Fw: 2011 Washington GIS Conference News

Amanda Taub

May 3, 2011, 3:24:01 PM5/3/11
to CUGOS, LoneGIS, WIGIS
*I apologize if you receive this announcement multiple times.*

Amanda Taub, GISP

The Final Countdown - Less than 1 week until the Pacific Northwest's premier GIS event! The full conference program for next week’s 2011 Washington GIS Conference is now available. Take time this week to plan your schedule for the conference. Haven’t registered yet? Save time and money by registering online this week before coming to the conference. Prices go up May 9 with on-site registration.

Paper Sessions:

We’re looking for a couple of volunteers to help moderate the following paper sessions (moderator arrives at a session 20 minutes early to coordinate speakers and make sure the equipment is working).  We would like confident speakers who introduce each presenter, set a professional and relaxed tone for the session, and keep the session running on time. It’s a fun way to help support the conference and your colleagues! Please contact Donna Wendt and  Dana Trethewy at abst...@waurisa.org for more information or to volunteer to moderate the following sessions:

FME and Python - 3pm Tuesday, our speaker from the City of Vancouver, Canada, with 2 presentations on FME:  FME for Spatial Processing (30 minutes) and Python Productivity with FME (60 minutes)

Environmental Growth & Modeling - 8:30am Wednesday; Modeling Future Growth:  An Introduction to the Envision Skagit 2060 Project (45 minutes); Monitoring Seattle, Olympia and Tacoma Forest Canopies Using Object-Based Image Analysis (30 minutes).

GIS Solutions, 10:30am Wednesday - GeoCollaboration and Mobile GIS Solutions (30 minutes); openbasemap.org -- A Project of your Local Open Source GIS Group – CUGOS (30 minutes); Development Considerations for ArcGIS Desktop Add-Ins (30 minutes).

Map Contest:

New this year, we’ve added “Best Online Interactive Map” as a category for the map contest. We received one entry for category this year, from the City of Mercer Island. Please take a moment to check out their mapping application pubmaps.mercergov.org before heading to the conference next week. One laptop will be set up at the conference registration desk as well for viewing this application. In addition to evaluating this online submission, take time to also view the many paper map submissions displayed in the foyer at the conference and vote for your favorites in all of the map contest categories. Winners will be recognized during the closing session.

Social Activities:

Just added for the Tuesday evening social at the Celtic Bayou Irish Pub and Cajun Café : acoustic bluegrass and folk music from the Rain City Sodbusters, a group of accomplished young musicians (and one GIS analyst). Settle in with your favorite beverage, some tasty food, and good friends as you listen to this talented group.

Hope to see YOU next week at the conference!

The 2011 Washington GIS Conference Planning Committee

Questions? Comments? Contact us: 2011WAGIS...@waurisa.org

Conference website: http://www.waurisa.org/conferences/2011_Conference_Index.html