Strategy: Points to DEM? to Contour with WBT

David Wormuth

Jun 22, 2023, 2:37:39 PM6/22/23
to WhiteboxTools
I have a LandXML file from Carlson Software. It's essentially a point cloud of XYZ data. The data is 400 points from a survey of about 1/2 acre. I know the EPSG for the points. I can move the data to a CSV format.

My goal is to import contour polygons into QGIS.

I'm new at GIS and WBT, anyone have some "pointers" to move from points to contours? I'm guessing it would need to become a DEM as an intermediate step. Looking for a series of WBT functions to move from points to a position where normal contouring tricks would work (either in WBT or QGIS).

I have both full WBT and full python WBW available to me.

Thank you,

Dave Wormuth

Whitebox Geospatial Inc

Jun 22, 2023, 2:54:43 PM6/22/23
to David Wormuth, WhiteboxTools

Hi Dave,

You can convert your CSV point file into a shapefile vector using the CsvPointsToVector tool, and then interpolate contours from your points using the ContoursFromPoints tool.

Regards,

John

David Wormuth

Jun 22, 2023, 2:57:31 PM6/22/23
to WhiteboxTools
As a first stab:

CsvPointsToVector
ContoursFromPoints

Should give me a SHP file I can import to QGIS