LidarJoin Tool

Nomeneta Saili

Sep 2, 2021, 7:20:34 AM9/2/21
to WhiteboxTools
Hi guys,

When I run this tool to merge/combine 2 lidar filed I get this error

Adding file: 1 of 1

Writing output LAS file...

error while writing: Custom { kind: Other, error: "The header of a LAS file must be added before any point records. Please see add_header()." }

Any help appreciated

Thanks,

Nome

Whitebox Geospatial Inc

Sep 2, 2021, 7:23:09 AM9/2/21
to Nomeneta Saili, WhiteboxTools
Hello Nomeneta,

When you say ’this tool’ I assume you’re talking about LidarJoin, right? Are you able to share the two files with me?

Regards,

John

Nomeneta Saili

Sep 2, 2021, 7:40:11 AM9/2/21
to Whitebox Geospatial Inc, WhiteboxTools
Hi John,

Yes the LidarJoin tool which I assume is for combine of two or more lidar files correct

Thank you very much for the prompt reply

Whitebox Geospatial Inc

Sep 2, 2021, 10:05:47 AM9/2/21
to Nomeneta Saili, WhiteboxTools
Hi Nomeneta,

I have just heard back from Alex and he has fixed the issue in the QGIS frontend to resolve this problem with the LidarJoin tool. He says that a re-install of the Q frontend should fix your problem. Thanks again for letting us know about the problem.

Regards,

John

On Sep 2, 2021, at 7:28 AM, Nomeneta Saili <no...@skyeye.ws> wrote:

Thankyou very much John. Will try that.

Cheers,

Nome

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 2:21 AM Whitebox Geospatial Inc <sup...@whiteboxgeo.com> wrote:
I can confirm the issue when run in the QGIS frontend. It appears to me that the QGIS frontend is not feeding the input files parameter (—inputs) to the command line. I’m not sure why that is, but I’ll raise the issue with Alex Bruy, the maintainer of the QGIS frontend. In the meantime, I’d suggest running the tool from the WhiteboxTools Runner frontend (that wb_runner.py Python script contained in your WBT folder), or from a Python script if you’re comfortable with that.

Regards,

John

On Sep 2, 2021, at 7:12 AM, Nomeneta Saili <no...@skyeye.ws> wrote:

Hi John

I am using QGIS 3.16 plugin for whitebox. Here is the log. The other tools works fine except for this one.

QGIS version: 3.16.10-Hannover
QGIS code revision: e5b665e9
Qt version: 5.15.2
GDAL version: 3.3.1
GEOS version: 3.9.1-CAPI-1.14.2
PROJ version: Rel. 8.1.0, July 1st, 2021
Processing algorithm…
Algorithm 'LidarJoin' starting…
Input parameters:
{ 'inputs' : ['C:/MNRE WRD GIS Training/Clip_Lidar.las','C:/MNRE WRD GIS Training/Clip_Lidar_2.las'], 'output' : 'C:/MNRE WRD GIS Training/Data/Lidar/Combine_Lidar.las' }

WhiteboxTools command:
"C:/WBT/whitebox_tools.exe" --run=LidarJoin --output="C:\MNRE WRD GIS Training\Data\Lidar\Combine_Lidar.las" -v
WhiteboxTools command output:
************************

* Welcome to LidarJoin *

************************

Adding file: 1 of 1

Writing output LAS file...

error while writing: Custom { kind: Other, error: "The header of a LAS file must be added before any point records. Please see add_header()." }

Execution completed in 0.25 seconds
Results:
{'output': 'C:/MNRE WRD GIS Training/Data/Lidar/Combine_Lidar.las'}

Algorithm 'LidarJoin' finished

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 1:53 AM Whitebox Geospatial Inc <sup...@whiteboxgeo.com> wrote:
Hello Nomeneta,

Okay, as you can see below, it appears to have worked without issue for me:

<Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 7.49.03 AM.png>

And it produced a single file that I could display in plas.io, indicating that the file is correctly formed:

<Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 7.50.03 AM.png>

So then, may I ask what environment are you running the tool in? Is it in a Python script, or are you perhaps using one of the frontend, like QGIS, ArcGIS, or the WhiteboxTools Runner? Can you please show the entire print-out of the tool?

Regards,

John

john mueller

Dec 3, 2021, 2:55:49 PM12/3/21
to WhiteboxTools
I'm running the LidarJoin via cmd line.    I'm receiving a similiar message as above

        Merge LiDAR sources with WhiteBox Tools
        * Welcome to LidarJoin     *