RE: Please help me understand my lineage.

Message has been deleted

Don Womack

Apr 10, 2013, 1:13:33 PM4/10/13
to wgn-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Victor. I don't have anything on your father. If you can come up with
at least one generation behind him, i.e., his father or grandfather, we
should be able to find something. I have some info on N.C. Womack's but
nothing that late.
Don
dfwo...@charter.net

Jun 28, 2013, 12:01:20 PM6/28/13
to wgn-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Victor  my name is Richard Cloud 1st start would be to find out who your dads parents are.
there are some good free Web . if you know his place of birth
I'll get you the name of the one that helped me the most.  http://www.genealogy.com/
To post is free it only cost if you look at someone family tree. don't take short cuts take your time
if you need help drop me aline

Jun 28, 2013, 5:05:39 PM6/28/13
to wgn-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Victor.  My name is Don Womack.  Richard is right about genealogy.com  They have a good genealogy forum and you can also access family trees there.  There are a few free family tree sites out there but far and away is ancestry.com.  They do have a charge of about $60 for the basic information but if you’re serious about finding your family heritage, this is the place for the basics.  They have family trees and a forum but, most importantly, they have census records.  Go to the state and area, type in info and the census record will tell you all that is in the family.  If you type in your gran’pa’s name and where he was born and where he lived in 1911, it should give you the link to that census.  You would be looking for the 1920 census and that will give his father’s name as head of household which you can then run backward in census records and maybe find a few trees that will give you more info.

Probably the best of the rest is rootsweb.com.  I found your gran’pa at http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=Search&includedb=&lang=en&ti=&surname=womack&stype=Exact&given=victor&bplace=north+carolina&byear=1911&brange=1&dplace=&dyear=&drange=0&mplace=&myear=&mrange=0&father=&mother=&spouse=&skipdb=&period=All&submit.x=Search

If the link does not work, place the curser over it, press the “control” button and left click.

It shows his father and mother and you can click the link for dad and it shows his entire family.  Whether it’s ancestry.com or roots web, remember the information is posted there by people and is sometimes wrong.  Unless there is documentation associated with that info, consider it only as a road map to begin your search and your own documentation.  ANY genealogical data is only as good as the documentation or family history.  Sometimes assumptions have to be made but there needs to be strong circumstantial evidence to support that assumption.

Good luck with your search.  You can find some free stuff out there but, again, if you’re serious, it will cost you a little money.

Don Womack

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/wgn-discuss.

William G. Bates

Jun 28, 2013, 6:42:34 PM6/28/13
to wgn-d...@googlegroups.com
Just for information.  Ancestry now owns RoodsWeb and when you do lookups on ancestry it will also search World Connect.  You can also go direct to RootsWeb.com (it will reroute to the new address) and use that separately if you like but that is where you need to go anyway to locate the family query pages.
Sparkgapper