BufferVector Status

Douglas Long

Nov 6, 2021, 11:58:54 AM11/6/21
to WhiteboxTools
regarding - whitebox-tools-app/src/tools/gis_analysis/buffer_vector.rs

Why is it commented out? I tried searching for notes or comments on it.
Is it incomplete or? I don't mind helping fix it, just figured I would ask you before I try.

Thanks,
Doug

Douglas Long

Nov 6, 2021, 12:51:23 PM11/6/21
to WhiteboxTools
nevermind, I found this post - https://github.com/jblindsay/whitebox-tools/issues/121
I certainly agree with you on this point, but I think people often underestimate just how complex vector buffering is to implement. At the moment, I don't have a Rust-based topology suite in WBT (like JTS used in WBGAT), which makes creating a vector buffering tool very challenging without. In fact, all of the vector overlay functions are incredibly complex, but buffering is even more difficult. I hope that one day I'll be able to accomplish this but am hoping that someone in the Rust community will port JTS at some point in the future, making this tool far easier to implement.