WetBud and atmospheric maintenance

Marc

Jun 20, 2022, 3:55:48 PM6/20/22
to Wetbud Plus Technical Support

We are researching a topic that I was hoping the group might be familiar with.  The new proposed EPA/Corps 401 rules indicate that wetland loss and its subsequent effect on climate change may be a new metric that will need to be accounted for in the 401 WQC process.  EPA has “atmospheric maintenance” as one of the functions of a wetland.  As such have you ever heard of any tools that could be used to assess the loss of a wetland or the impact of a wetland on atmospheric maintenance?  I have found lots of information going the other way (i.e. climate change effects on wetlands) but not wetland impacts affecting climate.

 The most relevant paper I found was a NC State publication “Method to Assess Climate Change Impacts on Hydrologic Boundaries of Individual Wetlands,”  M. J. Vepraskas, et. al.  It is pretty good, but I am not sure the metric is bidirectional.  It uses DRAINMOD as its primary computational model.

 It would be an interesting use for WetBud.  Perhaps the PET could serve as the water conservation metric.  The less in the atmosphere the less localized warming.  Perhaps the other way around would be better?  To be honest I am not sure.

 I would appreciate any insight the group might have on this.

 Thanks,  Marc