Depth to water - can't get vector inputs to work

emanuel vogel

Feb 22, 2024, 8:57:03 AMFeb 22
to WhiteboxTools
Hello,

I'm trying to use the depth to water tool in Whitebox Workflows Pro. I have a stream vector file (shape format), which I produced from the same DEM using only whitebox hydrology tools.

When I try to run depth_to_water I get this error message:

"TypeError: The input vector streams data must be of polyline base shape type."

What could be the reason for this?

Some print statements for info:
streams = wbe.read_vector('streams.shp')
print(type(streams))
<class 'builtins.Vector'>

geom = streams[1]
print(f'Geometry type: {geom.shape_type}')
Geometry type: VectorGeometryType.PolyLine

Regards,
Emanuel Vogel

Whitebox Geospatial Inc

Feb 22, 2024, 9:00:32 AMFeb 22
to emanuel vogel, WhiteboxTools

Hello Emanuel,

This is actually a bug which I fixed earlier last week when one of my students came across the same issue. I intend to release the next version of WbW (v1.2.1) this weekend, which will include the fix for this issue. I’m sorry for the inconvenience and hope that the wait for the new release doesn’t put you too far behind. Thank you very much for taking the time to report the issue.

Regards,

John

emanuel vogel

Feb 22, 2024, 11:23:57 AMFeb 22
to WhiteboxTools
Hello John,

Thank you for a very quick reply! No worries from my side, I'm just curious to try the tool and see if we can incorporate it in our workflow around wetland restoration projects.

Very happy with Workflows and the Pro license so far, great work!

Regards,
Emanuel

Whitebox Geospatial Inc

Feb 26, 2024, 7:20:00 AMFeb 26
to emanuel vogel, WhiteboxTools

Hello Emanuel,

Just to let you know, I released v1.2.1 of Whitebox Workflows for Python Pro yesterday which included a fix for the depth_to_water function. Please give it a try and let us know if you encounter any further issues. Thanks again for reporting the problem.

Regards,

John

emanuel vogel

Feb 26, 2024, 8:37:07 AMFeb 26
to WhiteboxTools
I already gave it at try and now it works as intended.

Thank you!

emanuel vogel

Mar 11, 2024, 3:54:25 PMMar 11
to WhiteboxTools
Update:

Today I tried to use the tool with lake inputs instead of streams, and got the same message: "TypeError: The input lakes vector data must be of polygon base shape type."
The input is a shapefile with just a single, simple polygon.