Re: WIGIS: Food Industry Mapping Meeting

Betsy Breyer

Apr 28, 2011, 5:41:20 PM4/28/11
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Beth and WIGIS,
Wanted to let you know that we're forming a group of GIS students at PSU to work on aspects of the OFB project. We're meeting next Monday at 6:30 at the Green Dragon to get everyone up to speed and to brainstorm about how we might join forces and utilize existing resources at PSU. It seems like Project 2, the food industry map, could be a good project for us. There's lots of work to do in terms of updating and merging various datasets.

Anyone else interested in working on food industry mapping for OFB welcome to join us!

Cheers,
Betsy Breyer

WIGIS of PSU/Food Industry Mapping Meeting
Monday, May 2 @ 6:30pm
Green Dragon
928 SE 9th Ave Portland, OR 97214

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Beth <blro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi WIGIS,

The Food Bank is excited about our response and will be meeting next
week to discuss the questions we have and to develop a strategy for
moving forward. Tanya, thank you for the offer to help out with
transferring back and forth from KML to shapefile. That would be a
great help. Below is what I sent to the Food Bank, as well as their
reply.

Sincerely,

Beth Unger
Hi Starr,

A group met last Saturday to discuss the GIS projects and they all
sound feasible for us. We'll definitely focus on getting the most
important one- the poverty indicators- tackled.

We have a lot of questions for you, some are logistical, while others
are an attempt to get down to specifics. I'm not sure of the best way
to tackle all of them. A phone conversation? A visit to your office? A
reply email? Whatever is easiest for you.

I've included the meeting notes I sent to WIGIS as well as a task
list. Please let me know if you have any trouble opening the documents
and let me know what you think of the progress so far. You'll find all
of the questions for the food bank in these notes and on the
spreadsheet.

One of the women at the meeting Saturday interned for the Food Bank.
Her name is Betsy Breyer. She was your Google Earth intern, I believe.
Her insight was helpful. It also sounds like some of this data could
help other organizations. Multnomah County's Office of Sustainability
is working on the Multnomah Food Action Plan, for example. They may
have some data to contribute and may also want to piggy back off of
what we put together. PCC is also working on collecting data in N and
NE Portland that include information about access to healthy food.
Some of their data may be useful to you. I made the assumption that
everything you've requested is public and can be shared with other
organizations. This is the impression I got, as you specified that you
wanted to be able to show maps to the community, but  if I've
misunderstood at all, and if you need any of the info to stay private,
please let me know.

Some questions that may not be in the notes:

1.We would like to complete this project by September, in time for GIS
Day in November. Do you have a deadline or preferred time that you'd
like these projects complete?
2. You indicated wanting information about affordable housing and
senior programs- do you have specific housing programs in mind?
Federal? State? Private? All? For the senior programs- which ones,
specifically? Where do you get some of this data now, if at all?
3.You indicated wanting distribution center locations- Do you have a
list of distributors? If not, what distributors are you interested in
specifically?
affordable housing- what kind? Federal? private?
4. Suggestions on where to get food manufacturer information?
5. Suggestions on where to get food stamp usage in particular areas
information? Where does OFB get this data?

The general notes from the meeting are posted in a Google doc here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1clUvEtDBLs7whkTshlGF1TxmwL5rjcCbEkBanU-_GSc/edit?hl=en&authkey=CJ-hzHw

 Details about individual projects are posted in the Google
spreadsheet here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlPyKdoT9GX-dHJnMG1SUzAwUG9KbFJUZzNtdVpZNHc&hl=en&authkey=CMuR7M0I

Sincerely,

Beth Unger
Thanks for getting back to me, Beth. This is very exciting for us! Our
internal group is going to meet next week to discuss how best to
answer your questions. I’ll get back to you early next week.

Thanks again!

Starr

Starr Yurkewycz

Branches Manager, Oregon Food Bank