Creating a page link without adding subpage to tree

DracoHandsome

Apr 3, 2016, 3:18:51 PM4/3/16
to wikidpad-devel
WikidPad has one "feature" that is incredibly annoying and pretty much ruins using it for me: Every link I add to a page forces a subpage to be added in the tree, quickly resulting in a ruined and overbloated document tree. There is no obvious method for manually telling it not to do this and my searches have turned up no useful information.

While WikidPad cites the automatic generation of a project tree as a benefit, I see nothing but downsides primarily for this reason. It is not possible to have both a concise "wiki" and an intuitive project tree without separating categories from content pages, which it seems WikidPad does not do.

Is there any way to add a link to a page that does not create a subpage in the tree? If not, that is quite frankly a colossal fuck-up and WikidPad will not be suitable for my purposes.

PatrickW

Apr 4, 2016, 12:23:56 PM4/4/16
to wikidpad-devel
DracoHandsome,
     The software is performing as designed - listing out every subpage in the tree makes it convenient to find, especially when making changes to a particularly large wiki.  This is in no way a "colossal fuck-up", it is merely doing something you'd rather it not do.

Developers,
      I don't know if there is a way to hide subpages on the tree, but I can see where there could be some use for it (I'd just hide the tree and use just links on the page for navigation), so if there is a way, I would also like to know as it would be a handy trick to do.  If there isn't, I'm still 100% satisfied with WikidPad and all the work you've put in to date.

Thank you.

DracoHandsome

Apr 4, 2016, 7:14:38 PM4/4/16
to wikidpad-devel
Of course this is an intended feature; it's one of WikidPad's biggest boasts.

That doesn't mean that the inability to explicitly suppress subpage generation is not a mistake. It's simply silly for every single mention of another page to automatically force a subpage link whether the author wants it or not; this creates an unusable mess of a wiki tree for any even remotely complex or indepth database (i.e. "especially when making changes to a particularly large wiki".)

As it stands, there's no feasible method to create linked lists within WikidPad, because the author has three options:

1. Briefly explain each of the items listed on the page with all relevant terms as links, thus causing them to automatically appear as subpages (alongside the desired list items) and screw up the tree
2. Briefly explain each of the items listed on the page without relevant items as links, which is poor form
2. Don't bother explaining any of the items listed on the page at all, which is grossly poor form

9/10 times this auto-generation is the exact opposite of convenient. WikidPad should simply allow users to mark a link such that it does not create a subpage. If not marked, then there is no change, ergo all existing wikis are completely unaltered. There's absolutely no reason not to have this feature.

RHardement

Oct 24, 2016, 3:08:05 PM10/24/16
to wikidpad-devel
I would love to see this added as a feature to Wikidpad, even make it a pay version and I'll buy it.

The tree is obviously a hierarchical structure, we don't have an effective 2 dimensional way to display the content in Wikidpad. So why not embrace both methods?

2 different link types, or a way to add/remove links from the tree. This allows you to have an organized traditional hierarchical structure for the tree while still allowing you to go crazy linking documents to your heart's content.

Bjorn

Oct 25, 2016, 8:18:30 AM10/25/16
to wikidpad-devel
Hi,
Out of curiosity, why do you want the tree in the first place?
I have 4300 pages in my wiki (first pages from 2006-2007).
I haven't used tree view for years, as this many pages will be impossible to visualize.

Initially, I had this problem as well as I had tried outliners such as Treepad (which I payed $60 for only to have it crash in the first week I used it, deleting all my notes).

I think that it is an advantage not to have this functionality, as you do not have to maintain meta data for the tree.

cheers,
Bjorn

RHardement

Oct 26, 2016, 7:52:04 PM10/26/16
to wikidpad-devel
It's never an advantage to not have an optional feature.

I can already link between docs and search docs, it would be nice to still have a hierarchical tree as well.

I'm using this for writing fiction, as a worldbuilding and plotting tool. I'm jumping around and filling in details on docs from my notes, the notes may have relations to other ideas or could be random ideas I thought up while on the go. I can't remember the names of every page (on top of this i am constantly renaming things as things develop) and searching can be tedious.

Adding this feature really doesn't affect you if you don't want to use it. But for those of us that do want the feature, it would be a godsend.

Xunius Xu

Sep 13, 2017, 2:18:21 AM9/13/17
to wikidpad-devel
I agree. This "feature" adds confusion and I don't see any obvious conenience provided by this. I am looking for an alternative to zim-wiki, but this "feature" kind of scared me away. I won't be able to migrate my zim contents over with such organization manner.

Please developer consider doing something.

Another suggestion would be: the documentation is very detailed but also at the same time too lengthy. Maybe create a more condensed version so a new user could quickly make their decision whether to dive into it?

在 2016年4月4日星期一 UTC+8上午3:18:51,DracoHandsome写道: