outreach to local universities

Alan Glennon

Jun 27, 2013, 7:50:31 PM6/27/13
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Rhonda, Ming, or I have sent out invites to our contacts at:

UCSB, UCLA, CSU-Long Beach, SDSU, and University of Redlands.

If there are other schools/students/faculty that should be invited, invite them or let me know. I'd be happy to send them a note.

Alan

----example student invite-----

Scott,

Please forward this to any students or faculty at ------  that might be interested.

Kind regards,
Alan Glennon

WhereCampSoCal

If you are around this summer, consider attending WhereCampSoCal, July 12-13 (right after the Esri UC), at SDSU.

From http://www.wherecampsocal.org  :
WhereCampSoCal is a free, volunteer-run unconference on geography and geospatial technology. This year’s gathering will be held July 12th-13th, 2013, at San Diego State University's Department of Geography. It'll be a day and a half of discussion, networking, demos, and all manner of geospatial goodness.

This is a fun, participant-driven event that attracts a dynamic group of folks from academia, industry, government agencies and NGOs. All are welcome and you can come one day or both.

Evan Lue

Jun 27, 2013, 8:06:45 PM6/27/13
to whereca...@googlegroups.com, Jennifer Swift, John Wilson

Hi,

I'm doing my PhD at USC and I'm associated with its Spatial Sciences Institute (http://spatial.USC.edu). I'm copying Dr. John Wilson and Dr. Jennifer Swift at USC so that they may distribute this announcement appropriately.

See you in San Diego,
Evan

Alan Glennon

Jun 27, 2013, 8:23:46 PM6/27/13
to whereca...@googlegroups.com, Jennifer Swift, John Wilson
Many thanks, Evan!

Rhonda contacted Edward Pultar of USC and asked if he could come down and give a lightning talk about his geosensor startup.

Alan

Jana Remy

Jun 27, 2013, 8:31:04 PM6/27/13
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
I added the announcement to the DHSoCal site, which has followers from numerous local universities:

http://dhsocal.blogspot.com/

Best,
Jana

Alan Glennon

Jun 27, 2013, 8:39:00 PM6/27/13
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Jana,

Thanks. I've been working on an NEH project lately -- a main goal of
it is to offer humanities scholars guidance on how to make geographic
flow maps. Would love to have a discussion about it at WhereCamp.

Best,
Alan

Jana Remy

Jun 27, 2013, 9:41:31 PM6/27/13
to whereca...@googlegroups.com
Yes, definitely.  Would you also like to join in our next DHSoCal google hangout and share your ideas with our group?  We don't have a date set yet, but it will be in the next month or so.

~Jana

Alan Glennon

Jun 27, 2013, 10:19:36 PM6/27/13
to whereca...@googlegroups.com