RE: [WetbudPlus] Functionality for Wisconsin?

Agioutantis, Zach

Aug 12, 2020, 1:21:59 PM8/12/20
to KyleWER, Wetbud Plus Technical Support

Kyle

Wetbud currently does not have any preloaded stations for Wisconsin. However, you can download NOAA stations and their data and use those for your project.

The easiest way to that is to use the online help function.  Navigate to Parameters -> Station Data GSOD (NOAA) and then press F1 and then follow the online help instructions

Zach

Aug 14, 2020, 6:20:04 AM8/14/20
to Agioutantis, Zach, KyleWER, Wetbud Plus Technical Support
Hi Kyle,

Creating a 30 year continuous weather data set is often one of the most challenging aspects of developing a wetland water budget. While Wetbud has all of the tools for you to import data from NOAA, NOAA's data sets often have gaps or nonsensical values. It is the user's responsibility to ensure the data is continuous and does not contain erroneous values (i.e. max temps of 999 or unreported precipitation). Equipment breaks, weather stations get moved, service periods vary, etc. Some NOAA stations shut down on the weekends, don't ask me why - but we have seen it.

All that being said, I suggest you start with the nearest major airport. Many regional airports have good data sets, too. Use the tools in Wetbud to import data for several nearby stations and work on filling in the gaps. I find it easier to export data sets to Excel, fill in the gaps, and then import a continuous data set. As Zach mentioned, the new context sensitive help feature, accessed by pressing F1 on any screen in Wetbud, will prove to be very useful throughout this process.

WSSI (the company that funded Wetbud, who I now work for) has been developing weather stations for the eastern U.S. If you find creating your own station to be too burdensome, we would be happy to prepare a proposal to develop a weather station for you. Please contact me directly at sst...@wetlands.com if you are interested.

Stephen

--
Stephen Stone, MS GIT
Geology-Hydrology Technician