Plan for Algae Electroporation next week

Cameron Clarke

Jun 26, 2015, 2:54:50 PM6/26/15
to wet-lab-san-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,
KD, Christopher (pls confirm), and Warren are planning on coming in to do the first electroporation on Saturday July 4 or Sunday July 5th.   I know everyone might be a little busy but this shouldn't take long so please join if you can.  I think we need some reagents (sorbitol etc), so we need to figure that out and order. I'm guessing that we need 5-9 days to get the Nannos into log phase. I have a cell counter and we need 10-30M cells/ml. I'll start with a 5% innoculation and we can start cell counting a few days before.  We'll try 3 different batches for 5,6, and 7 days to test different points in log phase. I'll handle growing the algae this weekend.  We'll need to make Hyg plates and plan out the experiment which we can do on Wed. We should also test 50 mg/ml on Nanno Oceanica on Wed (we already tried it on Nanno Occulata).

 Let's use this thread for planning. FYI, the protocol and paper for our plan is under The Algae Engineering category here on Google Groups.

FYI, I'm worried about the salt during electroporation. Nanno grows in both saltwater and freshwater. I'd like to just use freshwater for now, but would like to discuss this. Not sure why he used saltwater.Maybe we don't need the sorbitol if we use freshwater??? Can someone do a little research?

Finally, I posted a few other docs about cell counting etc for folks to review.
Thanks
Cameron