WysiwygEditor with Ajax

Jan Dohrmann

Sep 9, 2014, 8:51:50 PM9/9/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastien,

Which ajax behaviors can I add to the WysiwygEditor? I tried with OnChangeAjaxBehavior and AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior.

I need to "auto save" all changes in the Editor.

Best Regards
Jan

Sebastien

Sep 10, 2014, 7:56:12 AM9/10/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

The bootstrap-wysiwyg (the jquery plugin) does not provide such feature. But you can attach an event to the underlying Container (not the underlying TextArea!). That's also means that you cannot attach a form input related event/behavior ('change' / OnChangeAjaxBehavior). So 'keyup' seems to be a good compromise:

        DefaultWysiwygToolbar toolbar = new DefaultWysiwygToolbar("toolbar");
        final WysiwygEditor editor = new WysiwygEditor("wysiwyg", Model.of(""), toolbar);
        form.add(editor, toolbar);

        editor.get("container").add(new AjaxEventBehavior("keyup") {

            @Override
            protected void onEvent(AjaxRequestTarget target)
            {
                MyPage.this.info("Saving...");

                target.add(feedback);
            }
        });

Hope this helps,
Sebastien.

Jan Dohrmann

Sep 10, 2014, 12:53:03 PM9/10/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
It helps. Thank you for a quick response while you are busy.

Best Regards

Jan Dohrmann

Sep 10, 2014, 1:50:07 PM9/10/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastien,

The wysiwyg do not update the model before a submit. Any hint about how to access the entered text before a submit inside the key-up AjaxEventBehavior code. Just a hint if you have an idea.

Best Regards
Jan

Sebastien

Sep 10, 2014, 1:54:51 PM9/10/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan

Hi Sebastien,

The wysiwyg do not update the model before a submit.
Yes, this is the normal behavior, the model is updated after submit, if no error

Any hint about how to access the entered text before a submit inside the key-up AjaxEventBehavior code. Just a hint if you have an idea.
#getValue() should return the text

Best Regards
Jan

Best regards,
Sebastien.

Jan Dohrmann

Sep 10, 2014, 1:59:25 PM9/10/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Txs Sebastien,

Tried getValue on the editor. It is not "filled" before the submit.

Best Regards
Jan

Sebastien

Sep 10, 2014, 2:06:14 PM9/10/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
How, you get a point! Actually that's because we did not submit it (AjaxEventBehavior does not post)

Ok, try to bind AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior("keyup") to the editor directly and let me know, thanks.

Jan Dohrmann

Sep 10, 2014, 2:17:20 PM9/10/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
The behavior works on the editor but the value is not updated.

Jan Dohrmann

Sep 10, 2014, 2:35:20 PM9/10/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
I will try to implement a self-submitting form. Not a pretty solution...

Best Regards
Jan

Sebastien

Sep 10, 2014, 2:46:32 PM9/10/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
I am sorry, I don't have a better solution. I tried something else (posting, #inputChanged and #convertInput) but it does not work either due to the nature of the component (the fact that the textarea is not updated while you are typing...)

Jan Dohrmann

Sep 10, 2014, 3:18:20 PM9/10/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your the help. I will post a solution.

Best Regards
Jan

Maxim Solodovnik

Sep 11, 2014, 12:54:53 AM9/11/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
I believe component should be modified to implement this
I would add client side script updating model every X seconds (keyUp seems to be too annoying)

Martin Grigorov

Sep 11, 2014, 2:14:38 AM9/11/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
You can use AjaxRequestAttributes' throttleing for that.

Sebastien

Sep 11, 2014, 4:02:39 AM9/11/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan, Maxim, Martin,

Right, keyup isn't the best as it will send many requests, a timer would be better... I also think the component should be modified to integrate this.
@Jan, could you open an issue in GitHub so I take care of this?

Thanks & best regards,
Sebastien.

Jan Dohrmann

Sep 11, 2014, 10:30:11 AM9/11/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastien,

I started on a solution but it just not work yet maybe you can see why. Here is the essential code(not all) - see below. Form is submitted by timer but models are not updated. I could open a issue but maybe I could provide you will a template for a solution first. Keyup is not to bad - it can be set on the form, the editor container or the editor. It only fires once per click.

Beside using a timer I tried to generate a form submit from the keyup code itself. I am trying to say that the structure could be optimized but right now I do not understand may my form submit do notuopdate the models but a ajaxbutton submit does.

editor.get("container").add(new AjaxEventBehavior("keyup")
{
   @Override
   protected void onEvent(AjaxRequestTarget target)
   {
      // Copy input from <div> to <text-area> on keyup - this works - can see it in the dom
      target.appendJavaScript("$('#" + editor.getMarkupId() + "> textarea').html($('#" + editor.get("container").getMarkupId() +"').html())");
   }
}

// Adding a timer to the form - see AjaxTimerFormSubmitBehavior implementation below
form.add(new AjaxTimerFormSubmitBehavior(form, Duration.seconds(1))
{
    @Override
    protected void onSubmit(AjaxRequestTarget target)
    {
       // This method is called but the models are not set?
       logger.debug(recordModel.getObject().getValue());
       logger.debug(editor.getValue());
    }
    @Override
     protected void onError(AjaxRequestTarget target)
     {
     }
});

// The timer behaviour
public abstract class AjaxTimerFormSubmitBehavior extends AbstractAjaxTimerBehavior
{
    private Form<?> __form;

    private boolean defaultProcessing = true;

    public AjaxTimerFormSubmitBehavior(Duration updateInterval)
    {
        this(null, updateInterval);
    }

    public AjaxTimerFormSubmitBehavior(Form<?> form, Duration updateInterval)
    {
        super(updateInterval);
        __form = form;

        if (form != null)
        {
            form.setOutputMarkupId(true);
        }
    }

    @Override
    protected void onTimer(final AjaxRequestTarget target)
    {
        getForm().getRootForm().onFormSubmitted(new IFormSubmitter()
        {
            public Form<?> getForm()
            {
                return AjaxTimerFormSubmitBehavior.this.getForm();
            }

            public boolean getDefaultFormProcessing()
            {
                return AjaxTimerFormSubmitBehavior.this.getDefaultProcessing();
            }

            public void onSubmit()
            {
                AjaxTimerFormSubmitBehavior.this.onSubmit(target);
            }

            public void onError()
            {
                AjaxTimerFormSubmitBehavior.this.onError(target);
            }

            public void onAfterSubmit()
            {
            }
        });
    }

    public final Form<?> getForm()
    {
        if (__form == null)
        {
            __form = findForm();

            if (__form == null)
            {
                throw new IllegalStateException("form was not specified in the constructor and cannot " + "be found in the hierarchy of the component this behavior " + "is attached to: Component=" +                        getComponent().toString(false));
            }
        }
        return __form;
    }

    public boolean getDefaultProcessing()
    {
        return defaultProcessing;
    }

    protected Form<?> findForm()
    {
        // try to find form in the hierarchy of owning component
        Component component = getComponent();
        if (component instanceof Form<?>)
        {
            return (Form<?>) component;
        } else
        {
            return component.findParent(Form.class);
        }
    }

    protected abstract void onSubmit(AjaxRequestTarget target);

    protected abstract void onError(AjaxRequestTarget target);
}

Best Regards
Jan

Jan Dohrmann

Sep 11, 2014, 10:51:39 AM9/11/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maxin and Martin,

I first see you comments know. So a timer would be the right solution. Is the auto form submit I suggested a bad idea? Should the client just send an ajaxcall? I have not worked with AjaxRequestAttributes.

Best Regards
Jan

Sebastien

Sep 11, 2014, 10:51:53 AM9/11/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

> Copy input from <div> to <text-area> on keyup - this works - can see it in the dom

I do not totally agree with the approach consisting of copying div text to textarea. I think you somehow shortcut the editor's behavior...

It's hard to me to answer this specific question without looking at / remembering the editor's code in detail. I think the best is to try to find an embedded solution, so feel free to open the issue and I will manage this as soon as... I've got 5 free minutes :) (hard to find, but probably this WE...)

Best regards,
Sebastien

Jan Dohrmann

Sep 11, 2014, 11:14:48 AM9/11/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastien,

I opened a issue.

Agree with your comment about copying from div to text-area - it is a dual implementation of what happens in javascript code of the native editor - just needed for testing.

Mean issue for me was why form auto submit does not work. But if you can do it in 5 min (when you have time) I am going to wait due to the fact that it is the first time I went down to the javascript level from Wicket. I know javascript and jQuery but do not have the full view of how Wicket use it (archicture). I am going to learn from the masters...

Best Regards
Jan

Sebastien

Sep 11, 2014, 3:18:51 PM9/11/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

So actually you can do it without I have to update the code:

        DefaultWysiwygToolbar toolbar = new DefaultWysiwygToolbar("toolbar");
        final WysiwygEditor editor = new WysiwygEditor("wysiwyg", Model.of(""), toolbar);

        form.add(editor, toolbar);

        editor.add(new AbstractAjaxTimerBehavior(Duration.ONE_SECOND) {

            @Override
            protected void updateAjaxAttributes(AjaxRequestAttributes attributes)
            {
                super.updateAjaxAttributes(attributes);

                attributes.getDynamicExtraParameters().add(String.format("return { 'text': jQuery('#%s').text() }", editor.getEditorMarkupId()));
            }

            @Override
            protected void onTimer(AjaxRequestTarget target)
            {
                String value = RequestCycleUtils.getQueryParameterValue("text").toString();

                // TODO: do here want you want to do with the value
                info(String.format("%s - %s", new Date().toString(), value));
                target.add(feedback);
            }
        });

Please do *not* close the issue, I will use it to remember writing a wiki.

Thanks and best regards,
Yoda - no I'm kidding :)

Jan Dohrmann

Sep 11, 2014, 3:47:14 PM9/11/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sebastien,

I stress tested and it went direct into production. This is fantastic!

I will not close the issue. Did not know the AjaxRequestAttributes possibility so I also learned something new today.

Best Regards
Jan
Message has been deleted

Sebastien

Sep 11, 2014, 6:17:34 PM9/11/14
to wicket-j...@googlegroups.com
Right, use jQuery('#%s').html() instead

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Jan Dohrmann <dohrm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Small comment the code do not pickup any formatting from the text field like <b></b>. It gives the pure text

Best Regards
Jan

Message has been deleted