Lidar Thin producing LAS 1.3 files

gaming reaction

Mar 18, 2024, 3:42:58 PMMar 18
to WhiteboxTools
Hello,

I recently tried using the Lidar Thin program and although the program is very fast and gives great results the files it produces are LAS 1.3 files and I have downstream processing that requires LAS 1.4.  Is there a way to specify the LAS version to produce the files in?  Or could this possibly be in an update.

Thanks,
Spencer

Whitebox Geospatial Inc

Mar 18, 2024, 3:53:05 PMMar 18
to gaming reaction, WhiteboxTools

Hi Spencer,

Thanks for your question. I’ve actually thought about updating Wb’s LAS writer to use LAS v1.4 several times in the past. The reader already handles v1.4 without issue. The problem is that my lidar processing workflow does use some software that cannot handle v1.4, specifically the plas.io point cloud visualization software. That’s the main reason why I haven’t updated it as of yet. Also, the LAS reader/writer is custom code built into Wb itself (I wrote it) and I’d like to as much as possible offload file i/o to libraries where I don’t need to maintain as much. For example, for LAZ support, Wb uses a Rust library for reading and writing that data format. I’ve thought about doing the same for LAS files. I sure would love to do that for raster data i/o too, but sadly GDAL isn’t Rust code and can’t be directly embedded into the Wb codebase…but one can dream of a life where I don’t spend endless hours trying to support the countless forms of a GeoTIFF file! Anyhow, I hope that answers your question.

Regards,

John