Testing the Wikidot API

1 view

Piotr Gabryjeluk

Mar 11, 2009, 9:37:49 AM3/11/09
to wik...@googlegroups.com
Hello to all

If you're interested in testing the Wikidot API, feel free to visit the
following URL:

http://www.wikidot.com/doc:api

We'll be happy to let you test what we've done. Hovewer, the API is now
read-only (so you cannot break anything). In future API will be
slightly modified in the following ways:

* read-write access
* only admins or moderators of sites can use API
* API only for PRO accounts (not sure of this)
* limits on API calls (like 100 calls/day per user)
* improved number and quality of methods

Anyway, we look forward to feedback from you!

Cheers
--
Piotr Gabryjeluk
Wikidot.com developer

Piotr Gabryjeluk

Mar 18, 2009, 9:40:16 AM3/18/09
to wik...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

I would like to inform, that we've published the first list of public
API methods, it is available at http://www.wikidot.com/doc:api-methods

This should solve the lack of documentation problem (at least
partially).

Then, I would like to ask you a few questions about the API.

First (for those who have tested it): do you like it?
Second: what would you like to use it for?
Third: which more methods would you like us to implement first?

We divided methods into two groups:

1. Read-only methods, which basically is getting sites (done),
categories (done), pages (done), members, files (done), comments, forum
threads and posts.

2. Write methods, which is saving pages, adding files, posting comments
and forum posts and creating new threads.

Which of those (that are not yet implemented) would you prefer to be
the first to use?

I'm waiting for your answers!

Cheers,
Piotr

Dnia 2009-03-11, o godz. 14:37:49

Ed Johnson

Mar 18, 2009, 9:16:09 PM3/18/09
to temporary wikidot dev-list
Q: Do I like it?
A: Yes! I have a lot to learn about Python scripting, but this looks
very promising. Thank you for the new documentation - it really
helped.

Q: What would you like to use it for?
A: Primarily to create utilities that I can use to read AND WRITE data
to my sites. Until you guys get a better backup in place, I can see
uses for this as a way to make a more complete backup (especially
forums). Once you get some write functions working, I suspect you'll
see a fair number of user-contributed scripts for many functions.

Q: Which more methods would you like us to implement first?
A: Finish the read-only methods and then:
1. Adding files
2. Adding files
3. Adding files (this will be HUGE for those of us who need to
upload a lot of files at once).
4. Saving pages
5. Posting comments.

-Ed