Lidar Segmentation tool appears to be hanging

Mark Paxton-MacRae

Mar 4, 2024, 9:50:09 PMMar 4
to WhiteboxTools
Hello;

I'm an archaeologist attempting to use Whitebox tools to remove everything except ground points from a few large Lidar filer. I"m still very much a neophyte with Whitebox. Pardon me if I leave out important information.

I have an unclassified LiDAR file of approximately 8GB that I'm trying to run the Segmentation tool on and the Tool output window has been sitting at "performing tophat transform" for most of a day.

Erosion is at 0%.

I've left the Search Radius, Normal Difference Threshold and Maximum Elevation Difference untouched.

My CPU is running at 100% and has been there since I started this tool.

My system is fairly new, with an i711700k CPU and 128 GB memory on an ASUSTEK Prime Z 590P motherboard.

Am I just being impatient? I have in the past tried other tools and I've had the same results, CPU at 100% and the tool output at 0%. I let the Ground Point Filter run for about 48 hours a month ago and it got up to 2%.

Please let me know if you need more information and I'll happily pass that on.

The dataset itself is owned by someone else so I can't provide that, but other than that I'm open.