What's in Bloom Now at Wellington Park!

Ann

May 29, 2024, 11:28:15 PMMay 29
to westnewtonn...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Friends and Neighbors!

Spring has finally burst forth, with so much in bloom!

Our park's beautiful plants and flowers are enjoyed not only by us but by the butterflies and other insects that depend on them. Already an American Lady butterfly has visited our garden, laid eggs on the Pussytoes, and the eggs have hatched into lovely young caterpillars (see below) that are contentedly feeding on their host plant. After about a week, once it's had its fill it will form a chrysalis and over the next week or two metamorphoses into a new American lady butterfly. Keep an eye out for the butterflies fluttering around in our gardens.

Do you like to garden, or want to learn? Volunteers are always needed to help tend the gardens throughout the year. No experience necessary. If you think you might like to join us, even only occasionally, please let us know by clicking here.

If you haven’t been to Wellington Park lately come visit and enjoy our park!

Warmly,
Ann & Bonnie
Wellington Park Gardening Committee

Bearded iris
IMG_0993.jpeg

Bearded Iris
IMG_0994.jpeg

Wine and Rose Weigela
IMG_0995.jpeg

Stella d’oro Daylily
IMG_0996.jpeg

Eastern red columbine/Aquilegia canadensis - Native
IMG_1001.jpeg

Wild Geranium/Geranium maculatum - Native
IMG_1003.jpeg

Catmint/Nepeta
IMG_1005.jpeg

American Lady caterpillar on host plant PussyToes/Antinnaria plantaginifolia - Native
IMG_1007.jpeg

Allium schubertii
IMG_1008.jpeg

Goldmoss Sedum
IMG_1009.jpeg

False Indigo/Baptisia - Native
IMG_1010.jpeg

Dianthus
IMG_1012.jpeg

Siberian Iris
IMG_1013.jpeg

Eastern Bluestar/Amsonia Tabernaemontana - Native
IMG_1016.jpeg

Stella d’oro daylily
IMG_1017.jpeg

Spotted dead nettle/Lamium
IMG_1018.jpeg

Columbine/Aquilegia
IMG_1021.jpeg

Blueberry flowers/Vaccinium corymbosum - Native
IMG_1022.jpeg

Blueberries/Vaccinium corymbosum - Native
IMG_1023.jpeg

White Clover/Trifolium ripens
IMG_1024.jpeg

White Clover/Trifolium ripens