Labels and templates for issues on GitHub?

Jean-François Bourdon

Aug 4, 2021, 9:50:54 PM8/4/21
to WhiteboxTools
As the user base of WhiteboxTools is growing, so is the list of issues on GitHub... but also so is the number of potential developers helping updating WBT. For this reason, I think it could help manage issues if some labels were available. I'm used to QGIS' repo where a bunch of labels exists. It could be:
  • Feedback -> more information from the OP needed
  • Bug -> well... a bug
  • Windows -> specific issue on Windows system
  • Unix  -> specific issue on Unix systems
  • Feature Request -> request for a new feature / tool
  • Regression -> something that worked in a previous version that doesn't anymore
  • Question -> question that should be on the WBT Google Group or GIS StackExchange
  • Python API -> problems related to the Python API
  • Won't fix -> issue that can't or won't be fix for a specific reason
Also, templates for issue could help filtering and get better bug report. Again, I'm used to the way it's done for the QGIS project (new issue for QGIS). Something very similar could be add for the WBT repo. I would be happy to give a hand.

Any thoughts?

Anthony Francioni

Aug 5, 2021, 9:06:55 AM8/5/21
to Jean-François Bourdon, WhiteboxTools
Hello John-Francois,

I agree that labels for the issues on Github is a good idea. I have tried to unroll labels in the past, but won’t lie that I have been somewhat neglectful on this front. When the busy teaching semesters hit, these things tend to get less of my attention. That is one of the ideas behind Whitebox Geospatial Inc. By having a bit of revenue to support a full time person working on the project (Anthony) we can stay more on top of this type of thing when I have less time to focus on WhiteboxTools. I also really like the list of labels that you’ve established here. I believe that I have been using the Feature Request label, but some of the others I can certainly see value in, e.g. Regression, Question (which definitely needs to move to this forum instead as Github is no place for this type of thing), Python API, etc. I will talk with Anthony about setting up the labels and doing a pass through the current issues list. Thanks again.

Regards,

John

Whitebox Geospatial

Aug 9, 2021, 12:34:32 PM8/9/21
to WhiteboxTools
Hello John-Francois,

I have now added appropriate labels to the issue tracker on Github for WhiteboxTools. I have implemented the following:

Bug = a bug in the codebase.
Feature Request = request for a new feature to be added to an existing tool or a new tool.
Feedback = further information is needed from the OP.
Question = question that is better suited for the WBT Google Group or GIS StackExchange.
QGIS plugin = This issue is directly related to the Whitebox for Processing QGIS Plugin. The issue may be better asked on the QGIS plugin bug tracker
AcrGIS plugin= This issue is directly related to the WhiteboxTools-ArcGIS plugin. The issue may be better asked on the WhiteboxTools-ArcGIS issue tracker page.
WBT-runner = this issue is related to our WhiteboxTools Runner front end.
WBT-API = problems related to the Python AP.
Won't fix = issue that can't or won't be fix for a specific reason.
Regression = something that worked in a previous version that doesn't anymore.
unix = problem with unix environments.
windows = problems with windows environment .

If you can think of any else, please let me know.

Best,
Anthony

Douglas Long

Nov 6, 2021, 12:44:54 PM11/6/21