API Question

Steve Cerruti

Oct 14, 2009, 7:41:19 PM10/14/09
to What The Trend API
I am playing around with using What the Trend? for trend definitions
at http://dabr.otabi.com. dabr is a mobile twitter client found at
http://dabr.co.uk, this is my own personal copy that I am playing
with.

The Twitter API and other Twitter derivative trend APIs provide a
query string used to define the trend. Is that string simply the trend
name on What the Trend?

Ingo Muschenetz

Oct 14, 2009, 7:55:11 PM10/14/09
to What The Trend API
The query string from Twitter may consist of one or more strings (i.e.
Michael Jackson AND Michael Jackson's) to make a search easier. We use
the _name_ of the trend as it appears in Twitter. When you use the
What the Trend? API to get a trend by name, just use the trend name as
it comes from Twitter, but URL-encode it:

i.e., a hashtag would be %23followfriday or spaces would be
Word1%20Word2.

Hope that helps,
Ingo

On Oct 14, 4:41 pm, Steve Cerruti <scerr...@otabi.com> wrote:
> I am playing around with using What the Trend? for trend definitions
> athttp://dabr.otabi.com. dabr is a mobile twitter client found athttp://dabr.co.uk, this is my own personal copy that I am playing

Stephen Cerruti

Oct 14, 2009, 7:57:29 PM10/14/09
to what-the-...@googlegroups.com
I was unclear. I am hoping not to have to call Twitter, as such I was hoping that you would provide an equivalent query string for me to use for search. But, does this mean that there is not a one-to-one correlation between Twitter trends and What the Trend?

Ingo Muschenetz

Oct 15, 2009, 4:13:02 PM10/15/09
to What The Trend API
No, the correlation is exact, but the Twitter JSON includes a term and
a search term:

http://api.whatthetrend.com/api

details a method with the top 10 trends, as defined by Twitter, with
description. That includes a "query string" parameter, same as what
twitter includes.

If you query an individual term:

http://api.whatthetrend.com/api/trend/getByName/%23followfriday/json

It does not include that same query string, but it can be added. Would
that be helpful?

Cheers,
Ingo