#JuukanGorgeDestructionExtractivism and the #AustralianSettlerColonialImagination by #ArenaEditor #DanTout #ArenaQuarterly no. 4, #Dec2020 | #ThisWGARnews of #Tues15thDec2020 ft #JuukanGorge #JuukanGorgeDestruction #SettlerColonial

WGAR News

Dec 14, 2020, 2:55:06 PM12/14/20
to WGAR News Public Google Group

Lecturer in history and sociology @FedUniAustralia and an Arena Publications Editor

Extract of article in the Public Domain:
"In the days leading up to National Sorry Day and the opening of National Reconciliation Week in May 2020, the mining giant Rio Tinto destroyed two Juukan Gorge sites belonging to the Puutu Kunti Kurrama and Pinikura (PKKP) peoples. These sites were said to contain some of the earliest human expressions of symbolic meaning on the planet. They are the only known inland sites showing evidence of continual human occupation back into the last ice age, 46,000 years or more. ...

In summary, Australia’s First Nations peoples—as in the other settler colonies, including Trump’s United States and Bolsonaro’s Brazil, to which we might well add Trudeau’s Canada, though perhaps not now Ardern’s Aotearoa/New Zealand—once again find themselves ‘in the way’. Yet the contemporary coupling of the eliminationist cultural logics of settler colonialism and the extractive economic ones of neoliberal capitalism represents a clear and present danger not only to Indigenous peoples, whose lives and lands are directly in the path of these twinned and revivified forces of destruction, but also, now, to all of humanity."

Folks, The senate is proposing to release its report on the Juukan disaster on Wednesday

I think the following piece – see link -  by #DanTout

provides an exceptional analysis of what transpired, but also how it is a systemic and enduring legacy of settler colonialism

arena.org.au/juukan-gorge-destruction-extractivism-and-the-australian-settler-colonial-imagination/

I wonder if I might ask you to circulate amongst your networks, journalistic and other, All the best; Jon

Emeritus Professor Jon Altman School of Regulation and Global Governance (RegNet) College of Asia and the Pacific The Australian National University Canberra ACT Australia 2601 .. E jon.a...@anu.edu.au

Jon Altman
"Folks | I know I have written to many of you before, excuse my bombardment and please delete if of no interest. If you have already subscribed, many thanks indeed! I am making a concerted effort to promote the new Arena quarterly publication. The Arena project was established in Melbourne in 1963. It has had a long tradition of promoting progressive broad left ideas including on issues around sustainability, the looming climate crisis, urban/rural relations, conservation, resource depletion, de-consumption and the future of capitalism. In 2020 we reconfigured our publications program, combining Arena Magazine and Arena Journal into a quarterly Arena and simultaneously launching Arena Online published as an electronic weekly https://arena.org.au/category/arena-online/. (Please check out Arena Online.) The timing of the launch has had its challenges with the Covid pandemic and limitations on ability to distribute to bookshops, hence my sustained subscription drive efforts. I attach a complimentary PDF of Arena 3 Spring edition  to this email. [WGARnote: WGAR has not included the attachments in this WGARcompilation of Tu 15th Dec 2020 as we don't email attachments, for accessibility reasons]  At a time when the need for independent media and deep searching analysis could not be stronger, please have a look at this issue, and if you are in a position to do so, do take out a subscription https://arena.org.au/product-category/subscriptions/ .. If you like what you see, please let others know, feel free to forward the attached complimentary PDF to friends and colleagues. Or consider an Arena subscription as a gift to someone, we have a blockbuster Arena 4 Summer edition coming out before Christmas. All the very best Jon" Emeritus Professor Jon Altman School of Regulation and Global Governance (RegNet) College of Asia and the Pacific The Australian National University Canberra ACT Australia 2601 .. E jon.a...@anu.edu.au

#WGAREditorialComment: OverThePastManyYears TwitterAccounts have Asked WhetherOrNot #WGARnews is run by an #AboriginalPerson.. #TeamWGAR seek to clarify matters.. We have a #WGAREditorialTeam that has expanded to ninety-nine (99) members, - forty-nine (49) are active via phone and/or email or rarely in person, & fifty (50) are available via Twitter.. Altogether, half of our #WGAREditorialTeamMembers are #GrassRoots #Aboriginal and/or #TorresStraitIslander Persons.. The other half are #nonIndigenousPersons who have shown #StrongGrassRootsSolidarity with #AboriginalPeoplesRights.. Seventeen (17) of our #WGAREditorialTeamMembers are #CoreAndActive #WGARorganisers. This #CoreAndActive Team facilitate #GrassRootsAboriginalVoices & #Grassroots #VoicesInSolidarity with #AboriginalPeoplesRights via #WGARcompilations and/or Twitter several times a fortnight.. these #WGARenewsletters are posted on our #WGARnewsPublicGoogleGroup between six (6) and eight (8) times a fortnight.. Typically there is an average of seven (7) days a fortnight in which no #WGARcompilation is posted to our #WGARnewsPublicGoogleGroup.. groups.google.com/group/wgar-news
Our #WGAREditorialTeamMembers are located in Regional Rural villages or towns or cities or major cities acrossAustralia.. some travel from time to time (or even extensively) intrastate or interstate or overseas and some are located overseas.. #WGAREditorialTeam are diverse in background age ethnicity gender sexuality class ability... #WGAREdNote: Some of #WGAR's #CoreAndActive #WGARorganisers & Many (but not most) #WGAREditorialTeamMembers are #GrassRoots #AboriginalElders.. and some represent #GrassRootsOrgs led by #Elders