Re: WIGIS: Food Industry Mapping Meeting

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Betsy Breyer

unread,
Apr 28, 2011, 5:41:20 PM4/28/11
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Beth and WIGIS,
Wanted to let you know that we're forming a group of GIS students at PSU to work on aspects of the OFB project. We're meeting next Monday at 6:30 at the Green Dragon to get everyone up to speed and to brainstorm about how we might join forces and utilize existing resources at PSU. It seems like Project 2, the food industry map, could be a good project for us. There's lots of work to do in terms of updating and merging various datasets.

Anyone else interested in working on food industry mapping for OFB welcome to join us!

Cheers,
Betsy Breyer

WIGIS of PSU/Food Industry Mapping Meeting
Monday, May 2 @ 6:30pm
Green Dragon
928 SE 9th Ave Portland, OR 97214





On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Beth <blro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi WIGIS,

The Food Bank is excited about our response and will be meeting next
week to discuss the questions we have and to develop a strategy for
moving forward. Tanya, thank you for the offer to help out with
transferring back and forth from KML to shapefile. That would be a
great help. Below is what I sent to the Food Bank, as well as their
reply.

Sincerely,

Beth Unger
--------------------------------------------
Hi Starr,

A group met last Saturday to discuss the GIS projects and they all
sound feasible for us. We'll definitely focus on getting the most
important one- the poverty indicators- tackled.

We have a lot of questions for you, some are logistical, while others
are an attempt to get down to specifics. I'm not sure of the best way
to tackle all of them. A phone conversation? A visit to your office? A
reply email? Whatever is easiest for you.

I've included the meeting notes I sent to WIGIS as well as a task
list. Please let me know if you have any trouble opening the documents
and let me know what you think of the progress so far. You'll find all
of the questions for the food bank in these notes and on the
spreadsheet.

One of the women at the meeting Saturday interned for the Food Bank.
Her name is Betsy Breyer. She was your Google Earth intern, I believe.
Her insight was helpful. It also sounds like some of this data could
help other organizations. Multnomah County's Office of Sustainability
is working on the Multnomah Food Action Plan, for example. They may
have some data to contribute and may also want to piggy back off of
what we put together. PCC is also working on collecting data in N and
NE Portland that include information about access to healthy food.
Some of their data may be useful to you. I made the assumption that
everything you've requested is public and can be shared with other
organizations. This is the impression I got, as you specified that you
wanted to be able to show maps to the community, but  if I've
misunderstood at all, and if you need any of the info to stay private,
please let me know.

Some questions that may not be in the notes:

1.We would like to complete this project by September, in time for GIS
Day in November. Do you have a deadline or preferred time that you'd
like these projects complete?
2. You indicated wanting information about affordable housing and
senior programs- do you have specific housing programs in mind?
Federal? State? Private? All? For the senior programs- which ones,
specifically? Where do you get some of this data now, if at all?
3.You indicated wanting distribution center locations- Do you have a
list of distributors? If not, what distributors are you interested in
specifically?
affordable housing- what kind? Federal? private?
4. Suggestions on where to get food manufacturer information?
5. Suggestions on where to get food stamp usage in particular areas
information? Where does OFB get this data?


The general notes from the meeting are posted in a Google doc here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1clUvEtDBLs7whkTshlGF1TxmwL5rjcCbEkBanU-_GSc/edit?hl=en&authkey=CJ-hzHw

 Details about individual projects are posted in the Google
spreadsheet here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlPyKdoT9GX-dHJnMG1SUzAwUG9KbFJUZzNtdVpZNHc&hl=en&authkey=CMuR7M0I


Sincerely,

Beth Unger
-----------------------------------------------
Thanks for getting back to me, Beth. This is very exciting for us! Our
internal group is going to meet next week to discuss how best to
answer your questions. I’ll get back to you early next week.



Thanks again!

Starr



Starr Yurkewycz

Branches Manager, Oregon Food Bank

...because no one should be hungry

On Apr 21, 8:39 pm, TC Haddad <tchad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Beth,
>
> I missed the meeting since I was out of town, but looked at the google doc
> and there was one topic that I was working on anyhow at work (kml to shape
> and back workflows). So I put my name down to help on that topic if help is
> needed.
>
> Only thing I don't know is timeline - I'm going to be out of town for a
> week, so might not be that helpful if a response is needed quickly. But if
> that timing is ok, I will be back at the end of the month and can help
> directly at that point if you still need it,
>
> best,
>
> Tanya
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Beth <blrobi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi WIGIS and others,
>
> > Thanks to those who were able to make it this past Saturday. It was a
> > small, but focused group- just the right size to break down this
> > project into its detailed parts. Great collaboration, conversation and
> > a cute baby present as well! Thanks to Christina Friedle for offering
> > her home for the meeting. For the next meeting, we will try to use an
> > online polling tool to pick a date that works best for the most
> > people.
>
> > After assessing the requirements for each of the five projects
> > requested by the Oregon Food Bank, we determined that all five
> > projects seemed feasible, given enough participation. 16 people have
> > shown interest in working on this project  in some capacity, so far.
>
> > Anyone can edit the Google documents in this email, so please feel
> > free to add yourself to a project or task. The spreadsheet is also
> > tabbed by project with a list of tasks and a sign up column on each
> > page. People can volunteer to do a task by writing their name and
> > email address in the adjacent columns.
>
> > Once we hear back from the food bank, I would like to move this
> > project over to WIGGIO, an online project management software program
> > that helps groups to collaborate.  It’s very user friendly and will
> > ensure that information doesn’t get lost- thanks Drew, from the
> > organization Depave, for the idea.
>
> > We would like to complete this project by September, in time for GIS
> > Day in November.
>
> > The general notes from the meeting are posted in a Google doc here:
>
> >https://docs.google.com/document/d/1clUvEtDBLs7whkTshlGF1TxmwL5rjcCbE...
>
> > Details about individual projects are posted in the Google spreadsheet
> > here:
>
> >https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlPyKdoT9GX-dHJnMG1SUzAwUG9K...
>
> > Please see the spreadsheet to sign up for tasks that you are
> > interested in doing or helping out with.
>
> > If we can’t do all of the projects, we’d at least like to get the
> > first completed. It is the most complicated, but also the most
> > important project of the five for the food bank.
>
> > I will email the food bank with these meeting notes and questions.
> > When I get a response, the information will be posted on the WIGIS
> > Google Group, ORURISA’s site and emailed to anyone who has emailed me
> > expressing interest in this project. I invite anyone else interested
> > to participate by signing up for tasks.
>
> > Please let me know if you have any trouble opening the documents!
>
> > Sincerely,
>
> > Beth Unger
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "WIGIS" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to wi...@googlegroups.com.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > wigis+un...@googlegroups.com.
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/wigis?hl=en.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WIGIS" group.
To post to this group, send email to wi...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to wigis+un...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/wigis?hl=en.


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages