Happenings around Newton

Ann

May 7, 2024, 9:52:47 PMMay 7
to westnewtonn...@googlegroups.com
Not everyone has signed up for the Mayor’s newsletter so I am forwarding this extensive list she just sent out of happenings around the city over the next few weeks.

Ann

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mayor Ruthanne Fuller <rfu...@newtonma.gov>
Subject: P.S.s Galore
Date: May 7, 2024 at 8:48:01 PM EDT

Tuesday, May 7, 2024
Mayor's Newton Update

There’s so much happening in Newton in the coming days and weeks that I’m sending out a special “PS Update” edition. I usually list these community events as P.S.s, but there would too many Ps – even for me – so I’m using a different numbering system this week(!).
P.S.#1 Take a peek at the preferred concept design and next steps for Newton Highland Village Enhancements at a virtual community meeting on Thursday, May 9. The goals include improving sidewalks and roadways with a focus on better accessibility and safety, providing improved community gathering spaces, and making the village center even more attractive and inviting with benches, art, lighting, historic markers and landscaping. Join the zoom at: https://newtonma-gov.zoom.us/j/82764879290?pwd=cXpTN0VkZ04zY29tb3F3MHRDSDZPQT09#success Passcode: 99298.
P.S.#2 Are We as a City Equitably, Inclusively and Respectfully Delivering Services? Over the past year we’ve been working with our consultant, The Racial Equity Group (REG), to conduct a baseline audit assessment with the greater Newton community. We want to hear from all of you. We have created a community survey where Newtonians can share experiences regarding access to city services and programs, quality of services and programs, and satisfaction when interacting with City staff while obtaining services. Help us by taking the survey by clicking here.
P.S.#3 Help support families in need of diapers by donating to Newton Neighbors' diaper drive through tomorrow, Wednesday, May 8. Sizes NB - 7 are accepted at two locations:
  • FamilyACCESS of Newton, 492 Waltham St, West Newton (Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
  • American Legion Nonantum Post 440, 295 California St, Nonantum (Seven days a week, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
  • Diapers can also be purchased from the Newton Neighbors Amazon Wish List at (https://tinyurl.com/nndiaperdrive2024). Diapers will be shipped directly to the collection point.
  • Does your family need diapers? Pick up free diapers at Family ACCESS of Newton or American Legion Nonantum Post 440 on Saturday, May 11 from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. No ID or registration is required.

P.S.#4 Break bread and build community at the 50th Annual Mayor’s Community Breakfast on Wednesday, May 22 from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. Our keynote speaker is our neighbor, Acting U.S. Attorney Joshua Levy, and we will honor four amazing people who are retiring: State Rep. Kay Khan, State Rep. Ruth Balser, Susan Paley of Village Bank and Karen Peirce, the City of Newton’s Director of Special Needs. Click here for more information and to buy tickets. All proceeds benefit Newton’s Harmony Foundation.
P.S.#5 Join us at Newton’s first Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month Celebration at Newton City Hall War Memorial, 1000 Commonwealth Ave. on Friday, May 10 from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. for an evening of dance, music, art, culture and AAPI empowerment.
P.S.#6 Dance the night away with the New Jewish Music All Starts at the 2nd Annual Newton Highlands Klezmer Dance celebrating Jewish Heritage Month on Saturday, May 11 from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. at the Hyde Community Center Bandstand, 90 Lincoln St., Newton Highlands. Don’t know the dances? No problem. Yiddish singer and songwriter Adah Hetko will be leading and teaching the steps. Click here for more information.
P.S.#7 Enjoy Japanese Taiko drumming, Mizrahi Jewish music, traditional Chinese papercutting, and international potluck and beautiful music by the young performers of the Suzuki Music School at the school’s Newton Multicultural Festival on Saturday, May 11. Festivities go from 2:00 p.m. through 6:00 p.m. at the Suzuki Music School, 1615 Beacon St., Waban.

P.S.#8 This year’s Sheila Mondshein Award for Outstanding Leadership in Promoting Fair Housing is going to two very deserving people who have worked for decades to open Newton’s doors wider. Join on Monday, May 13 us at Newton City Hall in the War Memorial, 1000 Comm Ave., from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. to celebrate awardees City Councilor Victoria Danberg and former City Councilor Deborah Crossley. The ceremony will also be on zoom at: https://newtonma-gov.zoom.us/j/83762750188?pwd=eWFKSE94bzVxZjM5U2krRUdKWXZ5Zz09#success
P.S.#9 We’re kicking off Bike Week in Newton with a “bike breakfast,” and officially cutting the ribbon on two-way biking along Commonwealth Avenue’s Carriage Road. Join us on Monday morning, May 13 from 8:00 to 9:30 a.m. at Beaumont Avenue and Commonwealth Carriage Road.
P.S.#10 Learn how to recognize a scam from members of Middlesex County Sherriff Peter Koutoujian’s Office on Thursday, May 16 from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Hyde Community Center, 90 Lincoln Street. This Newton Senior Center program will provide information on current scams in the area and tips to help you and others protect themselves. RSVP requested if possible. Please stop by the Front Desk at Brigham House, 20 Hartford Street, call 617-796-1675, or send your name, telephone number, and email address to our receptionists at seniorp...@newtonma.gov.

P.S.#11 A full day of entertainment and celebration at Family FunFEST at City Hall is on Saturday, May 18 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Festivities include live performances on the outdoor stage, a student art project, a public painting party, craft/vendor booths, the world premier of Pinocchio and the Golden Key by Commonwealth Lyric Theater, a carnival and more. Be sure to stop by the area where artist Howie Green is helping us create a community mural painting celebrating Newton's 150th birthday. Click here for more information and a full schedule of events.

P.S.#12 28,000 seedlings and 90-plus varieties of vegetables and herbs (and a limited number of flowers) will be on sale at the Newton Community Farm’s Annual Seedling Sale, Saturday and Sunday, May 18 and 19, from noon to 3:00 p.m. at the farm, 303 Nahanton St. Click here for more information.
P.S.#13 Get a peek inside remarkable historic properties across our City at Historic Newton’s annual Newton House Tour on Sunday, May 19 from noon to 5:00 p.m. This year’s self-guided tour will take visitors to six properties, including a tour of the Mary Baker Eddy House on Beacon Street. Click here for more information.
P.S.#14 Waban Village Day and Family Fun Run is Sunday, May 19. The 3 mile Fun Run for people of all ages (including kids riding bikes and scooters and walkers) kicks off at 10:00 a.m. with rides & amusements for youngsters, vendor tables, live music, food and ice cream from 11:00 – 2:30 p.m .in Waban Square (1608 Beacon Street). Click here for more info.
P.S.#15 Chefs across Newton are creating special vegan menu items through the month of May as part of the Newton Vegan Chef Challenge. Try a dish, and then vote, comment and/or post photos of your meal. Click here for more information and a list &map of participating restaurants.
P.S.#16 Enjoy for free ten live performances over three days on three different stages in Newtonville, West Newton and Newton Highlands at this year’s 9th Annual Linda Plaut Festival of the Arts on Friday, May 19 through Sunday, May 19. The free performances span genres of music from Bengali Pop to R&B, Opera to Jazz, and Classical to Reggae. Click here for more information and a full list of performers and schedule.
P.S.#17 Next Gen Voices, a student civics club at Newton North High School, is hosting Creative Minds. This art event will highlight the diverse voices of Newton Northand will include visual, performing, and written artwork. Stop by NNHS’s outdoor courtyard, 457 Walnut Street from 2:55 to 5:15 p.m. on Tuesday, May 21.

P.S.#18 An anonymous benefactor recently pledged $5.2 million to the West Newton Cinema Foundation’s Capital Campaign, sparking optimism that the grassroots effort to save the historic movie theater and transform it into a new cultural anchor for West Newton Square. Read the press release here, and learn more about the Foundation here.

P.S.#19 Bring a big appetite for our pancake birthday party for Newton’s 150th Birthday. Celebrate with maple syrup and Fire Chief Greg Gentile and Newton Firefighters on Sunday, June 2 from 10:00 a.m. to noon at Fire Headquarters, 1164 Centre St., Newton Centre. Enjoy plenty of family friendly fun including climbing fire trucks, testing your skills with a fire hose – and free pancakes.

P.S.#20  The Nonantum Neighborhood Association’s 13th Annual Village Dayis on Sunday, June 2 from 11:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Coletti-Magni Park on Watertown Street between Adams and Chapel Streets. The fun includes a Beatles tribute band, a rock climbing wall, face painting and activities for the whole family.
P.S.#21 Do you have questions about how to make your home more energy efficient? Curious about the cost of an EV charger or the return on investment on solar panels? Join the Sustainable Street Tour on Sunday, June 2 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. on Montclair Road, Waban. Experienced Newton residents and expert volunteers from the City of Newton’s Sustainability team will provide free, in-person consultations while you can see firsthand in-home EV charging set-ups and heat pumps.
P.S.#22 The Marty Sender Greenway, one of Newton’s few waterfront parks and an important section of the Blue Heron Trail located just off Commonwealth Avenue in Auburndale is getting an upgrade. Phase I improving 1,000 feet of the trail is complete, and crews are now installing pathways, a boardwalk and better flooding controls and restored wetlands along the trail near the Comm Ave entrance. Join us on the trail at the end of July to go along the Charles River all the way into Boston. Click on the video below to learn more.
P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.S. Go Celtics & Go Bruins

Warmly,

Ruthanne
Facebook  Twitter
Mayor Ruthanne Fuller | 1000 Commonwealth Avenue, Newton, MA 02459
Unsubscribe dorfm...@comcast.net
Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice
Sent by rfu...@newtonma.gov powered by
Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.