[WG-FI] Eballot Results for Implementation Profile

be...@kantarainitiative.org

Dec 18, 2019, 10:55:32 AM12/18/19
to wg...@kantarainitiative.org

Dear Federation Interoperability Work Group Members,

I am emailing you to announce that the eballot to reduce the duration of the Public Review and IPR Review for SAML 2.0 Implementation Profile has passed with success!

Wishing you all happy holidays and a happy new year! We look forward to working with you in 2020.

Sincerely,

The Kantara Staff

Kantara-10th-Anniv-Logo-Email

image003.jpg

Wessel, Keith

Dec 18, 2019, 11:01:05 AM12/18/19
to be...@kantarainitiative.org, wg...@kantarainitiative.org

Thanks very much, Bella. Colin, does this mean we can just make the changes proposed and update the published HTML version of the profile?

Keith

Colin Wallis Kantara

Dec 18, 2019, 11:24:25 AM12/18/19
to Wessel, Keith, wg...@kantarainitiative.org, Ruth Puente
Yes, more or less..
You should draft a definitive document and publish version 1.1. in Github following the format the Group used for v1.0 https://kantarainitiative.github.io/SAMLprofiles/fedinterop.html.

To be clear, we are publishing this additionally.

To keep consistent, I think Staff need to publish it here too..at least the HTML..after you are done:

Wherever we have instances of V1.0, I think it should have a notice or watermark on it 'Superceded by V1.1 December 2019'

OK?

Cheers

Wessel, Keith

Dec 19, 2019, 5:35:04 PM12/19/19
to wg...@kantarainitiative.org

That all makes sense, Colin.

All, can we have a volunteer to make these changes? Nick has already tagged the current release as V1.0 (thanks, Nick), but we probably still need to add the watermark Colin suggests.

Then, we only need to make the change to V1.1 and update the version number. If memory serves, the version at https://kantarainitiative.github.io/SAMLprofiles/fedinterop.html will be automatically regenerated courtesy of Reiner’s script running somewhere out there in Cyberspace. We’ll let the Kantara staff decide what the right thing is to do with the versions posted under https://docs.kantarainitiative.org/fi/. A static version of V1.0 is already there at the link Colin referenced. I assume, if we just update what’s in Github and let it regenerate the HTML version, Kantara staff can take it and run with it.

Any volunteers to do the Github part?

Thanks,

Keith

Walter Forbes Hoehn, Jr. (wassa)

Dec 19, 2019, 5:36:36 PM12/19/19
to Wessel, Keith, wg...@kantarainitiative.org
I’ll take care of it.

-WFH

On Dec 19, 2019, at 4:34 PM, Wessel, Keith <kwe...@illinois.edu> wrote:

That all makes sense, Colin.

All, can we have a volunteer to make these changes? Nick has already tagged the current release as V1.0 (thanks, Nick), but we probably still need to add the watermark Colin suggests.

Then, we only need to make the change to V1.1 and update the version number. If memory serves, the version athttps://kantarainitiative.github.io/SAMLprofiles/fedinterop.html will be automatically regenerated courtesy of Reiner’s script running somewhere out there in Cyberspace. We’ll let the Kantara staff decide what the right thing is to do with the versions posted under https://docs.kantarainitiative.org/fi/. A static version of V1.0 is already there at the link Colin referenced. I assume, if we just update what’s in Github and let it regenerate the HTML version, Kantara staff can take it and run with it.
<image001.jpg>

Wessel, Keith

Dec 19, 2019, 5:37:56 PM12/19/19
to Walter Forbes Hoehn, Jr. (wassa), wg...@kantarainitiative.org

Thank you, Sir.

Keith

Colin Wallis Kantara

Dec 19, 2019, 6:03:36 PM12/19/19
to Wessel, Keith, rai...@hoerbe.at, wg...@kantarainitiative.org
+10 from Staff Walter!

On point Rainer - we may be approaching you soon for your assistance...;-).

Cheers!

Walter Forbes Hoehn, Jr. (wassa)

Dec 20, 2019, 4:37:24 PM12/20/19
to Colin Wallis Kantara, wg...@kantarainitiative.org
Updates and questions:

1) I’ve updated the master branch to include the new version number (1.1) and the approved changes to IIP-ALG06.

2) With respect to the errata link, I know that we decided what to do, but I don’t recall seeing any proposed text. Am I misremembering? Should I come up with something to run by the group?

3) I created a placeholder errata page on the wiki (https://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/GI/SAML+V2.0+Implementation+Profile+for+Federation+Interoperability+-+Errata). It seems inappropriate to publish a confluence-specific URL into the spec. Could the Kantara staff create a long-lived URL that simply redirects to this confluence page?

4) I noticed that our eGovernment profile link has become broken. What is the most appropriate URL to use for referencing this document?

5) In regards to the published location for the implementation profile, are you suggesting Colin that we change https://docs.kantarainitiative.org/fi/rec-saml2-implementation-profile-for-fedinterop.html so that it now points to v1.1? We sort of screwed up before not versioning this link. I think maybe the best solution would be to re-publish the old document on a versioned link, published the new document on a versioned link, and have the old link not specifying a version redirect to the newest version. Thoughts?

-WFH

Colin Wallis Kantara

Dec 20, 2019, 5:39:52 PM12/20/19
to Walter Forbes Hoehn, Jr. (wassa), wg...@kantarainitiative.org
Lots to absorb there late on a Friday...
But for 2 and 3, the Errata page was the initial plan.
Then the plan changed to publishing a V1.1.
So I'm not sure the errata page needs to be populated.
At another time I could check back through the emails, but I'm pretty sure folks here will correctly recall the plan.

Regarding 5) I have to confer with Staff and LC Chair Andrew, but my initial thought is that your idea is probably the right way to go.

Cheers
Colin

Wessel, Keith

Dec 20, 2019, 5:51:15 PM12/20/19
to wg...@kantarainitiative.org

My memory matches with Colin; no need to put anything on the errata page regarding this correction. We did discuss adding a link to an errata page to the profile that would point to future corrections and updates/news, however. Is that what you were referring to, Walter? I can’t remember if we decided some text and a link in the intro to that was something we wanted to do. At this point, t hough, we wouldn’t need anything on that page afaik.

Colin Wallis Kantara

Dec 23, 2019, 10:27:01 AM12/23/19
to Wessel, Keith, wg...@kantarainitiative.org, Ruth Puente, Megan Cannon
Regarding 5), I have not yet conferred and not sure I need to because in reading this again (below), I think you are right.

<< I think maybe the best solution would be to re-publish the old document on a versioned link, published the new document on a versioned link, and have the old link not specifying a version redirect to the newest version. Thoughts?>>

The objective is to try and ensure that any copies of the old version out there, link to the new version (ideally with some message explaining), so you don't have the situation where folks are downloading and using the old version because they found a link to it on one or more repeated posts out there in cyberspace and do not know there is a revision published.

Cheers
Colin

Walter Forbes Hoehn, Jr. (wassa)

Dec 23, 2019, 10:41:46 AM12/23/19
to Wessel, Keith, wg...@kantarainitiative.org
Agreed. I had no intention of adding any actual content to the errata at this time. I just figured if we were going to create a link to the errata within v1.1 that the URL should be long lived and shouldn’t result in a 404, even on day one.

-WFH

Walter Forbes Hoehn, Jr. (wassa)

Dec 23, 2019, 10:43:51 AM12/23/19
to Colin Wallis Kantara, wg...@kantarainitiative.org

> On Dec 20, 2019, at 4:39 PM, Colin Wallis Kantara <co...@kantarainitiative.org> wrote:
>
> Lots to absorb there late on a Friday...
> But for 2 and 3, the Errata page was the initial plan.
> Then the plan changed to publishing a V1.1.
> So I'm not sure the errata page needs to be populated.

My understanding/recollection was that we did indeed want to make the changes by rev’ing to 1.1, but that we wanted to add a link to a blank errata page so that future errata would be easy to discover.

Colin Wallis Kantara

Dec 23, 2019, 11:48:18 AM12/23/19
to Walter Forbes Hoehn, Jr. (wassa), wg...@kantarainitiative.org

Walter Forbes Hoehn, Jr. (wassa)

Dec 23, 2019, 11:51:18 AM12/23/19
to Colin Wallis Kantara, wg...@kantarainitiative.org
Yes. I created a page under that:

My concern is that we might not want to publish URLs with a confluence-specific path into the spec.

-WFH

Colin Wallis Kantara

Dec 23, 2019, 11:56:26 AM12/23/19
to Walter Forbes Hoehn, Jr. (wassa), wg...@kantarainitiative.org
..so what I think you think you want is a URL from Kantara like this.. for that errata page, yes?

Walter Forbes Hoehn, Jr. (wassa)

Dec 23, 2019, 11:57:28 AM12/23/19
to Colin Wallis Kantara, wg...@kantarainitiative.org
Exactly, yes. Sorry if I was being unclear.

-WFH

Colin Wallis Kantara

Dec 23, 2019, 11:59:24 AM12/23/19
to Walter Forbes Hoehn, Jr. (wassa), wg...@kantarainitiative.org
No worries. Let me get Staff working on that.