From the Journal of Niklaus Drucker

Kilsern

Mar 1, 2013, 7:39:13 PM3/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
the following is a recap of Suntzu's session 2, and a bit of fluff for my Gold Wizard's apprentice who is finally starting to get a personality.

Dear Mother,

I recently had a bit of nasty business involving a river troll and several mutated goblins. I'm not at all sure why we ever went looking for these creatures at all. I made the sound suggestion that we return to the inn, have some tea and biscuits, a good sleep and the morrow would always permit us time to report the lurking creature to the proper authorities. My sound reasoning was shot down by my companions. They really should see the logic of my superior intellect, but they do not.

Such has been my lot ever since my masters decided that I should, in their words: "we feel the world needs your, special skills, and that it would be good for you to experience life outside of the school walls". I still am baffled by this decision. I was, without a doubt, the best student to grace their halls in, well, perhaps forever. The cadre always seemed angered when I would point out the fallacies in their experiments, but really, while I can see the satisfaction in discovering an alchemical process for turning substances into gold-and no doubt, if it can be done, I would be the one to discover the means, the anger they showed when I illustrated to them the basic economic principal that if lead, for instance, could be transformed into gold, the value of said gold drops significantly, while the value of lead increases; however, not being as rare as gold, the increased value of lead would not compensate for the decreased value in gold and therefore, isn't the whole idea just a tad silly? I heard thru the grape vine, that the day after I left, there was a party held at the University. Odd. Very odd indeed.

I did, against my better judgement, leave the university and have found myself in a perpetual state of danger ever since. This Old World League which the university assigned me to, seems to be loaded with individuals that have the annoying habit of attempting to put themselves in danger. This was quickly discovered on my first mission in which I was to deliver a bit of strange metal to a fellow alchemist and ended with a nasty business involving a daemon within an inn. I can only refer to that evening as the Night of Blood.

Now this latest business involving a river troll, a missing merchant, whose skin we later found as if the fellow stepped out of it like an unwanted suit, is no less dangerous than the first mission. I really must evaluate what I am doing with fellows such as this Adalbert, Haagan, and Lockgrund. Lockgrund, a dwarf runesmith, I understand the most. While I do not see the economical advantage of my order attempting to use Chamon to turn substances into gold, I do indeed respect and admire that glorious metal, and all forms of wealth. Dwarves, from what I've read of them, like amassing piles of coin and treasure. This I agree with. Piles of treasure would allow me to build myself a nice manor somewhere close to Altdorf, fill it with lots of wonderful books to read and of course provide me with lots of tea and biscuits and perhaps several different flavors of honey. Of course Mother, I would move you to this wonderful manor when built.

What I do not understand are the harsh words and looks I get when I make the completely sane opinion that our time would be best served next to a warm fire, perusing a good book with lots of tea and biscuits for consumption, versus "hey, lets go find a TROLL!", I say, lets not. After all, while the odd case of someone dying from perhaps choking on a bit of overly dry biscuit while next to the warm fire does indeed happen, I challenge anyone to prove that death is not more likely to occur if one were to for-go the biscuit eating and tea consumption and instead go out upon the river seeking a river troll.

However, this seems to be the lot in life I have for now. I bet the rest of this group won't even allow me the mere few weeks it would take me to properly inspect, read and catalogue all the wonderful scrolls, books and other assorted documents that this town's scribe is in possession of. No doubt, they would rather go discover why and how the missing merchant shed his skin like a snake.

With Love,
Your Adoring Son

Rob Heath

Mar 1, 2013, 8:31:26 PM3/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
That was a great recap you did miss out the fun part where your spell failed and you overbalanced the boat causing lokgrund to fall out and almost drown which had me rolling around in fits of laughter

Rob

Sent from my iPad

Kilsern

Mar 4, 2013, 2:19:01 PM3/4/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mother,

It would seem the danger continues even when the sensible action of staying in a well lit comfortable coaching inn to consume tea and biscuits is selected.

Leaving Garrisen, Adelbert and I were joined by a new companion, an ogre named Gorkun. Do not worry Mother, as long as the large fellow is fed regular, he seems perfectly content to smash things other than myself and companions. Hagen went elsewhere, and Lockgrund returned to his Karak for training. Our goal was to seek out the missing merchant/changeling and to escort the young girl from our previous venture to safety. We were hoping for a reward by doing so.

I should digress and mention that while I was not permitted the mere weeks to properly catalogue the scribes library, I did come across an interesting tidbit. It seems there is a creature of the Grandfather of disease that has the ability to change skins.

Arriving at the coaching inn we saw a retinue leave their coach and as the coach drew away, a small chest fell from it. Examining it, we found it full of valuables to include a glass dragon. Returning it and its contents to its rightful owner granted us a reward of one gold coin each.

Acquiring room and board for the evening we found the inn busy to the extreme. All was well until one of the retinue previously mentioned was struck dead via a tiny poison dart. The arrival of a lady Marshal warned us that she was seeking an assassin who seemed to be staying amongst us.

The evening continued with death. During the middle of the night, the dead member of the retinue came back as some sort of ghoul. Gorkun discovered him first. Adelbert and I were safely tucked into bed; however, against my better judgement, we went downstairs to investigate the ruckus. I successfully assed the situation and allowed Gorkun and Adelbert to treat with the ghoul.

The following morning Adelbert discovered a halfling character of disreputable station was found dead. Then the duo deaths of two lovers was discovered proving that the assassin had been busy.

Following a bit of gossip granted to me, we suspected that a young noble girl was involved. It was no large feat to convince Gorkun that he should approach her guards in a menacing manner. I know you disapprove of lies Mother, but I confess to telling the brute a small lie involving consumed free food and contrived insults.

Our hunch played out incorrectly and the nobless was murdered before our eyes. A short pursuit allowed the assassin to be surrounded. Luckily for me, the strenuous activity of the evening and morning caused me to lag back a bit. I say lucky, for while the villian fell to us, it turned out to be the nurglish changeling. Before dying, he infected both Adelbert and Gorkun with disease.

Do not worry mother, my successful assessment of the situation kept me out of danger, although I do admit a small sense of satisfaction at wounding the creature with a petty spell.

I do not know my next venture; however I do know that for now, I shall steer clear of my infected companions. I did send word to the runesmith Lockgrund that our fellow Old World League companions may need some help without the benefit of my company.

Your Adoring Son,
Niklaus.

Rob Heath

Mar 4, 2013, 2:20:51 PM3/4/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
do you remember the song "hello mother , hello father"

Rob

Joseph Begay

Mar 5, 2013, 1:32:13 AM3/5/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
If only 'alligators in the lake' was our biggest worry. Some guys have
all the luck. :)

Joe.

Kilsern

Mar 7, 2013, 5:20:07 PM3/7/13