WhereCamp5280 2012 is in the works!

Eric Wolf

Apr 27, 2012, 1:01:38 AM4/27/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
We had a great planning meeting at the Wynkoop tonight. First two orders of business: When & Where.

Tenatively, we are aiming for July 20-21. That is the weekend before the ESRI UC.

We are also hoping to utilize space at UC-Denver but we need to re-establish connections there.

-Eric

Peter Batty

Apr 27, 2012, 10:15:04 AM4/27/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
I would add to this that the general thought was that the main wherecamp event would be on the Friday, with the possibility of other activities like mapping parties etc on the Saturday. Based on previous events we have had a lot more people show up on Friday than Saturday.

Andrei Taraschuk

Apr 27, 2012, 11:18:15 PM4/27/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
The date looks good - don't think there are any 'major' conflicts with other conferences.

Chris Anderson-Tarver

May 7, 2012, 1:15:50 PM5/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
hello everyone!  Just a quick follow up from our meeting at wynkoop.  Does anyone know if Rafael Moreno is on sabbatical or otherwise busy these days?  I sent an email to him right after our meetup (asking about unconference space) but havn't heard a peep.
thanks
chris

For more information, visit the WhereCamp5280 group at
http://groups.google.com/group/wherecamp5280?hl=en

Chris Helm

May 7, 2012, 1:20:45 PM5/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Raphael is on sabbatical for at least this semester and summer as far as I know.
--
{ 'type': 'Developer',
  'id': '1',

Ariann Nassel

May 7, 2012, 1:49:41 PM5/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Yes, he is on Sabbatical. What do you need?
- Ariann

Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 11:15:50 -0600
Subject: Re: [WhereCamp5280] Re: WhereCamp5280 2012 is in the works!
From: prairi...@gmail.com
To: wherec...@googlegroups.com

Peter Batty

May 7, 2012, 1:55:26 PM5/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com, Ariann Nassel
Do we have other contacts there? Ariann helped out getting space for State of the Map, I've copied her. We need to get the venue confirmed asap if we're going to do July I think, just so we have time to get some sponsors lined up.

Ariann Nassel

May 7, 2012, 2:12:10 PM5/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com, Mike Hinke
I suggest talking to Mike Hinke. He is over there. I am cc'ing him. I am still with the University but on the Medical Campus. Let me know how that goes then we can reach out to the EDGE Student Club....it will need to go through them anyway and Dr. Casey Anthony.

- Ariann

Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 11:55:26 -0600

Chris Helm

May 7, 2012, 2:25:06 PM5/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com, Mike Hinke
If Mike cant help I can get in touch with Sue Eddleman. The Geography admin about booking some rooms. Let me know.

Chris

mike

May 7, 2012, 8:09:38 PM5/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com, Mike Hinke
Hello-

What do we need in terms of space, etc... at UCD? I was thinking we could make use of the Tivoli again.

Best,

Mike
Chris

[...]

Ariann Nassel

May 7, 2012, 9:17:33 PM5/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com, Mike Hinke
The Tivoli has pretty spotty internet connection and I believe there will be a charge,
I booked the large classroom on the NW corner of North Classroom. We then used regular classrooms as breakouts.
Everyone seemed to like it. I can see if I have that info.

Peter will it be similar to that year?

Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 17:09:38 -0700
From: michae...@gmail.com
To: wherec...@googlegroups.com
CC: mi...@gisdsr.com

Chris Anderson-Tarver

May 7, 2012, 9:23:36 PM5/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Also, while we are at it, I think I will defer to Peter on how many people we should expect as I don't remember the numbers we batted around at the planning meeting. I do remember that friday is much busier than saturday.
thanks
chris

Peter Batty

May 7, 2012, 9:26:35 PM5/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com, Mike Hinke
Hi Ariann, I would think something similar to what we did last time (in 2010) would be cool - a big classroom / lecture theater plus a couple of smaller breakout rooms.

Michael Hinke

May 7, 2012, 10:01:04 PM5/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com, Mike Hinke
I will talk to Sue and some other folks tomorrow. The lecture hall on the first floor of the North Classroom with some other classrooms sounds like a possibility. Best, Mike

Andrei Taraschuk

mike

May 8, 2012, 4:02:39 PM5/8/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Hello-

North Classroom 1535 at UCD has room for 120 people. This is the same room that was used in 2010. If I can figure out how to reserve rooms on this campus, and assuming the room is free (working on this)...should I reserve 1535 for Friday, July 20th from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.?

How many other classrooms should I try to set aside?

Best,

Mike

Chris Anderson-Tarver

May 8, 2012, 6:46:49 PM5/8/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
That sounds good! I think we will need somewhere around two more classrooms (anyone think more/less?).  Also what does saturday (the next day) look like?
chris

mike

May 24, 2012, 12:12:37 PM5/24/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning Everyone -

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone...it has been a bit hectic lately.

I've done some asking around, and I have come up with three 'things' to consider in regards to securing 1535 and couple of classrooms in North Classroom for Friday, July 20th and Saturday, July 21st:

1. We should be able to get the rooms without having to pay for them - see point #3 below
2. We won't be able to reserve the rooms until after the start of the summer semester (June 4th) - the folks that schedule the rooms need to make sure the rooms aren't occupied with classes. Note: sometimes professors request classroom changes early on in the semester. If we can't get 1535, and associated classrooms, I am guessing we should be able to get a similar lecture hall in the North Classroom.
3. What if we included the Geography student group in the planning of the un-conference? Some things to consider:
   - It would be great to include the students in this conference. I keep telling them how great the GIS community is here in the Denver area; I think it would be great if they
     could experience it first hand (via conference planning and attendance)
   - The GES club has a good track record of putting together get-togethers (career nights, panels, etc); I am not sure if they have experience putting on "(un) conferences" per se.

If working with the student group sounds like a good idea, let me know and I will contact the head of the group. I don't know, for sure, if the student group is interested in the putting on the conference this summer. My inquiries have been informal.

Thoughts?

All the best,

Mike
chris

Chris Helm

May 24, 2012, 12:18:25 PM5/24/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Mike this is great! I think we need to get an announcement out ASAP so we get on people's schedules and it sounds like things will work out even if we cant get 1535.

Also getting the GES club on board is a fabulous idea.

I say we update the website with dates and start spreading the word.

Chris

For more information, visit the WhereCamp5280 group at
http://groups.google.com/group/wherecamp5280?hl=en

Andrei Taraschuk

May 24, 2012, 12:28:06 PM5/24/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Mike,  awesome! I am 100% with Chris, let's roll with this.

Chris Helm

May 24, 2012, 12:31:57 PM5/24/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Andrei - Do you know who has access to http://www.wherecamp5280.org/ ? I'm guessing Peter.

Chris

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Andrei Taraschuk <andrei.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mike,  awesome! I am 100% with Chris, let's roll with this.

For more information, visit the WhereCamp5280 group at
http://groups.google.com/group/wherecamp5280?hl=en

Eric Wolf

May 24, 2012, 12:33:23 PM5/24/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
I own the domain and control the DNS. Several of us are owner/managers on Google Sites.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

Jason Sanford

May 24, 2012, 12:36:34 PM5/24/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, and I promised to work on the website. I made some headway and halted because of a crazy schedule. Things are starting to slow down a bit so I should have time to work on that very soon.

Eric I'll get with you about DNS details whenever we want to switch hosts.

Chris Helm

May 24, 2012, 12:36:42 PM5/24/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Well get on it already Eric!! :)

I expect an awesome parallax design up soon like this: http://2012.texasjavascript.com/

Eric Wolf

May 24, 2012, 1:36:41 PM5/24/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
<giggle> Did you look at the page source for: http://2012.texasjavascript.com/

Scroll down to see the Texas flag, the state of Texas and the lone star... ASCII art in code!

Michael Hinke

Jun 4, 2012, 11:44:48 AM6/4/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning-

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

The summer semester has started and I have begun the process of reserving the rooms for Where5280 on July 20 & 21. Are we still okay with North Classroom 1535 lecture hall and a couple of classrooms?

I would like to contact the GES student group today to help with planning. Sound good?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Mike

Ariann Nassel

Jun 4, 2012, 11:50:29 AM6/4/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
That room worked well last time. I think it should be good again.......

My vote would be to do it.

Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 09:44:48 -0600

Chris Anderson-Tarver

Jun 4, 2012, 11:58:57 AM6/4/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
hear hear!
thanks!
chris

Eric Wolf

Jun 4, 2012, 12:10:11 PM6/4/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like the two most important bits are squared away: when and where. It should be safe to start tweet/blog/posting about it more widely.

I'm going to refresh the Google Sites page until we get the fancier page done.

Michael Hinke

Jun 4, 2012, 2:31:56 PM6/4/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
There is a small hiccup in the scheduling process. I should have some answers by the end of the day today. Best, Mike

Peter Batty

Jun 5, 2012, 8:25:14 PM6/5/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I'm getting a bit concerned that we won't have much time to get sponsors as we're only 5 or 6 weeks away from the proposed date. Am wondering if we should consider putting it back to late summer?

Michael Hinke

Jun 6, 2012, 6:54:52 PM6/6/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Hello-

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone. I've learned a lot over the last couple of days.

Here is what I know so far...I am passing it all along for the sake of communication/even though some of us (not me) are probably familiar with the process:

1. I am on the waitlist to reserve NC 1535 - the folks at room reservations at the Auraria campus still have summer scheduling on hold for non-academic purposes; there is a shortage of classrooms due to construction on campus.
 - It looks like NC 1535 is booked on Friday, July 20th.
It is available Friday and Saturday, August 3rd/4th. This kind of gets to Peter's comment from earlier this morning
2. While I am on the waitlist to reserve the room, I am not actually authorized to reserve a room as yet. I am working on this as we speak
3. More than likely, the reservation for this conference will be made through the College of Architecture and Planning, or Geography...if so, it will be free for us.
4. If for some reason, we can't get the room for free via my standing in the University, then there are other ways to go about the process

--

5. As far as catering goes, we have some options (in no particular order):
 - We can have the event catered by preferred on-campus caterers

--

6. We can have a desk set-up in front of 1535, no problem. We will probably want to limit our presence in the hallway to keep the Fire Marshall/Facilities happy

--

Next steps:

1. I have e-mails in to get authorized to reserve rooms
2. I will call Facilities on Friday to see if "the room reservation moratorium" has expired

Also, I am happy to meet in Denver to talk about planning the conference. Let me know.

Comments, and ideas are appreciated.

Best,

Mike

Michael Hinke

Jun 7, 2012, 1:32:54 PM6/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
I am now authorized to reserve rooms. I will check Friday to see if Facilities is letting people reserve rooms.

What do we think about conference dates?

M.

Peter Batty

Jun 7, 2012, 1:48:52 PM6/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
I think the July date is too close personally, we won't be able to get much sponsorship in time, and it's getting close for out of town folks to make it. I think we need to restart discussion on dates - maybe we need to use either a Google spreadsheet or a Doodle or something to get a feel for what works for most people. I'm out for most of August - late August or September is better for me. Though obviously we're probably not going to get a date that works for 100% of folks.

Michael Hinke

Jun 7, 2012, 2:05:31 PM6/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
As far as room reservations go, I'll ask the people at facilities, when I talk to them tomorrow, about the possibility of reserving rooms at the start of the fall semester...see what it looks like logistically.

M.

Chris Helm

Jun 7, 2012, 2:17:31 PM6/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Peter - Is it worth at least putting a few feelers out there for some sponsors? What would the funding goal be?

Andrei - You led this effort, do you have any input?

I'd prefer to try to keep the dates as is and am optimist we can make it work.

Chris

Peter Batty

Jun 7, 2012, 4:07:38 PM6/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

We can potentially get by without much if any sponsorship, worst case.

We can get a box lunch from Einstein's for $9 (no drinks), drinks cost ~$1 per person, same for coffee. So if we assume that we have ~100 people, cost of catering lunch plus some drinks for the day is say $15 per person or around $1500.

In the worst case, if we had no sponsorship, we could either not cater and people just do their own thing at lunch, or we could use eventbrite and charge people $15 to attend (or whatever) - I can't imagine that would discourage too many people.

For the party in the evening, if we do it at my place I can throw a pretty good party for ~75 people for somewhere in between maybe $600 and $1000 (a lot of cost depending on what we do for food). Worst case if we did a keg of beer and a load of pizzas or something, we could probably do it for maybe $300. I'd sponsor the beer at least!

I'm not clear if we still have a room available on that original July 20th date?

So I'd be open to still going for it on that date, but we need to make a firm decision real soon (i'd say by tomorrow) if we want to do that, and get the word out.

Chris Helm

Jun 7, 2012, 4:20:10 PM6/7/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Peter - That sounds good. So let's wait to hear from Michael tomorrow on the rooms and then decide. I have another potential venue that might host but its not downtown.

I think that by July 1 we'd have plenty of sponsorship funds if we push hard. What sort of levels do we want to setup? Something like:

a. free attendance
b. $15 paid attendance (karma tickets)
c. $100 bronze sponsor
d. $500 silver sponsor
e. $1000 gold sponsor
f. $5000 full on swag sponsor :)

At the very least the conf is free. If we raise little to no money I'll chip in a hundred for party funds too.

Eric Wolf

Jun 8, 2012, 3:09:57 PM6/8/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Chris. Let's find out about the rooms. As long as we have a place, the rest will fall into place.

We talked about t-shirts too. I wonder if we should just put a design up on CafePress (or similar) and let people order their own.

Michael Hinke

Jun 8, 2012, 8:33:02 PM6/8/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Hello All -

We have a "place-holder" room at UCD. It is in Plaza Building M204. One potential problem:  the room only holds 112. On the good side (assuming space for 112 is sufficient), I think the space might be better for the conference. Please don't take my word for it....if anyone is near campus this week let me know, and we can walk there and check it out. Chris are your offices still downtown?

I asked, and it sounds like the internet is good in that building; they haven't heard any complaints.

They haven't opened up room reservations for North Classroom yet. I will call again on Monday afternoon, to see where things are for the North Classroom.

Have a great weekend! I'll be off/on e-mail all weekend.

Best,

Mike

Andrei Taraschuk

Jun 10, 2012, 10:43:50 AM6/10/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
All, I will reach out to some sponsors this week and will keep you posted on my progress. I have a feeling that we will be able raise a good amount.

Chris Helm

Jun 28, 2012, 1:07:53 PM6/28/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Hey all - I've been heads down coding for a few weeks and now of course some new travels plans for work have come up and I'll be our of town for WhereCamp5280 on the planned dates.

But then it occurred to me that nothing is really set in stone yet eh?

Mike - Whats the room status?  Are they booked, did I miss that?

Andrei - Sponsor status?

Curious.

Chris

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Andrei Taraschuk <andrei.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
All, I will reach out to some sponsors this week and will keep you posted on my progress. I have a feeling that we will be able raise a good amount.

For more information, visit the WhereCamp5280 group at
http://groups.google.com/group/wherecamp5280?hl=en

Peter Batty

Jun 28, 2012, 1:32:51 PM6/28/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
I know Andrei asked me a week or so ago if I had a sponsor writeup, but I've been traveling and haven't had a chance to track that down. I don't think we've publicized it much if at all. We're only 3 weeks or so away from the proposed date, I really am leaning towards postponing it maybe to September?

Michael Hinke

Jun 28, 2012, 1:35:01 PM6/28/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
We have a room, for sure. Wouldn't mind getting a bigger room, but we have a room. Postponing to mid-September (a couple of weeks after school starts) may make some sense. M.

Chris Helm

Jun 28, 2012, 1:41:45 PM6/28/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
I am of course partial to moving it now that I cant make the proposed dates ;)

Matthew Krusemark

Jun 28, 2012, 1:42:25 PM6/28/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
I am out for July, as well, but could dedicate time to helping out quite a bit if there is a September event.

-Matt K.

Jonathan Harahush

Jun 28, 2012, 4:30:32 PM6/28/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
The ESRI Southwest User Conference and GIS in the Rockies are both in September.  Obviously, I don't see a problem with WhereCamp being in September as well, but just wanted to point out the potential ESRI/GISITR schedule conflict.

Jonathan

Chris Helm

Jun 28, 2012, 4:41:01 PM6/28/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Is the ESRI thing in Denver?

Jonathan Harahush

Jun 28, 2012, 5:05:22 PM6/28/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, September 17-19 at the Colorado Convention Center.  (http://www.esri.com/events/southwest/index.html)

The only reason why I know is because I'm helping with GIS in the Rockies, and there is a discount available if you are attending both conferences.

Jonathan

Eric Wolf

Jun 28, 2012, 5:46:18 PM6/28/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
The tradition of WhereCamp is to "bookend" a commercial event, originally Where 2.0. It would be apropos to hold WhereCamp5280 on September 21/22 starting with SpatialIgnite on Friday the 21st and the meat of the WhereCamp on the 22nd.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

Eric Wolf

Jun 28, 2012, 5:47:21 PM6/28/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
And, unfortunately, the two top academic GIS conferences, AutoCarto & GIScience, are that same week in Columbus, OH. I'm already on the agenda at both events.

-Eric

Andrei Taraschuk

Jun 29, 2012, 11:26:32 AM6/29/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
I am in favor of moving to September / October.

Michael Hinke

Jun 29, 2012, 12:48:55 PM6/29/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
So, what does everyone think? September, October for Where5280? Anyone want to throw out possible dates? Without talking to the folks at Facilities, I would guess starting with the second or third week in September would be better (so they can solidify room reservations for classes).

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Andrei Taraschuk <andrei.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am in favor of moving to September / October.

Martijn van Exel

Jun 29, 2012, 1:13:45 PM6/29/12
to wherec...@googlegroups.com
Looking for Sep/Oct dates, also bear in mind that State Of The Map US
is going to be in Portland on Oct 13-15, back to back with WhereCamp
PDX and the NACIS conference.

Martijn
--
martijn van exel