Bikepacking share this Wednesday!

Robin Mitchell

Mar 23, 2024, 11:09:20 AMMar 23
to via Winchester Wheelmen
Just a reminder, the Bikepacking share will be this Wednesday 3/27 from 6-8pm at Blue Ridge Bicycles. If you plan on bringing a bike set up with bags to show and tell, please email me directly or text me with what you are planning on bringing.

Also, at this time I do not have a trailer set up to demonstrate and am not sure where the group owned bob trailer is located but would absolutely love to have it onsite for people to see. I can pick up if needed.

This is a casual event and opportunity to learn from each other. I would also like to add, there is a lot of new and innovative Bikepacking and hiking gear out there that is relevant and useful. If anyone has something they have found useful for traveling they’d like to share (a unique coffee mug, cooking setup, you name it), bring it!

Robin Mitchell

Robin,

This is a nice idea, and I plan to attend.

Also, you probably already know this, but I'll mention it just in case: The Club owns a Bob trailer. If you're planning to include bikepacking with a trailer, and you need one to exhibit, you can borrow the Club's.

Roger Kalin

Inline image

On Friday, March 8, 2024 at 05:48:27 PM EST, 'Robi

Robert Morris

Mar 23, 2024, 2:17:43 PMMar 23
to whee...@googlegroups.com
I’ll be there.

Robert Morris

Roger Kalin

Mar 23, 2024, 4:10:37 PMMar 23
to whee...@googlegroups.com
Robin,
I've located the Bob trailer and can pick it up and bring it to Blue Ridge Bicycles on Wednesday if you'd like.

Robin Mitchell

Mar 23, 2024, 6:52:41 PMMar 23
to whee...@googlegroups.com
That is much appreciated Roger, thank you!!!

Robin Mitchell

On Mar 23, 2024, at 4:10 PM, 'Roger Kalin' via Winchester Wheelmen <whee...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Robin,
I've located the Bob trailer and can pick it up and bring it to Blue Ridge Bicycles on Wednesday if you'd like.
On Sat, Mar 23, 2024 at 2:17 PM, Robert Morris
I’ll be there.

Robert Morris

On Sat, Mar 23, 2024 at 11:09 AM 'Robin Mitchell' via Winchester Wheelmen <whee...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Inline image.jpeg

On Friday, March 8, 2024 at 05:48:27 PM EST, 'Robi

<Inline image.jpeg>

Barbara Weber

Mar 23, 2024, 7:54:16 PMMar 23
to whee...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin,

I will be there with my equipment for show and tell.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2024 at 11:09 AM 'Robin Mitchell' via Winchester Wheelmen <whee...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Robert Golightly

Mar 26, 2024, 8:47:12 PMMar 26
to whee...@googlegroups.com
Good Evening,
Look forward to seeing all at the bike packing tomorrow evening. Just a reminder to bring a chair as we have limited seating.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 23, 2024, at 6:52 PM, 'Robin Mitchell' via Winchester Wheelmen <whee...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

George Wysor

Mar 29, 2024, 12:41:59 PMMar 29
to whee...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences last night. I came away with some tips that will be put to use in the coming weeks. Further, those of you camping in temperatures in the teens made me reconsider my whining about "freezing" in 60-degree weather in a hammock!

Quick note on the start of the GAP in Pittsburgh. In the past week, someone posted a question on a blog about the ease of finding the GAP start. Responses indicated that it still wasn't well marked, though construction in the area was complete. One person shared my experience of being saved by a good samaritan commuter cyclist to get through town. The consensus was, if you've done this before, it's a snap. If it's your first time, you'll need help. All agree that a few well-placed markers are needed. The responses were all submitted in the past week so I assume representative of the current state.

Here was one of the more helpful posts from a local:

Stand at the Terminus plaque embedded in the plaza between the fountain and the river.  Look at the fountain, and the Monongahela River is on your right.  Use the wide plaza along the river and head away from the point, always keeping the river on your right.

There's a newly opened dedicated path under the highway bridge that goes to the Monongahela River Wharf.  At the far end - eastern - end of the wharf (a parking lot under an interstate and at river level) is a switch back that takes you up to the Smithfield Street Bridge.

Turn right at the top of the switch-back, go 10 or 15 feet to a wide "shared" way that gently curves to the left and comes to an intersection with a traffic light.  At the light, look directly across the road and there is a trail.  Bear right on that trail once you cross the road and continue a couple miles to the Hot Metal Bridge.

Eazy Peazy.

Perhaps more thorough information exists elsewhere but figured it wouldn't hurt to share.

Best,
George