What/Where/When/How/Who

ortelius

Apr 8, 2010, 2:13:48 PM4/8/10
to wherecamp-socal, Anselm Hook
Hi All,

I started this group to begin to coordinate a WhereCamp SoCal for
sometime this summer (2010). The key questions we have to get sorted
out ASAP are

1) What ... This is somewhat clear insofar as this is simply a
WhereCamp in SoCal, but I think that there may be *some* discussion
needed here.

2) Where ... Perhaps the key question. I realize that the LA
contingent rarely comes down to SD and we SD folks probably feel the
same about LA. Can we come up with something in the middle (god help
us in OC?) Or should we all decamp to the Inland Empire? Or can we
figure out some other place that is agreeable to all. I'm fairly
certain we can work out space at either UCSD or SDSU since many of us
San Diego peeps have connections to either/both. Anyone else have any
other ideas?

3) When ... Another key question ... can we just throw out some ideas
and get a consensus? I'll start ... mid-late august would work best
for me and most of July would be pretty hard since I will have a
newborn in the middle of July.

4) How ... Sponsors etc. Anyone have good ideas here? I have a few in
mind that could/should work, but lets open this up for discussion as
well.

5) Who ... Who is going to join me to take charge and make this
happen.

Anything else I missed ... 'why' is kind of a dumb question, so I will
leave that out.

Jeff

Jana Remy

Apr 8, 2010, 4:23:17 PM4/8/10
to wherecamp-socal
I'm in the OC, a grad student at UC Irvine Perhaps I can look into
getting some space at UCI for sessions? How many attendees are we
talking about?

~Jana Remy

Jeffrey Johnson

Apr 8, 2010, 4:24:54 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
No idea how many, but we should plan for at 200 even though it may be
far less than that.

Im also down to do some actual *camping* if we can find some place to
do that with some amenities nearby.

Jeff

Mano Marks

Apr 8, 2010, 4:50:18 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Depending on dates, I'm "up" for coming "down" to SoCal. Pref for LA or SD over Inland Empire, just for ease of travel and access to other cool things around. I went to UCSD, but I doubt History dept. contacts from 1992 would help.

Mano Marks
Geo Developer Advocate

Brendankp

Apr 8, 2010, 5:21:38 PM4/8/10
to wherecamp-socal
Wondering out loud but the ESRI geo conference happens in SD in June
or July every year, do we want to A.) piggyback on that? or B.) Avoid
it as much as possible?

On Apr 8, 1:50 pm, Mano Marks <mma...@google.com> wrote:
> Depending on dates, I'm "up" for coming "down" to SoCal. Pref for LA or SD
> over Inland Empire, just for ease of travel and access to other cool things
> around. I went to UCSD, but I doubt History dept. contacts from 1992 would
> help.
>
> Mano Marks
> Geo Developer Advocate
> Googlehttp://twitter.com/ManoMarks
>

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Jeffrey Johnson <ortel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > No idea how many, but we should plan for at 200 even though it may be
> > far less than that.
>
> > Im also down to do some actual *camping* if we can find some place to
> > do that with some amenities nearby.
>
> > Jeff

Jeffrey Johnson

Apr 8, 2010, 5:24:20 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
I considered that ... We *could* do it the weekend right after, but my
experience with the ESRI user conf is that everyone is pretty tuckered
out after drinking the koolaid all week.

Jeff

Mano Marks

Apr 8, 2010, 5:25:02 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
could be before.

Mano Marks
Geo Developer Advocate

Glennon

Apr 8, 2010, 5:30:05 PM4/8/10
to wherecamp-socal
Irvine or somewhere near the coast would be preferable, as late summer
heat can be unsavory inland. If venue planning gets complicated, I
have available facilities at UC Santa Barbara. For this first socal
wherecamp, however, Santa Barbara is probably a little far afield.

Alan Glennon
spatial@ucsb

On Apr 8, 1:50 pm, Mano Marks <mma...@google.com> wrote:
> Depending on dates, I'm "up" for coming "down" to SoCal. Pref for LA or SD
> over Inland Empire, just for ease of travel and access to other cool things
> around. I went to UCSD, but I doubt History dept. contacts from 1992 would
> help.
>
> Mano Marks
> Geo Developer Advocate
> Googlehttp://twitter.com/ManoMarks
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Jeffrey Johnson <ortel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > No idea how many, but we should plan for at 200 even though it may be
> > far less than that.
>
> > Im also down to do some actual *camping* if we can find some place to
> > do that with some amenities nearby.
>
> > Jeff

j03lar50n

Apr 8, 2010, 7:31:49 PM4/8/10
to wherecamp-socal, oso...@gmail.com, dewq...@gmail.com
my vote is for fall (as i respond to wildfires in the summer to make
maps) but whenever really, we definitely need this - - cool!

joe larson
http://gisbslo.ning.com
http://twitter.com/j03lar50n

Tim & Jen Craig

Apr 8, 2010, 8:59:45 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com, oso...@gmail.com, dewq...@gmail.com
Hi all.

History Mano? Wouldn't have guessed. Cool.

I am in San Diego, so prefer down here, but can deal with OC. Would
not like to get into LA.

Things get busy for us koolaide mixers before our UC, so would prefer
a few weeks after. But yes, depending on location it can start to get
hot in August.

If at one of the universities it would be great to squeeze in between
sessions if possible. More parking available.

FYI - I think ESRI is interested in sponsoring. I should know more
late tomorrow.

Thanks!
Tim

Tim (@SDBBQ) & Jen Craig (@JenCraig)
Like BBQ and Grilling? Check out: http://timcraig.blogspot.com/
More into Maps and GPS? - http://gis-stuff.blogspot.com/
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-ranch/

Jeffrey Johnson

Apr 8, 2010, 9:33:46 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
So, is UC-Irvine an agreeable location for many/most of us? If so,
once we get some dates that work, we can investigate. Looks like
between August 26th and September 20th is a good window to avoid
classes.

http://www.reg.uci.edu/calendars/quarterly/2010-2011/quarterly10-11.html

Jeff

Jana Remy

Apr 8, 2010, 9:47:00 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm....I'm not at all sure that I could coordinate a room for 200ppl at UCI.  When I initally offered, I was thinking of my dept conf room, which would be more on the scale of 25.  :(

Does anyone else have resources at UCI, or are we anticipating some major funding that we could use to reserve conf rooms?

~jana

Jana Bouck Remy
Andrew V. White Scholar, Schaeffer Fellow
PhD Candidate, Dept of History
University of California, Irvine
jana...@gmail.com
----------------
History Compass: historycompass.wordpress.com
Podcast: www.makinghistorypodcast.com
Soloblog: www.pilgrimsteps.com
Twitter: twitter.com/janaremy

Jeffrey Johnson

Apr 8, 2010, 9:51:29 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Im guessing we would be far smaller than 200 ... anyone know how many
were at wherecamp SF? And we dont necessarily need the whole room for
everyone. We usually break up into smaller groups for the sessions, so
need several classroom size spaces that hold 20-30 or whatever.

UCI is not the *only* choice, but it would be middle ground so to
speak. That said, if there are mostly SD people making this happen, we
could just thumb our noses at the LA peeps and do it here in SD.

Jeff

Barbara Hui

Apr 8, 2010, 11:20:56 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I asked how many people there were when I was at wherecamp and I think it was 230/240 on the 1st day (god my memory is bad). It was definitely 70 people on the 2nd. I'm guessing wherecamp-LA would be much smaller, like half?

I work at at UC-HRI (Humanities Research Institute) which is housed at UCI and has nice conference space. I could ask them about hosting (and even sponsoring) if people like Irvine as a location. Not sure what they'll think about a bunch of hackers invading, but I won't pose it that way, of course...

-Barbara
--
Barbara Hui, CPhil
UCLA Dept of Comparative Literature

Barbara Hui

Apr 8, 2010, 11:25:59 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Er, I meant "when I was at wherecamp SF". Also I'm not sure that we'd be able to actually camp at UC-HRI. Academics are just not used to the idea of barcamps/unconferences. What do you think, Jana? Other grad students? On the other hand, I'm all for bringing the camp culture to the university...

-Barbara

Jana Remy

Apr 8, 2010, 11:44:56 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
I've only been to one "camp" unconference and I don't know how typical it was (Barbara--your thoughts on THATCamp?).  If we could get the UCHRI space, it's lovely but not large.  There are various rooms in the Humanities that we could probably reserve, but probably not a simultaneous suite of rooms (for free).

As for camping...do you mean with tents?  Or couch-surfing?  Or just hanging out?  We might be able to get access to the grad-student pub for various events (esp off-hours) w/ very little cost.

~jana

Barbara Hui

Apr 8, 2010, 11:57:12 PM4/8/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, well THATCamp is actually quite a bit more formalized in some ways than your typical unconference, mainly in that they have people "apply" and pitch proposals beforehand, and limit the number of attendees, etc.. Also yeah, we're talking about camping with tents :-)

As far as rooms at HRI/UCI, I was thinking of the set-up for DAC10. That was all HRI except for the auditorium, right? Would we have to pay for that?

How many people would the pub hold? We'd mainly need one big space for meeting altogether once a day, and it could definitely be a big open(ish) space like that.

-Barbara

Jeffrey Johnson

Apr 22, 2010, 6:06:31 PM4/22/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Anyone come up with any more details re: UCI? Would like to get the
where/when nailed down ASAP.

Jeff

Mano Marks

Apr 22, 2010, 6:15:07 PM4/22/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
It would be great if someone put together a blog post announcing we've started organizing and the search for a site. It would help the search I think.

Mano Marks
Geo Developer Advocate

Tim & Jen Craig

Apr 22, 2010, 6:29:56 PM4/22/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
I'll pop out a quick blog post - maybe 3 people will see it...  =)

And I'll continue to Tweet about it.

http://gis-stuff.blogspot.com/

TC

Tim (@SDBBQ & @geoTC) & Jen Craig (@JenCraig)

Like BBQ and Grilling? Check out: http://timcraig.blogspot.com/
More into Maps and GPS? - http://gis-stuff.blogspot.com/
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-ranch/

Jeffrey Johnson

Apr 22, 2010, 6:43:34 PM4/22/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
If someone authors something, we can have anselm or someone else post it here.

http://blog.wherecamp.org/

I registered wherecampsocal.org and setup twitter.com/wherecampsocal
and will begin to get stuff going at both as time permits.

Jeff

Eric Wolf

Apr 22, 2010, 9:55:22 PM4/22/10
to wherecamp-socal
Book-ending the ESRI UC can be a positive - but it also has negatives.
Both WhereCampSF 2010 and WhereCamp5280 had ESRI as a top-level
sponsor. They might not be as generous that close to the UC. But you
also have 10000+ potential attendees. Note that ESRI always holds
their "Educational User Conference" or EdUC the weekend before the
main UC.

Another date to try to avoid is State of the Map-US in Atlanta, August
14-15: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_States/US_SOTM

We've been waffling a bit about WhereCamp5280 for 2010 because our
original dates clashed with SoTM. So we need to figure out new dates.

FYI: WhereCamp5280 last year had 73 people the first day about 25 the
second.

-Eric

Eric

Apr 26, 2010, 3:41:16 AM4/26/10
to wherecamp-socal
There's a pretty cool conference space with an outdoor balcony at the
Computer Science building at UCI we might be able to access, and also
my lab there which has several people doing geo-type work (including
myself). I'll check and see if it's a possibility.

Jeffrey Johnson

Apr 26, 2010, 11:01:27 AM4/26/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
UCI would be *great* we just need to get something worked out soon.
Let us know if this does work out and what the costs/details etc are
if so.

Jeff

Eric

Apr 30, 2010, 9:04:48 PM4/30/10
to wherecamp-socal
The UCI space is a definite possibility and would be free. We just
need someone to be responsible for any damages that would occur. I
also need to find a faculty sponsor that could commit to being around,
which I'm currently pursuing. Will keep you posted.

Eric

Jeffrey Johnson

Apr 30, 2010, 9:07:45 PM4/30/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Ok, Keep up the pursuit on that end, but it does look like we *will*
be able to work out the CALIT2 space at UCSD which has the giant
GeoWall (biggest one in the world).

Jeff

Eric

May 13, 2010, 2:35:02 PM5/13/10
to wherecamp-socal
I found a faculty sponsor for doing the event at the Bren ICS school
at UCI, so that's a definitely possibility if people are interested. I
don't want to get into a "mine's bigger than yours" competition, but
we also have a tiled display here at 200 Megapixels (in our Calit2
building), and I'm sure we could arrange a demo/playtime on that if we
wanted.

Eric

Alan Glennon

May 29, 2010, 1:46:46 PM5/29/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Has a decision been made on the WhereCamp SoCal venue and date?

Alan Glennon

Tim & Jen Craig

May 29, 2010, 3:39:27 PM5/29/10
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Alan -

Jeff & I are going on site this week to review a venue. If it looks good we will be set for July 17/18 at SDSU.

If not, we need to rethink the location - which would also mean pushing to a later date.

Hopefully the SDSU location works out! It sounds like it will, we just want to verify that we will have enough space for breakout sessions, etc.

Thanks for checking in!

Tim