Ada compiler on wf2.network.com

Timo Warns

Jul 28, 2008, 7:27:29 AM7/28/08
to wide-finder
Hello,

I'm preparing a contribution to the project written in Ada.
Unfortunately, wf2.network.com has no Ada compiler currently
installed. Could someone with root access be so kind and install the
"gcc4ada" package of Blastwave?

Thanks, Timo

Tim Bray

Jul 28, 2008, 11:07:14 AM7/28/08
to wide-...@googlegroups.com

Done -Tim

Timo Warns

Jul 29, 2008, 4:43:44 AM7/29/08
to wide-finder
Could you also install the "libgmp" package? It provides the GNU
Multiple Precision library.
Thank you very much!

By the way, which libraries are others using for large integers?

Cheers, Timo

Tim Bray

Jul 29, 2008, 11:08:31 AM7/29/08
to wide-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:43 AM, Timo Warns <timo....@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Could you also install the "libgmp" package? It provides the GNU
> Multiple Precision library.
> Thank you very much!

Done

> By the way, which libraries are others using for large integers?

For Ruby and Python programmers, it's built-in :) -T

Pete Kirkham

Jul 29, 2008, 2:52:44 PM7/29/08
to wide-...@googlegroups.com
Given a dataset with 218 million entries, unless you're doing something a little odd you don't even need to go to 64 bit integers to count them, let alone multiple precision. 2**64 is enough to count  every person on the planet visiting a url once a second for a century; ongoing is popular, but not that popular.

Pete

James Aylett

Jul 29, 2008, 3:08:22 PM7/29/08
to wide-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 07:52:44PM +0100, Pete Kirkham wrote:

> Given a dataset with 218 million entries, unless you're doing something a
> little odd you don't even need to go to 64 bit integers to count them, let
> alone multiple precision. 2**64 is enough to count every person on the
> planet visiting a url once a second for a century; ongoing is popular, but

> not *that* popular.

You need 64 bit for the byte counts, unless you use a fixed point type
somehow. But since you can do that within a 32 bit process, I agree it
probably isn't an issue.

James Aylett xapian.org
ja...@tartarus.org uncertaintydivision.org

Erik Engbrecht

Jul 29, 2008, 3:09:18 PM7/29/08
to wide-...@googlegroups.com
You need long integers in order to calculate an exact total of the bytes for each url.