Re: [DDNA] Hillsborough Street and the Beltline

Betsy Kane

Aug 22, 2017, 9:15:01 AM8/22/17
to t...@newcitydesign.com, wi...@allenheuer.com, camer...@yahoogroups.com, cameron...@googlegroups.com, dd...@googlegroups.com, Glenwood South Neighborhood Collaborative, Hillsborough CAC listserv, Pulle...@yahoogroups.com, PULLENPARKN...@yahoogroups.com, pullenpa...@googlegroups.com, upha-di...@yahoogroups.com, westmorgann...@googlegroups.com, raleig...@googlegroups.com, BRCAl...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Murison, Will Gaskins, Milazzo II, Joe, Crowder, Kay
I say do it.  Great idea. Raleigh should run with it.

No, the assumptions of perpetually increasing traffic are not valid.  They are based on nearly complete speculation and many erroneous, out-of-date, and/or wildly inaccurate premises.

Disclosure:  I am a transportation planner with NCDOT (Bike-Ped Division).
 And I used to work in PDEA, the wing of NCDOT that develops and vets project plans like these all over the state.  Opinions expressed here are solely my own.
So: you could say I'm "in tight" with NCDOT, but I'm not the person to lobby on this for the external perspective.

Please note (since I criticized the traffic assumptions so vigorously above) that federal highway spending drives the format of proposed transportation improvements; it's not that NCDOT staff are somehow just fools for highways, but that the federal funding stream to state DOTs is directed almost exclusively to widening and building new roads.

Betsy Kane
University Park

On Monday, August 21, 2017, Ted Van Dyk <T...@newcitydesign.com> wrote:

All,

I saw a letter to the editor last week that suggested that we close the Hillsborough Street exits rather than eat 40 acres + of land to expand them.

I think this is well worth considering.  We have spent, between Phase 1 and 2, nearly 30 million on narrowing and slowing Hillsborough Street specifically to eliminate it as a through route and enhance bike and pedestrian friendliness.  Do we really need or want a beltline exchange on the street?  Think of the bike and pedestrian connections between Campus and the Fairgrounds, Carter Finley, PNC, etc. we could make if there were no beltline entries or exits on Hillsborough!

It this project goes forward as currently designed, it will be virtually impossible to cross there by bike or on foot- the opposite of what we want.

So consider: with Wade avenue and Western so close, and the extensive damage to Meredith College and the University Club shown on these maps, all for a bit more ease of traffic flow,  I think it is a serious question, and well worth asking.  This is land that we will never get back once it is under an interstate.

Looking back at the DOT report, this widening was originally designed in the 1990’s, and slated for the early 2000’s, but couldn’t find funding.

Maybe , just maybe, it is time to take a new look at the assumptions from the 90’s?  Are traffic assumptions still solid, given the advent of Uber, self driving cars, a re-urbanizing population, and declining per capita driving miles nationally?

And, crazy thought, could we bring the cost down? On a DOT project?

What think ye, YIMBY’s?  Anyone in tight with the DOT?

FYI, links to current plans are here:

·       Alternative Map 7a of 8: Hillsborough-Wade interchange (flyover)  (12 MB)

·       Alternative Map 7b of 8: Hillsborough-Wade interchange (two flyovers)  (12 MB)

·       Alternative Map 7c of 8: Hillsborough-Wade interchange (slight detour)  (12 MB)

Best,

TVD-signature-rezized

Ted Van Dyk, AIA

principal | new city design group

t: 919 831 1308 x 114   |   w: www.newcitydesign.com   |   e: t...@newcitydesign.com

Aug 30, 2017, 9:11:22 PM8/30/17
to t...@newcitydesign.com, Joel Rosch, Ph.D., Stuart Levin, Sig Hutchinson, wi...@allenheuer.com, camer...@yahoogroups.com, cameron...@googlegroups.com, dd...@googlegroups.com, Glenwood South Neighborhood Collaborative, Hillsborough CAC listserv, Pulle...@yahoogroups.com, PULLENPARKN...@yahoogroups.com, pullenpa...@googlegroups.com, upha-di...@yahoogroups.com, westmorgann...@googlegroups.com, raleig...@googlegroups.com, BRCAl...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Murison, Will Gaskins, Milazzo II, Joe, Crowder, Kay
I work for NCDOT. Its mission is not to make traffic flow.  Mobility is a priority, but that doesn't always equal vehicle throughput, and ere are many other official policies and considerations that NCDOT is mandated to take into account in the planning and design of its facilities.

Among the directives and policies at the highest levels of both NCDOT and the federal funding stream from which this project is delivered, are the principles of context-sensitive design, complete streets, and addressing community impacts.  Please know that every project must carry out these principles.

 Of course it's a partly subjective process -- both in the extent to which the community demands these principles be observed, and the extent to which all these considerations can physically be included -- in the planning and design of a project. My point is mainly to state that nobody should throw up their hands and become resigned to the idea that the project can only "make traffic flow." Community impacts MUST be taken into account.  This is mandated both by the terms of the federal funding arrangements, and it's also mandated at the highest levels of the state transportation agency by it's own adopted policies.

The most vocal, empowered, and insistent communities tend to get the best results out of the process and these policy requirements. The extent to which the local elected leadership is on board with being vocal, empowered, and insistent (alongside the citizens) matters a great deal. Raleigh is a major metropolitan area that is perfectly capable of taking this approach.  We can and should get a result out of this planning process that is strongly shaped by considerations of the impacts on the community.

Betsy Kane

On Wednesday, August 30, 2017, Ted Van Dyk <T...@newcitydesign.com> wrote:

I am hoping we can get some input from influences outside of the DOT-  their charge, of course, is to make traffic flow.  There are other very legitimate perspectives and values that should also be accounted for here.  So far, it is just traffic engineering.  I don’t disparage traffic engineering, but ti works from a single set of assumptions and metrics to determine success.

Hopefully the comment period will yield enough push back that the DOT will agree to a more extensive stakeholder outreach, and some additional work prior to pressing on.

I believe the comment period is still open- the poll, and other information about the project, can be accessed, I believe, at this site:

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-440improvements/

Aug 30, 2017, 9:22:07 PM8/30/17
to t...@newcitydesign.com, Joel Rosch, Ph.D., Stuart Levin, Sig Hutchinson, wi...@allenheuer.com, camer...@yahoogroups.com, cameron...@googlegroups.com, dd...@googlegroups.com, Glenwood South Neighborhood Collaborative, Hillsborough CAC listserv, Pulle...@yahoogroups.com, PULLENPARKN...@yahoogroups.com, pullenpa...@googlegroups.com, upha-di...@yahoogroups.com, westmorgann...@googlegroups.com, raleig...@googlegroups.com, BRCAl...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Murison, Will Gaskins, Milazzo II, Joe, Crowder, Kay
P.S. I agree with Ted's points, not taking issue with those at all -- just trying to ensure that in working on this we don't fall prey to a common assumption that NCDOT must and will have a focus only on traffic flow.   The agency often does, but it's not supposed to -- and it has a robust Complete Streets policy, among other policies, that should be applied to this project.  http://www.completestreetsnc.org

Betsy Kane