My faulty memory and "that cute little paper"

mar...@reality.com

Oct 25, 2019, 12:48:11 PM10/25/19
to westside...@googlegroups.com

Ok, my memory gets a little moth-eaten after a few decades. According to
the web (not always a reliable source, but in this instance likely better
than my unaided memory) I was conflating SASL with KRC, and the "cute
little paper" I was remembering was likely Turner's "The Semantic Elegance
of Applicative Languages" https://nsl.com/sasl/paraffins-turner.pdf
(hand-typed URL, please forgive any typos) -- although he wrote a fair
number of similarly short & pithy papers making similar points, so my
sphere of conflation may apply here as well.

It was great hanging out with y'all last night. Cheers!

-- M

--
Sent from PINE (GUI? Phooey!)

mar...@reality.com

Oct 25, 2019, 3:16:11 PM10/25/19
to westside...@googlegroups.com

> ...the "cute little paper" I was remembering was likely Turner's "The Semantic
> Elegance of Applicative Languages"

Although re-reading it over lunch I noticed a rather glaring error in his
dismissal of chiral parafins (pg 87). For example CH(CH3)(C2H5)(C3H7) (in
his notation [H, [H,H,H], [[H,H,H],H,H], [[[H,H],H,H],H,H,H]]) is chiral.

Still, a fun paper. :)

Matt Youell

Oct 25, 2019, 7:48:19 PM10/25/19
to westside...@googlegroups.com
I get a security warning from that site. Is there another source for the paper or should I just cross my fingers and download it anyway?

Tom Harke

Oct 25, 2019, 10:02:31 PM10/25/19
to westside...@googlegroups.com
Same warning here. If you google for the title you can find an alternate source.

Also, I fondly remember reading Turner's 4 page journal article on 'bracket abstraction'. I was most impressed by how direct it was, with no padding

mar...@reality.com

Oct 25, 2019, 11:32:54 PM10/25/19
to westside...@googlegroups.com

> I get a security warning from that site. Is there another source for the
> paper or should I just cross my fingers and download it anyway?

Hmmmm. Searching for the title I found a few paywalled sources. AFAIK,
nsl (No Stinking Loops) is fine, just not modern. And I'm not getting any
security warnings. What sort of warning are you getting, anyway?

Randy Dunlap

Oct 25, 2019, 11:45:06 PM10/25/19
to westside...@googlegroups.com
like this:

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to nsl.com. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

--
~Randy [KG7QHD]

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Oct 26, 2019, 12:42:59 AM10/26/19
to WestsideProggers
If you press the "Advanced" button you'll see the issue. I did; it's an expired certificate. Almost two years expired IIRC.

Borasky Research Journal https://www.znmeb.mobi

Markovs of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

mar...@reality.com

Oct 26, 2019, 3:13:36 PM10/26/19
to WestsideProggers

> If you press the "Advanced" button you'll see the issue. I did; it's an
> expired certificate. Almost two years expired IIRC.

Yeah, that's what I thought: it's just that it's old.

If I saw an expired certificate going to amazon.com with my credit card in
hand I'd be very concerned.

Going to a twenty year old web site that's maintained (occasionally) by a
couple of retired folks to fetch a forty year old paper, it's pretty much
expected.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Oct 26, 2019, 3:54:00 PM10/26/19
to WestsideProggers
Tell that to the guy who's getting billed $12 a month for a publication that went bankrupt. :-(

Tom Harke

Oct 28, 2019, 11:05:20 AM10/28/19
to westside...@googlegroups.com

Matt Youell

Oct 28, 2019, 11:51:51 AM10/28/19
to westside...@googlegroups.com
I hadn’t revisited yet. Thanks for that Tom!

Sent from my phone