Song List

Gratefully Yours

Nov 16, 2023, 2:48:31 PM11/16/23
to WheresTheGig
I guess I must be an outlier in terms of need here, as I'm not seeing anyone else asking and it seems so basic and necessary to me. But maybe I'm missing something.  I'd really like to be able to see the song list as just a text list of song titles. Maybe an option to hide the subcategories or something?

I have a couple hundred songs in there and it is really not friendly to browse through them

Paul Early

Nov 16, 2023, 2:50:07 PM11/16/23
to Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
I also hate the grid format and would love a list view. With a lot of songs it’s very unfriendly. You are not alone.

Paul Early

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 11:48 AM Gratefully Yours <gratefull...@gmail.com> wrote:
I guess I must be an outlier in terms of need here, as I'm not seeing anyone else asking and it seems so basic and necessary to me. But maybe I'm missing something.  I'd really like to be able to see the song list as just a text list of song titles. Maybe an option to hide the subcategories or something?

I have a couple hundred songs in there and it is really not friendly to browse through them

Ethan Brown

Nov 16, 2023, 4:29:22 PM11/16/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
You have been heard.  Thanksgiving is coming up, but I should be able to have something out within a few weeks.
My concept with the current implementation is that when one goes to review their songs, they can use the filter and the "boxes" are so the maximum number of results can be displayed, viewable from a page.  But there is no downside to a "listview" in a table format also.

Grateful: I have over 800 songs in my song list, the filter makes it easy to quickly display the relevant ones.  Here's a brief video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-z63d8e2v4
But I don't mind providing a separate layout that is table based.

Paul Early

Nov 16, 2023, 4:41:37 PM11/16/23
to Ethan Brown, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
I use the filter often but still, if I fliter out "Rock" genre for example, its still a plot of songs. The grid is near impossible to work with on ipad or mobile too.

You're the best Ethan.

Paul Early

Ethan Brown

Nov 16, 2023, 5:38:06 PM11/16/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Thanks Paul.  And thanks for suggesting this, Grateful.  I like to make WheresTheGig the best experience it can be.

Gratefully Yours

Nov 17, 2023, 12:11:58 PM11/17/23
to WheresTheGig
Thanks Ethan, sure appreciate the quick response and understanding!! While I understand the filter aspect, I just want to be able to see the whole list of song titles and work from that... expand for more info, add to set list etc (though we don't use set lists generally, as we're pretty improvisational band).  Thanks though!! it sounds like you ae right on top of it.

Dave Epperson

Nov 17, 2023, 6:17:11 PM11/17/23
to WheresTheGig
Perhaps the link to the public song list (sidebar, "other pages") might help in the meantime?

Ethan Brown

Nov 17, 2023, 7:23:51 PM11/17/23
to Dave Epperson, WheresTheGig
True.  Once can't initiate any actions on the songs, but for a "list review" that would work fine.

Ethan Brown

Nov 19, 2023, 1:28:22 PM11/19/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Paul, Grateful--

So I started working on this and the first thing that I noticed was how much faster the song list page renders using a Table instead of the Cards.  I suspect it's because it's more complicated for the browser's layout engine to compute the wrapping and things like that, and with a large song list (mine has over 800 songs), it's a noticeable lag.   My original idea was to have both the card and table layouts, but the table is so much more efficient I just completely replaced the Song List with the table.  I'm working on a way to do the same for the set list creation page.  Coming soon.

Can you please check it out and let me know if you see any problems with the song actions?

Thanks,

--Ethan

Paul Early

Nov 21, 2023, 4:25:53 PM11/21/23
to Ethan Brown, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
I see it on the songlist, which is exactly what I would like to see on the setlist creation page. You can even go smaller and less info on that page as all I really need is a clean list of songs to select from and drag to the setlist. For me, the whole setlist creation font is also very large so I can only see 8-10 songs without scrolling. Id be happier with a smaller font overall on that page with more info but that's just me and might not be for everyone. Id love to be able to see at least one full hour (15 songs) at a time without scrolling.

Paul Early

Ethan Brown

Nov 21, 2023, 6:00:16 PM11/21/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Yes.  Right now it's only on the song list page, but seeing how well it works, I'm planning on doing the same on the setlist page.  I'll make a note about the font.  I understand wanting to see more songs on the setlist page song list, and you can actually do this now choosing the compact view option:

paul.png

The preferences are shown by clicking the "gears" icon next to the filter field.

--Ethan

Ethan Brown

Nov 24, 2023, 1:37:53 PM11/24/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Hi Paul and Grateful--

I've completed the table-based song list implementation on the setlist edit page.  It definitely loads more quickly than the previous implementation.  Thanks for the suggestion, and I look forward to your comments.

--Ethan

Paul Early

Dec 1, 2023, 11:52:30 AM12/1/23
to Ethan Brown, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Ethan. Generally this works better for me with one exception. The entire screen used to scroll up but now only the bottom half does. This leaves me with a very limited view of only 7 songs in the setlist at a time. The upper block with the header, setlist name and filters is huge. So, while the right side list now has increased visibility and ease, I have lost the ability to see more of the actual set I'm working on requiring double the scrolling since each side of the page is not w individually scrollable as opposed to the entire page as before. This may actually be a little worse for me since my view of the working setlist is reduced, when I actually was looking to be able to see more.

Paul Early

Ethan Brown

Dec 1, 2023, 12:08:30 PM12/1/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Can you please send me a screenshot?  I may be able to come up with an improved version.  Thanks.

Paul Early

Dec 1, 2023, 12:26:30 PM12/1/23
to Ethan Brown, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Here you go. Both the setlist and songlist columns are fixed in position and must be scrolled independently.

Paul Early

Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 9.24.38 AM.png

Ethan Brown

Dec 1, 2023, 12:58:15 PM12/1/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Thanks Paul.  Yes, the setlist and songlist are meant to scroll independently.   If you want to see more song selections, use the "Compact List Display" option.  The option panel is displayed by clicking the "gears" icon.    Normal:

paul1.png

Compact:

paul2.png

Does this help?

--Ethan

Paul Early

Dec 1, 2023, 3:02:15 PM12/1/23
to Ethan Brown, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
The old version allowed me to see more than 7 songs in the current setlist. That is the issue for me, not the songlist.  Maybe if the setlist font was small like the songlist it would help but before I could scroll the page down and hide that useless upper third and gain a larger view of my setlist. Now, I can no longer do that so overall, this is a step backwards for me.

Your compact view only adds more visible songs to the songlist side but does nothing to expand the view of the setlist.

Paul Early

Ethan Brown

Dec 1, 2023, 3:05:28 PM12/1/23
On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 12:02 PM Paul Early <pje...@gmail.com> wrote:
The old version allowed me to see more than 7 songs in the current setlist. That is the issue for me, not the songlist.  Maybe if the setlist font was small like the songlist it would help but before I could scroll the page down and hide that useless upper third and gain a larger view of my setlist. Now, I can no longer do that so overall, this is a step backwards for me.

Your compact view only adds more visible songs to the songlist side but does nothing to expand the view of the setlist.

True.  I don't recall modifying any layouts for the setlists, but perhaps a compact view for the setlist panel so a larger number of set songs would be visible would be useful.

--Ethan

Paul Early

Dec 1, 2023, 3:07:38 PM12/1/23
to Ethan Brown, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Something changed because the current setlist box is of a fixed dimension (only views 7 songs) whereas it used to expand to the size of your setlist when you scrolled down the whole page (as opposed to just scrolling the box).

Paul Early

Ethan Brown

Dec 1, 2023, 3:38:18 PM12/1/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
OK.  I see.  I think the previous behavior was a bug I fixed when I modified the song list.  Both panels should fit the window viewport.  I'm not sure why it would make a difference to you if you have to scroll the whole page or you have to scroll the set list songs.  In both cases you have to scroll, and if you scroll down with the page to view the bottom of the set list you'll be cutting off the songs further up the song panel.  Or would you like the option of collapsing the search panel so the songs and set songs would make fuller use of the setlist edit page as a whole?  And/or would it be helpful to you to see more songs in the set list by making the view more compact?

Paul Early

Dec 1, 2023, 4:08:36 PM12/1/23
to Ethan Brown, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
I guess I'm not making myself clear. I dont really care if the whole page scrolls or just the box. However, I used to be able to see a LOT more songs at one time in my setlist than I can now. I can only view 7 songs without scrolling which severely inhibits the ability to drag and drop songs into a setlist. Before, when I could scroll down the whole screen, I could visualize almost double the number of songs without the wasted space up top.

So i dont mind some scrolling behavior but I would like to see more of my setlist at any given time (at least 15 songs or an hour of a full set). This can be done by collapsing the unused top half of the current implementation to provide more screen real estate for viewing the setlist and songlist, making the setlist more compact or allowing the entire page to scroll down to make use of the entire screen. right now, half the useable screen space has one useful function - Filtering.

Paul Early

Ethan Brown

Dec 1, 2023, 5:53:54 PM12/1/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Got it.  Let me try putting in a collapsable heading area and we can take it from there.

Ethan Brown

Dec 2, 2023, 11:41:30 AM12/2/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Hi Paul--

I ended up doing some modifications to the layout and font sizes on the setlist edit page.  It is now showing 13 songs on the set song panel, which in my experience is sufficient for a typical 45 minute set.

paul.png

You may need to logout and log back into your account to see the updates.

--Ethan

Paul Early

Dec 2, 2023, 1:26:17 PM12/2/23
to Ethan Brown, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
This is an improvement, however, I'm not getting what you are. You must have a much larger display than me. (I'm on a macbook as my primary). I have gone up from 7 songs to 9. Screenshot attached. I still miss being able to scroll up the page and hiding that upper 3rd (circled in yellow on the attachment) and seeing more songs. 15 is really my goal which is basically an hour but if I could get to 12 I'd be pretty happy.

Paul Early

Ethan Brown

Dec 2, 2023, 4:22:12 PM12/2/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
That makes sense, different displays will display differently. I've got some more ideas for showing more songs on the set list.  I have to play a corporate gig at Pala today, but maybe I'll have some time tomorrow to do some more experimenting.

Ethan Brown

Dec 3, 2023, 3:05:28 PM12/3/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Hi Paul--

There is now a compact set song option (gears icon). My display shows about 20 setlist songs when enabled:

paul.png

Let me know how that works for you.

--Ethan

Paul Early

Dec 4, 2023, 12:48:42 PM12/4/23
to Ethan Brown, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Much better, thanks. I now get 15 songs in the set display.

Paul Early

Ethan Brown

Dec 4, 2023, 12:52:15 PM12/4/23
to Paul Early, Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Awesome!  Thanks for bringing this up.  There are probably a bunch of other users that were suffering in silence about this.

Austin Bunn

Dec 5, 2023, 3:48:18 PM12/5/23
to WheresTheGig
Ethan and guys who brought this suggestion forward...good stuff!!  Thanks!

Ethan Brown

Dec 5, 2023, 3:52:42 PM12/5/23
to Austin Bunn, WheresTheGig
Exactly, Austin.  It is my assumption that one person reporting a "this doesn't work as well as it could" situation is actually representing a fair number of other people.

Austin Bunn

Jan 9, 2024, 6:04:40 PMJan 9
to WheresTheGig
Ethan,

I just noticed that when I am making set lists now it doesn't show me on the song list side which songs I've already added to the set list.  I think it used to do this so i could quickly be able to tell if I missed a song that should be in there.  I believe the songs that were already added to the list would be shaded or something like that in the song list.  I don't see that now. Know what I mean?

Thanks,
Austin

Ethan Brown

Jan 9, 2024, 6:14:10 PMJan 9
to Austin Bunn, WheresTheGig
Yeah.  it used to highlight the background in green.  I re-coded it and guess I forgot to put that back in.  Since you found that to be helpful I can put it back in.

Austin Bunn

Jan 9, 2024, 6:26:32 PMJan 9
to WheresTheGig
Cool, thank you.  One other thought, but not a big deal.  Is there a way to make it so you download the set list to a pdf while you are in the edit setlist page?  Would be simpler than having to launch back to the set lists, then scrolling to that specific set list again and hitting the download pdf button from there.  Again, no sweat if that is a pain.

Thanks,
Austin

Paul Early

Jan 9, 2024, 6:31:28 PMJan 9
to Austin Bunn, WheresTheGig
I like both of these ideas very much.

Paul Early

Ethan Brown

Jan 10, 2024, 9:15:16 AMJan 10
to Austin Bunn, WheresTheGig
Yeah.  I can probably put a PDF download action on the edit page.  I'll put that on my list.

Ethan Brown

Jan 21, 2024, 2:38:39 PMJan 21
to Austin Bunn, WheresTheGig
Austin--

The green highlights on the setlist edit page song list songs are back in place.  You will probably have to log out and log back in to have it take affect.

--Ethan

Ethan Brown

Jan 21, 2024, 3:36:26 PMJan 21
to Austin Bunn, WheresTheGig
Hi Austin--

There is now a download icon on the setlist edit page that will do a PDF download the current state of the setlist.

--Ethan

Austin Bunn

Jan 22, 2024, 12:06:05 PMJan 22
to WheresTheGig
Great, thanks for adding that!  No need to exit out anymore and search for list again to print.  Thanks!  As for the highlighted tunes that have already been added to the set list, I see they are there on the standard song list display, but not when you click the new compact song list display.  I don't want to be a pain here, so if that is alot of work to add that for the compact display I can always switch over to the old song list display to see if I missed any songs.

Ethan Brown

Jan 22, 2024, 12:17:51 PMJan 22
to Austin Bunn, WheresTheGig
Thanks for the heads up on the compact highlighting. I'll check into that.

Ethan Brown

Jan 22, 2024, 3:25:54 PMJan 22
to Austin Bunn, WheresTheGig
Hi Austin--

The compact view should now show the highlights.  You will likely have to log out and log back in to have it take effect.

--Ethan

Austin Bunn

Jan 22, 2024, 9:22:37 PMJan 22
to WheresTheGig
Hey Ethan,

I see it!  However, I also see a glitch where the set list time doesn't show anymore when you are in the edit set list page.

Ethan Brown

Jan 22, 2024, 11:18:06 PMJan 22
to Austin Bunn, WheresTheGig
Thanks Austin.  The duration bug on the setlist edit page is fixed now.  You may need to log out and log back in to have it take effect.

Austin Bunn

Jan 23, 2024, 12:05:44 AMJan 23
to Ethan Brown, WheresTheGig
Thanks Ethan.

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device
Get Outlook for Android

Jan 23, 2024, 2:28:39 PMJan 23
to Patrick Lamb, Austin Bunn, WheresTheGig
Hi Patrick--

That's pretty much the purpose of the templates.  You can create it in just a few seconds:  This video shows how to do it for an existing gig.  You can also just create a new template from whole cloth by setting all of the template values using the form, but using an existing gig fills all of that in for you.

It is an example for doing "Add Gigs For Month", but to load the template into the gig form, just select the template from the select list and click [Go], and it will load all of your gig info.

If there is ONE thing that will really make your life easy, it's using templates.  Get in touch if you have any questions.

--Ethan

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 11:06 AM Patrick Lamb <pat...@patricklamb.com> wrote:
Quick question

If I load in a complicated gig like I am doing for epcot center with Jason Scheff it would be great to have a button to duplicate with a different date.

Is this possible now?

Patrick

Gratefully Yours

Jan 24, 2024, 1:52:33 PMJan 24
to WheresTheGig
Hi Ethen, this is truly awesome work and much appreciated! But while it displays perfectly on my PC,  on my phone the column for song title is too narrow, so that songs often need two and three spaces to fit the title in.  Might there be a way to adjust that?  I personally don't need any of the other columns

Ethan Brown

Jan 24, 2024, 3:07:33 PMJan 24
to Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
That you so much for your kind words!
On the setlist edit page there is a "Compact song list display" option.  Click the gears icon to display the options and enable this.  Let me know if that helps (or if it doesn't).

Ethan Brown

Jan 24, 2024, 8:09:37 PMJan 24
to Patrick Lamb, Austin Bunn, WheresTheGig
Awesome!  I'm glad that resolved your issue.  Feel free to get in touch if anything else comes up.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024, 3:54 PM Patrick Lamb <pat...@patricklamb.com> wrote:
Thank you so much. I think I failed the intelligence test on that one lol - looks great!

Patrick

Gratefully Yours

Jan 31, 2024, 1:07:57 PMJan 31
to WheresTheGig
Unfortunately I had those options checked and they do not change the issue for me.  I've attached a couple of screen shots of what I'm seeing.
IMG_1872.PNG
IMG_1873.PNG

Ethan Brown

Jan 31, 2024, 1:13:31 PMJan 31
to Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
Thanks for the screenshots.  Since the mobile devices have limited space, try clicking the blue menu button at the top of the page.  This will hide the links on the left side of the screen and provide more space for the page content.   Click the menu again to show the navigation links when you want to display a different page.

Gratefully Yours

Jan 31, 2024, 8:27:24 PMJan 31
to WheresTheGig
So that just moves everything over to the left. It doesn't expand the Title column. For me I would like the  column width to be adjustable or just the Title column to be much wider.

Ethan Brown

Jan 31, 2024, 11:23:22 PMJan 31
On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 5:27 PM Gratefully Yours <gratefull...@gmail.com> wrote:
So that just moves everything over to the left. It doesn't expand the Title column. For me I would like the  column width to be adjustable or just the Title column to be much wider.

It provides the space that is used for navigation to be used for the other panels.  Here is how the setlist edit page looks on my phone:

mobile_setlist.jpg

You can also switch your device from Portrait to Landscape orientation which gives it more width.

I'm open to other ideas, too.

--Ethan

Gratefully Yours

Feb 1, 2024, 11:31:40 AMFeb 1
to WheresTheGig
Well for me I just want to be able to see the song titles in a list, one song per line. As you say, hiding the navigation links or using the phone in landscape gives more width to the song list page overall, but the titles width remains the same, so some songs take up to to three lines. I realize it's probably just me, but I don't really have much use for the other columns, so it's just wasted space. So ideally I would like to be able to choose what columns display, or by clicking a dragging be able to adjust the column widths ( so I can make the Title column wide enough so songs only take up one line).

On the other hand, as someone mentioned above, I can pretty much see it that way in the public song list.. But there's a strange thing with that, that in  vertical there is weird random extra spacing happening. But in horizontal it displays perfectly as a two column list... though again I'd rather the order went down one column then  filled the next column rather than going back and forth. But again, just me and rather minor quibble.

Ethan Brown

Feb 1, 2024, 12:15:56 PMFeb 1
to Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
As you can see, getting all of the information to display well on small mobile devices is a challenge.  I prefer to use my laptop / chromebook  etc to do data entry, although I think adding gigs on mobile works pretty well.  I've tried to make all of the site features at least functional under mobile, but something like a laptop is going to be much more efficient for activities like creating sets, and inputting song info.  I interface with Google services for adding venues, and the information auto-fills,  so I think that works well on all devices also. I think reviewing gig information works well on all devices.

Gratefully Yours

Feb 3, 2024, 12:06:45 PMFeb 3
to WheresTheGig
Yes totally understood. At this point these are pretty minor things, so I guess just file it under wish list (for me)... but number one, why not make the Title column wider on the mobile app., It seems to me the major scroll is through the song titles itself, if someone then really needs to see another column other than key and artist (which I figure would still display (though again to me artist is somewhat unnecessary outside of twin song titles (ok just thinking maybe someone might want to sort by artist, but it doesn't allow  different sortings anyway... that might be nice :-) )  ANYWAY... having to scroll over for that info is much less an issue (than your big scroll through the song list itself).

And secondly (truly minor, as its just a preference to hold the phone vertically over horizontally) would be to fix the vertical mode of the public song list having random extra spacing.

IMG_1877.PNG
IMG_1876.PNG

Ethan Brown

Feb 3, 2024, 8:53:41 PMFeb 3
to Gratefully Yours, WheresTheGig
OK.  So the wide screen looks fine, but the narrow screen has weird line spacing, right?