WfXML and OGC Services

cappelaere

Jan 18, 2008, 8:37:23 AM1/18/08
to WfXML
Philippe,

In our case, WfXML provides a unified interface to various OGC
services that can be implemented as a workflow (SPS, WPS...).

It is true that the client will have to get the descriptions of inputs/
outputs relevant to that workflow. But this is at least a more
consistent interface. The current alternative is to be familiar with
the individual OGC specifications and various methods and input/output
parameters. Not easy nor scalable.

The advantage of going back to the process definition stored in the
registry allows for versioning and improvement of interfaces/
profiles. The SpotImage SPS and the EO-1 SPS have different input/
output parameters that have been evolving over time. With this
approach, older definitions can get deprecated quickly (upload new
definition... disable old one... and eventually delete it)

This is simple and interoperable and avoid the re-invention of
specifications as services evolve or new services come online.

If this can be simplified further, now would be a good time to bring
this up and test it during OWS-5.

Let us know what you have in mind. I know that SpotImage was
exploring similar avenues. We will be presenting this approach to the
TC in St Louis as a unified interface to a Virtual SensorWeb Enabled
Data Node.

Regards,

Pat.