New Learning4Content Workshop coming up

Patricia Schlicht

Sep 7, 2009, 9:05:47 PM9/7/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, wik...@googlegroups.com, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikied...@googlegroups.com, wikica...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

Please help and spread the word to your interested friends and colleagues for a new Learning4Content workshop, which is scheduled to take place from September 21, to October 2, 2009. Please register here: http://www.wikieducator.org/Learning4Content/Registration

Apologies for cross-posting.

Warm wishes,

Patricia

Patricia Schlicht

COMMONWEALTH OF LEARNING

COL is an intergovernmental organisation created by Commonwealth Heads of Government to encourage the development and sharing of open learning and distance education knowledge, resources and technologies.  Learning for development.

Suite 1200 - 1055 West Hastings Street, Vancouver BC  V6E 2E9  Canada
PH: +1.604.775.8227 | FAX: +1.604.775.8210 | WEB: www.col.org | E-MAIL: psch...@col.org

The 'Green' reminder: P Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to. Thank you.

shawn rhaburn

Nov 14, 2009, 4:57:45 PM11/14/09
to wikica...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ms. Patricia,

Miss Feliciana Torres and I have about 50+ primary and secondary education teachers who are interested in Wiki and we would like to start the session this coming Wednesday. Can you post a table in Wikieducator for a workshop session on the following dates in Belize of which the facilitators will be Feliciana Torres and myself. The dates are as follows: 18th and 23rd November, 2009. We will input the students names as soon as the table is up. This group of teachers represents the entire country of Belize. We have teachers from The capital City Belmopan, Cayo District, Orange Walk, Belize City, Corozal District and Stann Creek District. We want these teachers to be able to take something back to their school. We will ask them to do their sand box and as well post information about their schools.

Regards,

Shawn C. Henry, Rhaburn M.Ed.
Doctoral Candidate
NOVA Southeastern University,
Florida

Wilma Wright

Nov 14, 2009, 7:21:10 PM11/14/09
to wikica...@googlegroups.com
See you are making waves- the entire country

Keep this email and others for your file as proof of your service.

Wilma

Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:57:45 -0800
From: srha...@yahoo.com
Subject: [WikiCaribbean] Re: New Learning4Content Workshop coming up
To: wikica...@googlegroups.com

Wayne Mackintosh

Nov 14, 2009, 8:17:54 PM11/14/09
to wikica...@googlegroups.com, WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, oe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shawn & Wilma,

What a nice surprise to see your post on the list! This is a great opportunity for Belize to establish a national OER portal.  After running your face-to-face workshops -- feel free to spread the news about our free workshops we offer every month (http://wikieducator.org/L4C )

I've taken the liberty of setting up a national portal page for Belize. See:

http://www.wikieducator.org/OERBZ

(You'll find some information here on how to tweak and customise your page: http://tinyurl.com/yjltzd7 )

You can use this page as a hub for building and expanding OER among schools in Belize.

WE is expanding rapidly in the school sector.  Feel free to take a look at these national portals for ideas on how you might expand and build your national OER project:

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could connect schools in New Zealand, Uganda, Israel and Belize in collaborating on OER in support of their respective national curricula :-).

Great to see how your WikiAmbassador work continues!

Cheers
Wayne

2009/11/15 shawn rhaburn <srha...@yahoo.com>

--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,

Steve Foerster

Nov 14, 2009, 8:26:29 PM11/14/09
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikica...@googlegroups.com
Wayne wrote:

> What a nice surprise to see your post on the list! This is a
> great opportunity for Belize to establish a national OER
> portal. After running your face-to-face workshops -- feel
> free to spread the news about our free workshops we offer
> every month (http://wikieducator.org/L4C )

> I've taken the liberty of setting up a national portal page
> for Belize. See:

> http://www.wikieducator.org/OERBZ

A question is whether educators who work in relatively similar
educational systems throughout the West Indies would be better served by
one national portal or should have a sort of unified portal for the
Caricom countries. Any thoughts on this?

-=Steve=-

--
Stephen H. Foerster
http://hiresteve.com

Wayne Mackintosh

Nov 14, 2009, 8:33:03 PM11/14/09
to wikica...@googlegroups.com, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve

That's a good question and suggestion. Why not have both?

There is a humble start of a Caribbean page here -- http://wikieducator.org/WikiCaribbean. Granted this has a strong tertiary focus, but there is no reason why it shouldn't include a section for the school sector.

Gee -- you got to love the flexibility of the wiki model :-)

Cheers
Wayne

Steve Foerster

Nov 14, 2009, 10:35:19 PM11/14/09
Wayne wrote:

>> A question is whether educators who work in relatively
>> similar educational systems throughout the West Indies
>> would be better served by one national portal or should
>> have a sort of unified portal for the Caricom countries.
>> Any thoughts on this?

> That's a good question and suggestion. Why not have both?

You're right -- false dichotomy! I've linked the WikiCaribbean page to
the new Belize page.

> There is a humble start of a Caribbean page here --
> http://wikieducator.org/WikiCaribbean. Granted this has a
> strong tertiary focus, but there is no reason why it
> shouldn't include a section for the school sector.
> Gee -- you got to love the flexibility of the wiki
> model :-)

I sure do. And even though my thing happens to be the tertiary sector,
I think what we're doing is, if anything, even more important for the
school sector!

Patricia

Nov 15, 2009, 2:11:06 PM11/15/09
to WikiCaribbean
Dear Shawn and Feliciana,

WikiEducator is proud to have you and Feliciana among such dedicated
advocates for WikiEducator in our community. It seems to me that you
are well on your way of building up a Belize WikiEducator chapter and
we commend you for this initiative as you are joining the rows of
Bangladesh, Zambia, Samoa and India among the many other growing local
communities.

Feel free to call on us for help. We will help where we can.
Let's make the future happen as we say in the Wiki. I have added a few
interesting links to your workshop page you could use to demonstrate
the Freedom Movement and how this relates to an Open Education
platform such as WikiEducator.

Warm wishes,
Patricia