whitebox_tools problem, Mac OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

Garth Fletcher

Jun 27, 2023, 2:30:36 AM6/27/23
to WhiteboxTools
Have used WBT in past on this system with QGIS, but problems since plugin update.
WTB processes show up in the Processing toolbox, but they exit with errors.
I tried with the latest version (30 Mar 23), but same issues.

As a trouble-shooting attempt, I tried running whitebox_tools directly in Terminal with the following results:
Mm-i7-A:~ garth$ /Users/garth/WBT/whitebox_tools ; exit;
dyld: cannot load 'whitebox_tools' (load command 0x80000034 is unknown)
Abort trap: 6
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

Any suggestions?

Garth Fletcher

Jul 1, 2023, 6:51:52 PM7/1/23
to WhiteboxTools
 "load command 0x80000034" is unknown on Mac OS X <= 10.15.  Apparently the latest release of WBT requires OSX 10.16 or later...
No doubt due to a change in how the latest WTB was compiled.
It would be very nice if it would continue to support OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)!

Garth Fletcher

Jul 1, 2023, 7:16:55 PM7/1/23
to WhiteboxTools
Note added in proof: reverting to WBT 2.2 solves the problem.  Also, the problem is with the binary rather than the plugin.

Correction: should have stated " load command 0x80000034" is unknown on Mac OS X < 10.15.  Original comment used "<=", corrected to "<".
Apparently the latest 2.3 release of WBT was compiled to require OSX 10.15 (Catalina) or later..

It would be lovely if it could be compiled compatible with 10.13.

Garth Fletcher

Jul 4, 2023, 12:34:14 PM7/4/23
to WhiteboxTools
Further clarification concerning WBT under Mac OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra) with QGIS 3.30 or 3.32:
1) WBT 2.3 cannot be used because of "(load command 0x80000034 is unknown)" issue, but WBT 2.2 is OK
2) QGIS 3.32.0 cannot be used, even with WBT 2.2, because of "Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart", but QGIS 3.30.3 is OK

So 2 issues, both relating to compilation with support only for later OS X (possibly requiring 10.14 or 10.15) :
  a) WBT 2.3
  b) QGIS 3.32.0 (will be reported to QGIS)

Please, if at all possible, compile with support for OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)

Thanks.

Whitebox Geospatial Inc

Jul 4, 2023, 1:32:56 PM7/4/23
to Garth Fletcher, WhiteboxTools

Hello Garth,

Apple released High Sierra five years ago and stopped supporting that OS two years ago. I don’t think that it makes much sense for us to distribute Whitebox for this particular OS. I’d argue that it’s ill-advised to be running such an outdated OS from a security perspective. However, if for some reason, you need to run it, then you can compile WhiteboxTools Open Core from source code. If you run into issues doing so, it may be because Rust, the programming language that it is developed in, also does not support an outdated version of MacOS; I’m not sure if this is the case or not, but it may well be.

Regards,

John