May 31, 2020, 6:50:47 AM5/31/20
to wikidpad-devel
I'm using Wikidpad 2.3rc02. What's yours?

I had the (stable) 2.2 running. Now I tried the release candidate 2.3rc02 and I can confirm that the problem is gone with that version. Yippie! Thank you!

Besides solving the actual issue, I'd still be interested in knowing what that error message is trying to tell me. Googling gives a bunch of results, but nobody really explains it.

Christian Ziemski

May 31, 2020, 12:37:25 PM5/31/20
On 31.05.20 at 12:50 JensG wrote:

> I had the (stable) 2.2 running. Now I tried the release candidate
> 2.3rc02 and I can confirm that the problem is gone with that
> version. *Yippie!* Thank you!

You are welcome.

For WikidPad 2.2 your might want to have a look here:

"WikidPad 2.2 doesn't start on some newer Linux systems - with fix"
https://github.com/WikidPad/WikidPad/issues/61

> Besides solving the actual issue, I'd still be interested in knowing
> what that error message is trying to tell me. Googling gives a bunch
> of results, but nobody really explains it.

Don't know either.

I'm not a GTK/Wx developer.
That makes it really hard to find the reason for
https://github.com/WikidPad/WikidPad/issues/60
"Screen refresh/repainting problem"
WikidPad has on many Linux systems and on Mac OS.