WW paceline ride - Berryville, VA

K Tenney

Apr 17, 2024, 8:40:02 PMApr 17
to Winchester Wheelmen

Starting each Thursday from now until mid-September.  (I was going to start this in May, but folks are itching for it…)

Distance: 29 miles

Elevation Gain: 800 ft.

Start Location: DG Cooley School,  Lower Campus, 34 Westwood Road, Berryville, VA 22611 - Google Maps

Start time: 6:00 PM as push time.  Prompt departure.

RWGPS: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29740009

There will be two distinct groups to start with:

  1. A+ group of experienced, fast riders.  If you haven’t done paceline, don’t try to ride in this group.  There is no ride leader.  Those who participate decide the pace, but it will be hard.  Have the RWGPS route logged or know the route should you separate.

  1. B to B+ group.  Reconnaissance ride for 18 & 25 Apr 2024.  Mostly to see the route, practice rotation, and explore what paceline riding is about.  If you are interested in doing this type of ride, but not sure, come out to test the waters.  Ken Tenney will be leading.  As drafting is ineffective below 14mph, I ask that you can execute a sustained pace for a ride in our local terrain at 15mph for 2hrs as a threshold for participation.  Paceline is the most fun when a group stays together.  That is the objective of this ride: combining the efforts of many to make a great experience for everyone participating.  There's really nothing quite like it in cycling!

This is at a school.  There is no WC on the grounds.  Please plan ahead.  I will be present at about 5:45 PM.  Hope to see others out there.  Please reply to this email or to me at 540 664 8435 by phone or text if you plan to attend or just have questions.  This is super-short notice, so if you can't come out this week, ping me for next week.

The ride will be posted as an event moving forward in the WW calendar.  Only club members may participate in this ride.

Thanks,

Ken Tenney

k_te...@verizion.net

Norman Michael Jr

Apr 17, 2024, 10:14:11 PMApr 17
to whee...@googlegroups.com
Hi,  I will do my best to attend. Norm Michael

Sent from my iPhone

Jason Waymire

Apr 18, 2024, 7:48:28 AMApr 18
to whee...@googlegroups.com
Glad to see the paceline starting. Barry, Keith, and myself will be there tonight.

Thanks,

Jason Waymire
Marathon Realty

On Apr 17, 2024, at 8:40 PM, 'K Tenney' via Winchester Wheelmen <whee...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

George Wysor

Apr 18, 2024, 9:17:26 AMApr 18
to whee...@googlegroups.com
Ken,

Thank you so much for crafting a weekly event that targets improvement in both fitness and skills. I look forward to joining your ride after pesky wedding season passes.

Best,
George

Kevin Williams

Apr 18, 2024, 9:35:25 AMApr 18
to whee...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

I will be riding tonight! Thank you for organizing it earlier in the season. Much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Kevin Williams

K Tenney

Apr 25, 2024, 2:38:22 PMApr 25
to Winchester Wheelmen
Reminder that this ride continues tonight.  I should clarify a bit.  If turning out for the slower ride, the target is to ride about 18mph for the loop.  In the draft, this is possible if you can ride about 15mph by yourself in the loop.

The weather isn't great for a ride tonight, but we'll take it as it goes.

Thanks,

Ken Tenney