Trouble importing weather data from GSOD and GHCN sites in Texas

LForbes

Dec 31, 2015, 5:13:14 PM12/31/15
to Wetbud Plus Technical Support
I'm trying to set up a project for Texas. There are GSOD and GHCN sites nearby, but the GSOD automatic download does not actually download the data and the manual import of data has also proven to be very difficult (impossible so far). I've worked with such data before numerous times within Excel and I am able to manually import the data into an Excel spreadsheet, but I have not been able to get the data imported into Wetbud. Any additional guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Zach

Jan 1, 2016, 6:11:17 AM1/1/16
to Wetbud Plus Technical Support
a) automatic import
A lot of GSOD (and GHCN) stations dont have actually have any data. When a GSOD station record is created, the available range at the time is also imported. That can also be seen in on of the columns in the list of stations
After downloading data, you should click on "Import data" to actually import the data into the database.
Please provide station names and I can send detailed steps with screen shots.

b) manual import (GSOD data). The format is very simple. Data should be in two columns:
Date, Precipitation (inches).
Precipitation data are usually available on a daily basis
Select the station from the panel on the left, and then click on "Import Daily precipitation Data" in the "Import from Excel" Tab

Zach

Jan 17, 2016, 6:12:38 PM1/17/16
to Wetbud Plus Technical Support
Further to my response above, we just discovered that there was a bug in the importing feature for GHCN sites. When a station had missing dates, the importing procedure did not import any data. Wetbud has been updated to reflect this fix.

Lee Forbes

Jan 17, 2016, 10:51:58 PM1/17/16
to Zach, Wetbud Plus Technical Support

Zach,

Many thanks to you for looking into this and fixing the bug.

Lee W. Forbes, PE, D.WRE

Senior Stream Restoration Engineer

SWCA Environmental Consultants

Houston/Louisiana