Hood River 4H Group is Looking for a Volunteer GIS Instructor.

Margo Blosser

May 25, 2011, 12:15:57 PM5/25/11
to WIGIS
Hood River 4H Group is Looking for a Volunteer GIS Instructor. A
great group to work with and a beautiful location in the scenic Hood
River Valley! Please contact Jesus Acosta 4H Program Coordinator at
Jesus....@oregonstate.edu

Best Regards,
Margo Blosser
Gorge GIS
www.gorgegis.com

Project Description:
We are trying to Get Started with GIS and GPS by doing some
activities from ESRI. It is for 4-H clubs not already familiar with
GPS or GIS technologies that want to begin introducing spatial
literacy to youth at a basic level. The National 4-H mission is to
empower youth to reach their full potential by working and learning in
partnership with caring adults, and fostering opportunities for
community engagement and service projects.

The goals for Hood River county 4H Group is to:

1. GIS Software - Using Arc Explorer—Java Edition for Education
to learn from the Thinking Spatially Using GIS book, or exploring
spaces going places; geospatial geographic to learn among other
resources that will help youth learn about GIS.

2. Community Project - The goal of this project is to illustrate
"the nature of your community" through at least 3 maps and text. The
content of the presentations will vary, according to what each group
deems to be the important elements defining the nature of "the
community." www.esri.com/communityatlas. The 4-H Map Gallery site,
www.arcgis.com.

3. 4-H Youth Favorite Places—a national project that teaches 4-H
youth about GIS and GPS while providing a community service.
www.youthfavoriteplaces.org.

4. GIS Day - Take part in GIS Day by participating in or hosting
an informational event for local youth, community leaders, and the
public. www.gisday.com.

5. Presentation - Make at least one presentation to other 4-H
clubs, youth, and leaders or other community organizations of what
they have been learning, this could be off the community project.

Any other course materials, aids, books and anything else that will be
useful can be used.

We do have several laptops on which ArcGis 10 Desktop has been
installed, and Garmin handheld GPS units from which to use.

Equipment, supplies and materials are good, all that is needed is some
that know about the topic to help teach the youth. Please let me know,
if you are interested in becoming a volunteer leader.

Thanks

Jesus Acosta-Gonzalez, 4-H Program Assistant

Latino Outreach & LEGO Robotics

Oregon State University Extension Service

Hood River County

2990 Experiment Station Drive, Hood River, OR 97031

Tel.: 541-386-3343, Fax: 541-386-3684, Cell: 541-490-5536

jesus....@oregonstate.edu

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/hoodriver/index.php

Margo Blosser

May 25, 2011, 1:26:35 PM5/25/11
to WIGIS
Hey folks...it looks like the contact info for Jesus is not correct.
He can be contacted at Jesus....@oregonstate.edu. Phone numbers are
at the bottom of the email