soft breakline TIN or interpolation.

Saulteau Don

Aug 5, 2021, 3:01:33 PM8/5/21
to whiteb...@googlegroups.com
Curious, if there are any tools in Whitebox to generate a TIN or interpolate a dem using soft breaklines (ie, breaklines without a z-value) that represent surface structures like water body edges, roads, etc.

I've been trying for a while to find a solution as a govt agency provides the necessary data as:

 - contour lines with a z-value
 - height points with a z-value
 - breaklines (soft) without a z-value

it needs these 3 inputs.

Basically when the TIN is generated without the breaklines as input, the mesh will cross water boundaries for example or shoot out into the ocean or crosses roads and other structures. so they're essential.

breaklines that have z-values are referred to as hard breaklines but those aren't available in this case.

SaultDon

Anthony Francioni

Aug 5, 2021, 3:24:06 PM8/5/21
to Saulteau Don, whiteb...@googlegroups.com
Hello SaultDon,

No, I’m afraid that WhiteboxTools’ current TINing tools do not take breakline inputs. To be honest, I’m not even sure how I would implement that; I would need to put some thought into it for sure. Anyhow, why don’t you open a Feature Request for this in the Github issues tracker?

Regards,

John

Saulteau Don

Aug 5, 2021, 3:28:28 PM8/5/21
to Anthony Francioni, whiteb...@googlegroups.com
OK I can do that and show some examples of tools that kind of do it in the open source world and then what some commercial products use.

v.triangle for GRASS GIS does it, and postgis now has constrained delaunay which is a backbone of it.

It's a common workflow in my neck of the woods (BC, Canada).

Donovan