No monthly meeting tonight, and next steps in re-imagining the group

SeanB

Dec 5, 2011, 9:59:59 AM12/5/11
to Whatcom Python Users Group
The response to the previous thread on broadening our focus has been
very positive, and this seems like the right general direction to go,
both for connecting with more of the programming community here in
Bellingham, and for encouraging greater participation and interest.

The next steps seem to be:
* sharpening this new concept
* engaging a broader set of people who will facilitate the meetings
* developing a more specific plan of action

I think a lot of previous practices are now on the table for
discussion and change, including
* the name (not just Python any more)
* the schedule and venue (previously 1st Mondays at Logos)
* the format and content

I think the best way forward is further discussion among those who are
willing and able to help direct this re-imagined group. I think it
might take at least 5 people to provide enough energy and make sure no
one individual is carrying too much of the load. As one of the last
facilitators standing of the previous group, i'm willing to both help
coordinate the transition and participate in leading the new group,
though i want to be one among many.

If you're willing to help give direction to this new group (planning,
helping to organize meetings, and occasionally presenting), please
_register that interest_ in a post on this thread, or send me an
email. I don't think another meeting is the best way to do what needs
to happen next, and tonight is probably too soon for that anyway, so
_there will be no monthly meeting tonight_.

Sean

Peter Rust

Dec 5, 2011, 4:07:55 PM12/5/11
to whatcom...@googlegroups.com

> If you're willing to help give direction to this new group

> (planning, helping to organize meetings, and occasionally presenting),

> please _register that interest_ in a post on this thread

Yes, I am interested in being on the leadership team of the new group.

Adrian, do you know any of the people at B’ham Ruby? Do you know if any of them might be a good fit for helping lead the new group?

-- peter

Adrian Klaver

Dec 5, 2011, 6:52:12 PM12/5/11
On 12/05/2011 01:07 PM, Peter Rust wrote:
> > If you're willing to help give direction to this new group
>
> > (planning, helping to organize meetings, and occasionally presenting),
>
> > please _register that interest_ in a post on this thread
>
> Yes, I am interested in being on the leadership team of the new group.
>
> Adrian, do you know any of the people at B�ham Ruby
> <http://bhamruby.org/people>? Do you know if any of them might be a good

> fit for helping lead the new group?

Yes, James Mason. He has been trying to get me use Ruby for some time
now. I will drop him a line and see what he thinks.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian...@gmail.com

Michael Titus

Dec 5, 2011, 10:18:42 PM12/5/11
to whatcom...@googlegroups.com
This afternoon I spoke with one B'ham ruby member, Adrian Pike. He is
interested in the idea. The challenge will be to coordinate
communication between the two groups: B'ham Ruby doesn't have an email
list, just IRC. They meet the first Thursday of each month at 5:30pm,
usually at the BIG Idea Lab downtown. This somewhat conflicts with the
monthly BLUG meetings at BTC, which begin at 7pm.

Mike

On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 15:52 -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 01:07 PM, Peter Rust wrote:
> > > If you're willing to help give direction to this new group
> >
> > > (planning, helping to organize meetings, and occasionally presenting),
> >
> > > please _register that interest_ in a post on this thread
> >
> > Yes, I am interested in being on the leadership team of the new group.
> >

> > Adrian, do you know any of the people at B’ham Ruby

> > <http://bhamruby.org/people>? Do you know if any of them might be a good
> > fit for helping lead the new group?
>
> Yes, James Mason. He has been trying to get me use Ruby for some time
> now. I will drop him a line and see what he thinks.
>

> > -- peter
>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian...@gmail.com