Re: [WIEF FORUM] Re: [asa-usa] ASA-USA MEDICAL MISSION

ama...@comcast.net

Jun 3, 2007, 3:12:16 PM6/3/07
to wi...@googlegroups.com, IGBO EVENTS
"It is proverbial in Iboland that rather than feed the hungry man with fish most of the time, it is imperative of teach him the methodology of fishing. ............

My suggestion therefore, is that we should decide to pick one medical sub-specialty ranging from orthopedics to carthiothoracic and sponsor one or two doctors yearly to come and learn new procedures. This will be possible if we use our connection to collaborate with any medical school to extend their contribution to us by helping to train some of out medical professionals.

If this suggestion comes to fruition, I guess Anambra state with time will be a center of excellence in vital sub-specialty in medicine." - Dr. Anthony Okeke

Dr. Okeke,

God Bless you because I thought I am getting crazy trying to understand the idea of medical mission any place in Igbo land.  When the idea first came up under Jimmy Asiegbu, I objected, not because I do not care or wish to donate to a program that would benefit folks back home, but the fact that medical problems back home cannot be helped with medical mission.  My point then was the obvious deficiencies, especially those bordering incomplete care associated with medical mission.  How can one effectively treat hypertention with once a year medical mission.  What would be the plan of care for this treatment, especially when a sick patient is given few pills of medication and asked to wait another year till we come back again.  I am very suprised that what I thought was a political move few years back is continued today.

To complicate matter, the amount of money involved with the mission, at about $50,000.00 or more, it is best described as hopeless waste.  A planed spending of $50,000.00 at Onitsha General Hospital or Iyi-Enu Hospital in the way of upgrade either in personnel training like you rightly suggested will go a long way sustaining good health care for our people for many years.  Don't get me wrong, I still reserve my credit to whoever thought about the mission, but the idea need to be modified for better result.  I wish not send my readers to sleep with long epistle, and although it doesn't have to be my way, I am not at ease donating to a project that would end up a waste.

Oliver Obi

From: "Okenwa R. Nwosu, M.D." <okenw...@covad.net>
"It is proverbial in Iboland that rather than feed the hungry man with fish most of the time, it is imperative of teach him the methodology of fishing. ............

My suggestion therefore, is that we should decide to pick one medical sub-specialty ranging from orthopedics to carthiothoracic and sponsor one or two doctors yearly to come and learn new procedures. This will be possible if we use our connection to collaborate with any medical school to extend their contribution to us by helping to train some of out medical professionals.

If this suggestion comes to fruition, I guess Anambra state with time will be a center of excellence in vital sub-specialty in medicine." - Dr. Anthony Okeke

Anthony,

I find your contribution excerpted above quite noteworthy and ultimately instructive for whoever is desirous of making substantive and sustainable contribution toward addressing the core problem facing the health care delivery system at home. Medical missions, as presently organized by some Diaspora Igbo groups, are aimed more at crisis management than on making a measurable contribution to assist in uplifting the health care delivery system for our home folks. Using the fish paradigm to which you alluded, the home folks are teased, once every 12 months, with few residual fish crumbs that emanate from a foreign health care delivery system that they can never have. Of course, these teasers are so ephemeral in nature that even those lucky enough to get a muzzle of this heavenly manna end up getting hungrier soon afterwards. As the legendary Reggae superstar, Robert Nester Marley, sang in one of his memorable songs, "The rain a fall but the turf is tough ....". Paraphrased, he meant that the rainfall was barely enough to wet the top cover while the many layers underneath are still bone dry.

It is proper to ask who really gains in these annual exercises; is it the benefactor or the beneficiary? Here are facts of this matter. The vast majority of the health-care personnel who lead these missions of mercy to Alaigbo were reared and educated at home, at least, at early stages. Some actually obtained their advanced degrees in Nigeria before leaving for greener pastures overseas. A good number left to further their education and training with a solid foundation that has already been laid at home with our collective scarce resources. The expectation is always that, upon completion of advanced training, the oversea-trained experts would return home to help in improving the quality of life for the people. In the past decades, this expectation has become more of wishful thinking and a mirage, which though clearly visible from afar, is always beyond reach. There is no shortage of reasons and alibis why the most valuable finished products of Alaigbo and rest of Nigeria are for export only and not meant for domestic consumption. The resources that belong to our people have been utilized in the upbringing and training of skilled medical professionals who end up being too expensive and unaffordable for the very people who invested in their early development. Underdevelopment of our people is compounded by the brain drain phenomenon, particularly in health-care field. Mortality statistics, in all age grades in Alaigbo, are amongst the worst in the world. If these medical missions are intended to make a difference in mitigating the impact of brain drain on our people's wellbeing, then we ought to consider more profound and conscientious approach for intervention rather than to continue with the feel-good annual trips to sprinkle raindrops that barely soak the top dust cover of our parched home turf.

What I hear you say is that crisis-management approach is hardly the most cost-effective means of impacting the health care delivery for impoverished grassroots population in Alaigbo. It may offer short-term visibility and publicity for the benefactors and little else. It hardly quenches the thirst or the hunger for proper health care needs of the poor at home which is mostly at the primary level. The ailments and diseases that torment and kill our poor kith and kin at home can be reduced by more than half if only we can offer them clean water to drink, clean environment that don't breed pestilence, prenatal care for pregnant mothers and childhood immunization. None of these needs can be addressed by these annual feel-good trips from overseas. Making these medical missions can assist in pacifying our consciences but it is not a cost effective means of showing our people at home that we really care.

Okenwa.

From: OOK...@aol.com

In as much as they are all brilliant ideas that shows the āEURO~loveāEURO(tm) for the people. If you ask me, it is more or less a misplaced priority. I think the fund raised should be better used in empowering and educating the people of their; RIGHTS TO DEMAND ACCOUNTABILITY from those that leads or want to lead them 'even those that want to lead them at a do or die cost'....Ifeanyi

Nwanna John,

Your contribution in this debate is good.  But as we speak there is confusion and anxiety in Anambara state over this forceful takeover of government of the people by criminals sponsored by Nigerian government.  And so for ASA USA to jump in, in the middle of this confusion is not wise.  How do we know Emanuel ( certificate forger) Uba and his gang of heisters, will not sabotage this effort in Anambara state?  There are so many things ASA USA can do for our poor people back home, while they wait this year out, and I culled that except above to buttress what I mean.  I suggest protagonists within ASA USA take a snap shot of opinion of our people on this issue to determine which way to go.  Because madu nabo nwelu anya ino.
Ogbuefi Ezenwanmadu.

In a message dated 6/2/2007 12:04:07 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jnwofia@yahoo.com writes:

Ogbuefi Ezenwamadu,

I see where you are coing from. However, we have
fought the fight to this point. Andy Uba has been
sworn in. There are law suits pending. Just as we did
with Ngige and PDP after their rigging we must move
on. We must and should not politicise humanitarian
missions. The majority of the recipients of this
medical mission do not give a rat's ass who the
governor is. But they do care about the help they
receive from these missions. If we feel they have been
wronged by being forced a government, let's not punish
them twice by denying them care. We should support the
medical mission.

John Nwofia

--- OOK...@aol.com wrote:

> Nwachukwu Anakwenze,
>
> Here is one good reason why this medical mission
> must be postponed until
> thief, Emanuel Uba is gone. The certificate forger
> and fraud king pin is
> looking for someone to give legitimacy to his
> criminal activities in Anambara
> state. And you do not want to hand that to him on
> the platter. Plus, Anambara
> state is very unsafe now for anybody from US,
> because Emanuel Uba had flooded
> the state with armed robbers in Nigerian police and
> army uniform. It is true
> that we are trying to save our people but our people
> must stand up for their
> right for good government. There was no election
> in Anambara state, yet they
> allowed a known fraudster to occupy the seat of
> their government in Awka,
> forcefully. This behavior of Igbo on the ground in
> Anambara state is shameful
> at best. How could so few criminals, led by
> Emanuel Uba, overpower so many
> citizens? It has never happened anywhere in the
> world. ASA USA must not send
> the wrong messages to Igbo in Anambara state that
> it is okay to look the
> other way, while Emanuel (certificate forger) loot
> their treasury.
>
> In the 70's, Onitsha traders got fed up with daily
> armed robbery incidence
> in Onitsha, and decided that enough was enough. The
> trader met one morning in
> Onitsha, closed their shops and went after the
> criminals and killed many of
> them who had already taken up residence in the area,
> chased the rest away.
> It made headline around the world, and Onitsha and
> much of Anambara state was
> free and peaceful. The same action is what is
> needed now more than ever
> before. This is the kind of messages ASA USA should
> be sending to our people and
> not medical mission.
> Ogbuefi Ezenwanmadu
>
> In a message dated 6/2/2007 5:38:42 A.M. Pacific
> Daylight Time,
> zuzugbe@sbcglobal.net writes:
>

> Let the Medical Mission not be turned into another
> political football.
> Governor Uba is in full support of the medical
> mission. He is fully aware and
> would do whatever is possible to make it very
> successful. He harbors no animosity
> against any group especially when this mission is
> for the interest of the
> poor.
>
> Loya Eziokwu
> 8061134679
>

> Dr. Charles Uzoma Maduka
> White and Blue Collar Criminal Defense
> Former Prosecutor, Dallas County, Texas
> Three Term President, ICAN D/FW, Inc.
> Member: Pan NdiIgbo Foundation USA, Igbo PAC, USA;
> Former World Igbo Congress Board Member
> Candidate for 2003 Federal House, Nnewi Federal
> Constituency

.

__,_._,___

Okenwa R. Nwosu, M.D.

Jun 3, 2007, 7:22:09 PM6/3/07
to IRA...@aol.com, egbu...@comcast.net, cpc...@aol.com, ID...@aim.com, anpa...@yahoogroups.com, karis...@aol.com, Anambr...@yahoogroups.com, WorldIgb...@yahoogroups.com, igbo_...@yahoogroups.com, asa...@yahoogroups.com, IgboE...@yahoogroups.com, X-VENTURES FORUM, WIEF Forum, IDU USA
"It is a disservice to discredit an effort by those of us in the diaspora to do anything we can to help our kins at home. The existence of the disgraceful health care that exists in Alaigbo and Nigeria as a whole is a result of corrupt and incompetent polity. That is hardly the fault of some well meaning people like me, Dr. Acho Emeruwa, Dr. Segun Salako, Dr. Niyi Ogunkoya, Dr. Enyi Okereke, Dr. Esther Kuyinu, Dr. Ijeoma Nduka, Dr. Festus Dada and a host of others that have invested their time and money in medical missions in Alaigbo." - Dr. Julius Kpaduwa

Julius,

The thrust of my comments was not to offend anyone's sensibilities or discredit altruistic efforts of my colleagues who have contributed their time, sweat and money toward impacting the deplorable conditions of our home folks, over the years, in the best way they could. The million dollar question for all of us to answer is whether our best is good enough in addressing the problems at ground zero in a quantifiable and sustainable way? Furthermore, is the current approach the most cost-effective way of leveraging what has been input thus far by you and others, for example, in the advancement of health care delivery at home which is responsible for the problems in the first place?

I may have exaggerated a bit by characterizing the medical missions as "feel-good trips". My intent was to emphasize the fact that no one should regard these yearly medical missions as a slam-dunk solution for the calamity our people face at home. Surely, some people's lives have been touched and markedly transformed by these missions as you eloquently stated. 99.99% of the population, however, have similarly challenging health-care needs which these brief medical missions can never reach, not to mention address. That is where I am coming from.

ANPA had pioneered these missions as its method of contributing to the upkeep of those who cannot migrate out of the country for safer grounds like us here in the US Diaspora. I commend Dr. Acho Emeruwa and rest of ANPA's founding leadership for this initiative. Time has come, however, for a revisitation of this initiative and reassessment of its long-term benefits when juxtaposed side-by-side with dollar value already committed to it over the years. Are there alternative ways of getting more bang for the dollar earmarked for future trips, both by ANPA or other entities that have now commenced their own medical missions?

US-based Nigerian physicians go on these missions because they feel somehow obligated to do something for the betterment of our kith and kin at home. Almost every Diaspora Nigerian tasks himself or herself to do something, on ongoing basis, to help in alleviating the difficult situation at home. Some send cash regularly while others contribute through many ways that are amenable to them. As Nigerians, we don't have to claim responsibility for the many woes that afflict our people at home before we realize that is both our responsibility and challenge to bring about a change in the status quo. I bet that this conviction motivated your quest to get involved in contest for governorship of Imo state. We do share a sense of guilt for abandoning our own flesh and blood to eke out a living in dire circumstances even though we are not directly responsible for creating them. Unfortunately, this is our lot for originating in our part of the world.

By the way, I don't consider your contribution on this matter as a version of "Internet war of words". The matter under discussion is all about enhancing the survivability of our folks in this era and conscientious people cannot afford to remain mute or observe from the sidelines while conditions for basic existence continue to deteriorate for our very own people. This is the burden we must bear because if we don't lead the way, no one else would.

Greetings from Marcia and rest of my household.

Okenwa.

Jun 4, 2007, 7:01:51 AM6/4/07
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

My view is that the medical missions are a short term strategy to address the needs of  a  few while we await the much needed Government with the social and political will to sincerely address the health rights and needs of Nigerians.

To Dr. Anthony  Okeke,

What is the guarantee that the doctors trained abroad as you suggested will not remain in diaspora  and start their own medical missions ?  Which US trained doctor will return to Nigeria to settle and deliver the much needed services at less that cut throat charges that  the teeming numbers  of poor Nigerians can never afford ?

We are now looking up to our  brand new "Servant Leader" and all those declared winners by INEC for solutions,

Keep hope alive,

Ugonna

ugonna ezekwem

Jun 4, 2007, 7:02:19 AM6/4/07
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

My view is that the medical missions are a short term strategy to address the needs of  a  few while we await the much needed Government with the social and political will to sincerely address the health rights and needs of Nigerians.

To Dr. Anthony  Okeke,

What is the guarantee that the doctors trained abroad as you suggested will not remain in diaspora  and start their own medical missions ?  Which US trained doctor will return to Nigeria to settle and deliver the much needed services at less that cut throat charges that  the teeming numbers  of poor Nigerians can never afford ?

We are now looking up to our  brand new "Servant Leader" and all those declared winners by INEC for solutions,

Keep hope alive,

Ugonna

Building a website is a piece of cake.