Re: [WG-CloudIDSec] Thank you for signing the GPA for the Cloud Identity and Security Best Practices WG

Neil McEvoy

Feb 6, 2015, 6:36:17 AM2/6/15
to Oliver Maerz, wg-clo...@kantarainitiative.org, Salvatore D'Agostino

Hi guys

Actually I was just discussing with Sal that the group has been dormant for a while, but now may be time to re-start our efforts with a fresh agenda and schedule..

Polling the group to see appetite for this....??

Neil.

- IDaaS group agenda: Update

For refreshed agenda ideas I'd like to suggest incorporating some IDaaS specific materials into a 'G-Cloud for Europe' content campaign I am working on right now, as there are specific Identity requirements outlined in recent RFPs published by the EU for their pan-European Cloud plans and requirements.

Here is the start of this paper:

Specifically in the EU RFPs they ask for a number of requirements that are Identity related:

1. Secure Interoperable Authentication:

"All lots need some way of authentication. This can be by the public administration during service provision, or by the end user. Where authentication is involved, standard protocols need to be provided. In particular, the European cross-border interoperability framework provided by STORK and STORK 2.0 needs to be supported, the upcoming interoperability framework defined by the eIDAS Regulation, respectively."

"Where authentication is needed, standard protocols must be provided. The European eID interoperability framework provided by STORK and the eIDAS Regulation shall be supported. I.e., the provided service must allow holders of an European eID supported by STORK (a notified eID under the eIDAS Regulation, respectively) to use this eID to authenticate."

"The eIDAS Regulation (Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 July 2014 on electronic identification and trust services for electronic transactions in the internal market and repealing Directive 1999/93/EC) is to be considered. On the authentication process, the interoperability framework under article 12 of eIDAS is not yet defined. The bidders can take the STORK protocol (SAML 2.0, WebSSO) as working assumption."

2. Legislation-aware Cloud storage

Their ultimate goal is "legislation-aware" cloud services, incorporating digital archiving through identity, including to more cutting edge Personal Cloud areas that would suggest an opportunity for UMA. Ie. they want very granular controls over data access, including reporting alerts for unauthorized access, that is built into the Cloud services.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Oliver Maerz <oli...@kantarainitiative.org> wrote:
Hello Jim,

Thank you for your email. And yes, the group is active and the work group conference call is on the first Tuesday of the month (Time: 07:00 PT | 10:00 ET | 14:00 UTC). So the next call will be on February 3, 2015.  I am cc'ing Neil for confirmation.

Thanks,
Oliver

Feb 25, 2015, 9:50:28 PM2/25/15
to wg-clo...@kantarainitiative.org, Sal
Hi Neil
CloudID Sec came up on the Leadership Council call today which prompted me to respond to this.
Certainly there is lots of activity going on in Europe, what with eIDAS, G-Cloud and so on.
There also is a lot of competition for mind share as well.
And there are many more groups, listservs, and forums than there are active participants to fill them.
I guess it comes down to the degree of motivation folks have to put their time in, relative to all the other activities competing for that share of time.
The scope and scale of the effort is huge, and IMHO the effort involved to get significant attention will be considerable.
And the space is maturing quite well.
Cloud Service Providers are embracing standards on security, privacy, interoperability, portability and putting in connectors and APIs to make Identity in the cloud a reality.
I'm not sure I can add anything significant to the discussion and potential work items, given my own competing priorities, but that may change!
Given things have been quiet here, maybe the best course of action is to drop back to a Discussion Group for 2015, and re-evaluate if there is sufficient interest/work items to move back up to a Working Group in a year?
Cheers
Colin

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 11:36:14 +0000
From: neil....@cloudbestpractices.net

[...]